Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-08, 20:26

Plan: general LC
Stats: 202/144/135 Female 62 inches
BF:grr, no i FF
Progress: 87%
Default afraid to let my clothes go

ok what's the deal? i've dropped close to 30 pounds in 3 months, and a size or 2 in my jeans size. i've gotten some cool jeans that actually fit to replace the ones that are saggy, baggy and look like clown pants. why am i having such a hard time getting the saggy pants out of my house?

it's not like i want to look like MC Hammer at work lol. i want to get clothes that fit and compliment my new curves. why do i insist on keeping some of my old jeans "just in case"? seems like i'm setting myself up for a justifiable failure. i'm smarter than that. for what it's worth, i did go thru my closet and dresser today and freecycled 2 huge garbage bags of clothes, and my friend who helped motivate me took home another 3 shopping bags.

any insights?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-08, 07:44

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

There's an old saying:

If you want to have your kids move out of the house after they've become of age to do so, you need to break their dinner plates.

-------------------

Apply that logic to wanting to keep your new weight and wanting that fat you lost to stay away, so throw out those old clothes that are baggy and saggy..........

Set yourself up for success never look back. Just keep doing all the right things you've learned to do...
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-08, 07:46

LOL i've never heard that before. BUT i was still living at home at age 25, with a toddler. my parents MOVED 2 hours north and left me to sell the house. their intent wasn't to get rid of me, but i finally got the point

thanks for the insight.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-08, 09:17
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I have been in the same mode in the past. My closet holds clothes size 24 to size 8. Currently, I wear a 20 and I cringe at the thought of getting rid of my 24's or even 22's for that matter.

It's a safe comfort zone that I too am having trouble stepping out of. It's a journey
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-08, 10:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

The old clothes are a safety net- but you don't NEED a safety net any more.

I did the same thing for a long time and finally decided to do a major purge and got rid of everything unflattering. believe me, there wasn't much left to wear to go shopping!!!

When you are ready, you'll purge too.

Take a little advice and make sure you have some new stuff first LOL. Otherwise you'll be shopping in a towel!

Take care, Julie
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-08, 20:01

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

I didn't mention before, but I too had many different sizes from out dated/out of fashion size 34" waist pants all the way to 42" waist pants and shirts from Medium to Extra Large.

I cleaned my closet out once about 2 years ago and again about a year ago. I now have new size 34" and 36" pants and only new medium and a few large shirts. I also threw out a slew of underwear in all sizes and started new with that too...

It felt scary at first, but it gave me a whole new sense of freedom when I did finally clean out my closet and drawers....
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-08, 17:56

Plan: LC combo
Stats: 223/211/150 Female 5ft.4in.
BF:
Progress: 16%

I'm going through my closet over Christmas and filling bags for Goodwill. I struggle over winter to maintain or even lose weight. I often gain but getting ride of bigger sizes will mean that I cannot do that and I will have to be vigilant. I have decided not to buy any new clothes until I maintain this winter. I will keep the same wardrobe. I might a couple of dress jackets but nothing else unless I wear something out. I DO need new sweats (mine are too big) for tai chi and body sculpt this winter. And new sneakers for the walking track at the rec center. But nothing else until spring! Cheers!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-08, 19:50
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 180/135/135 Male 68
BF:
Progress: 100%

They make you feel good about yourself.

It's something you can point to and say..."I accomplished that!"

Advice: Find something else to hang your hat on...Paint something build a shelf, do volunteer work etc
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-08, 17:21

Plan: atkins/low carb
Stats: 209/158/130 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 65%

i HAD saved ALOT of smaller sizes..from size 8 to 16 and then once I was small enough to fit in them (SOMEDAY finally came) I found that they were out of style and I hated them! So I saved them all that time for nothing lol...if they don't fit, ditch them! You may even find your taste has changed....mine did.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-08, 17:54

Stats: 185/166/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default What she said

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyone
i HAD saved ALOT of smaller sizes..from size 8 to 16 and then once I was small enough to fit in them (SOMEDAY finally came) I found that they were out of style and I hated them! So I saved them all that time for nothing lol...if they don't fit, ditch them! You may even find your taste has changed....mine did.

I find it a lot easier to get rid of old clothes if I look at them and say "even if these fit, would I really want to wear them?" It is surprising how often the answer is a resounding NO! I always have things in my closet I should get rid of. I only have one little black dress I hope to wear again someday. I have a couple other dresses I should try on. They were just a 'little' too small before and I never really got a chance to wear them. Shouldn't have boughten them in the first place.

All my clothes are old and dumpy. I could definately do with a new wardrobe, but I don't want to buy much just in case I lose a few more pounds :-)
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-08, 20:49

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Maybe you need to mourn your clothes, especially if they were favorites. I used to have this problem and then I switched to shopping exclusively at the local thrift store. Sometimes I accidentally buy back my own clothes, but that's another thread.

I have virtually no investment in my clotrhes anymore. They get recycled back through a great cause (the thrift store employs ex-offenders in recovery), cost me almost nothing and I can clean out my closet on a very regular basis.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-08, 21:50

Stats: 185/166/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default I love thrift stores

Unfortunately, my current town doesn't have as great of sales as I'm use to.
I still love shopping there! I really need to visit some of the others around town. I am a creature of habit. I figure for $4 I can wear something a few times the ditch it if it doesn't work. If something costs $20 plus I feel more obligated to keep it.

Maybe over X-mas break I can get some 'shopping' done. I need to stop munching and stay away from carbs. It's just not working for me this month. I guess I need to just be grateful I'm not gaining weight.

hugs,
zodes
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-08, 07:08

Stats: 280/149/130 Female 63 inches
BF:

I have clothes in sizes up to 26 and am currently wearing 14/16, so I guess that's a bit ridiculous. I had a yardsale recently to try to offload some of them but nobody bought any of them. I'm thinking abut ebaying them in lots by size or something, as I know how hard it can be to find cute plus sized clothes. I also feel bad that most of them didn't get much wear due to my constantly fluctuating weight.

I really need to organize my clothes. Now I keep pulling out "skinny" clothes and finding I should have gotten them out months ago because now they're too big and I missed the window when I could have worn them.

If I was rich I'd take everything to the thrift store and start over, but unfortunately I'm on a limited disability income so budgeting for clothes takes some doing.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-08, 08:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/198.6/170 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

When I first lost a bunch of weight, I put all my bigger clothes in a couple of large garbage bags. They sat around, cause I too was afraid to get rid of them one day dh asked me what they were, and like a fool I told him. Next day, when I was at work, he took me at my word: I said they were clothes that didn't fit and I was giving them to good will. He took them to goodwill. I guess I was just shocked. Where were my back up fat clothes?
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-08, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Maybe you need to mourn your clothes, especially if they were favorites. I used to have this problem and then I switched to shopping exclusively at the local thrift store. Sometimes I accidentally buy back my own clothes, but that's another thread.

I have virtually no investment in my clotrhes anymore. They get recycled back through a great cause (the thrift store employs ex-offenders in recovery), cost me almost nothing and I can clean out my closet on a very regular basis.

hahahaha that's darn funny!! DH once bought me the exact same birthday card 2 years in a row - i asked him if he liked that card or something.

i hear ya on the thrift stores too. we have a dig and save outlet, where all the stuff that didn't sell in the regular thrift stores gets dumped into HUGE boxes, and you pay for clothing by the pound. you dig thru the boxes, and you save a lot of cash. wednesdays are 1/2 price day. i went the day before thanksgiving and got a TON of clothes for $6. including, but not limited to, 7 new pair of jeans - yay!! i think i'll be going back down there again soon lol.