Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 11:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 317/270/185 Male 5'10.5"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Eating carbs before blood work?

My doctor just ordered some blood work for me and I'm wondering how people generally handle it.

If I remember correctly from NDR Dr. Atkins recommends that you eat some carbs in the days leading up to the test. I don't have the book in front of me and I can't remember the exact time or number of carbs.

Does everyone generally do this? My edition of the book is several years old, is it still recommended? Has anyone had a test without doing this? What were your results?

Thanks,

-Jim
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 12:53

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Arrow

I didn't and my bloodwork (both times) came out wonderful. All I had to do is fast for 12 hours (which I did).
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 13:55

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Jim!

I'm not sure where in the book you saw that or which edition, but I'm pretty sure my current edition says nothing about that.
If you switch how you're eating several days before you get your blood tested, you're not going to get an accurate picture of how your current WOE is affecting your bloodwork.
Everytime I've had my blood tested, I haven't changed anything about how I was eating beforehand. A couple of times I've made some adjustments afterwards depending on the results, but generally my results are pretty good. Good enough for my doctor to be impressed, anyway.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 22:35

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default I didn't

Plus, you want to know how your blood work is while on the diet. If you eat carbs it will alter the true reading.

When I had my bloodwork done, the results were perfect. I was proud because they knew that I wanted bloodwork done because I was on the AD. One nurs felt like she needed to enlighten me. Then she discovered my bloodwork was better than hers.

Black57
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 14:25

Stats: 317/270/185 Male 5'10.5"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default My mistake

Well, I checked the book today, and as it turns out I remembered it wrong. It just goes to show you the value of actually going back and reading the book once in a while.

As it turns out, he did suggest this but only for a glucose tolerance test. He says about this test:

Quote:
The test results are not considered accurate unless you are on full-carbohydrate intake (200 grams a day for four days)

This is from the 1995 Trade Paperback edition on page 75.

I guess way back then it stuck in my head and I've been thinking this ever since.

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad I'm not going to have to go off for the test. I'll tell you how it turns out.

-Jim
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 15:22

Stats: 251/227.5/150
BF:
Progress: 23%

Making sure you're VERY well hydrated is the best thing you can do before a blood draw. This may be a bit off topic, but my veins are famous for rolling. I drink almost a gallon of water before a draw and it helps then plump and stay still!