Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 16:07

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 213/130/130 Female 5'5.5"
BF:21.83%
Progress: 100%
Default I need success stories about GTF chromium!

Okay, I finally broke down and bought a bottle of GTF Chromium (although, the bottle says GTF chromium picolinate...hope this is the same thing) at 200 mcg.

I've read about it in CALP and am more interested in using this product to reduce fat while helping to maintain/build lean muscle than in using it to reduce sugar cravings. Have any of you noticed that this supplement has helped you with this particular situation?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 19:11

Pleeeeeeeease!!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-11-05, 01:00

Plan: Whole30 (Paleo)
Stats: 600/253/225 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 93%

Well I am not sure if this counts but since I started taking GTF Chromium a few weeks into my plan, I have seen very consistent fat loss. I have just started a strength building plan so I will let you know if I think it is helping!

Mike
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-11-05, 07:09

Plan: CAD and 12 DD (Mayo)
Stats: 223/206/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Don't have a personal success story as of yet. I am planning to get some and do it myself. But from what I understand, it is supposed to be plain GTF Chromium, with no added anything. And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a google search found this page first: http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/glucose.html.
Q: Is chromium picolinate the same as GTF chromium? Can I take the picolinate instead?

A: It is important to know that chromiums are not created equal. Chromium picolinate is not GTF chromium. There have been some concerns regarding the picolinate part of chromium picolinate and until that issue is clarified, we would not recommend taking chromium picolinate.

To our knowledge, however, there has never been any question regarding the safety of GTF chromium. If GTF chromium supplementation is selected (as always after consultation with a doctor), it is important that it contain no other additives, such as niacin. The label should state that the product has "biological activity".

Be aware that taking a vitamin pill that contains chromium is not the same as taking GTF chromium; most vitamin pills do not contain biologically active chromium.

What you take with your GTF chromium is important. Zinc competes with chromium for absorption and therefore it is generally recommended that GTF be taken with no food or other supplementations.

The daily recommended supplementation of GTF is 200 micrograms. GTF usually comes as a 100 microgram tablet or as a 200 microgram tablet. Toxic levels are 10,000 times that found in a 200 microgram tablet and therefore is considered safe.

More information on GTF can be found in our most recent books for adults, The Carbohydrate Addict's LifeSpan Program and Healthy For Life .
Sorry, Sandy! Can you take it back and get plain GTF?

#5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-11-05, 18:49

Thank you, Mike, for telling me about your success so far while using this supplement.

Cad--I tried looking for that and even asked the sales lady if they had any without the words picolinate in it, but she said that all chromium has picolinate in it but that this was, indeed, GTF chromium. (Sigh) I guess I'll just use up this bottle and see if I notice any change. It not, I'll get the other kind. Thanks!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-12-05, 05:56

Plan: CAD and 12 DD (Mayo)
Stats: 223/206/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

WOW Sandy! I didn't realize you had gotten all the way down to 132! CONGRATS! So CALP is defeintley working for you! Are you going to be happy at 130? I know you lowered your target weight a while back. I think you look great in your pics now, but do what is right for you!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-12-05, 16:04

Thank you so much Cad! I am very happy to be so close to goal. I'm just going to work on decreasing a bit more body fat while increasing my muslce mass. I need to keep that ol' metabolism stoked! LOL
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 17:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/148/135 Female 5 ft. 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 74%

I just ordered this from vitamin world and took advantage of the buy 1 get 1 half price sale, so 200 pills was $10! Can't wait to start! I'm starting CALP tomorrow, wish me luck!