Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 13:49
Registered Member

Plan: Who knows!
Stats: 124/117/103 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:20% / 19% / 16%
Progress: 33%
Angry So angry all the time...

This past week (when I started again...I didn't know caffeine was bad and that scotch, even though very low in carbs, is stalling too) I have been in such a horrible mood. Is this normal on Atkins? I get so mad at everybody about everything. Is there any way to fix this? I hate feeling this way!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 14:04
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hi....

Yes I think that detoxing from caffiene and carbs causes mood swings. At least it did for me and others I have known.

But from your other posts I think maybe this maybe more then that.... maybe you might want to talk to someone (a doctor or clergy or whoever you would feel comfortable for guidance) for some help with dealing with your issues.

You don' t need to go through this stuff alone and you don't need to abuse your body either.

Take care.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 14:05

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Caffeine is not good - but many people drink coffee or diet coke and still lose weight. Scotch is very low in carbs - but yes, any alcohol is goind to slow down your weight loss.

If giving everything up is having such a negative effect on you I suggest you have the odd cup of coffee and a scotch from time to time - just don't overdo it.

You're supposed to enjoy this way of eating!

Robert
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 14:15
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

When I first detoxed from caffeine I was on a mood swing roller coaster from hell for a week!! Only I swung between slight depression to anger and back. I took Advil to help with the headaches, and going for a walk helped a little with the mood.

As for the scotch, did you try anything that helped you stay away from it while pregnant?

Hang in there for a couple of days and it will be better!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 14:43

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Withdrawal can make you feel irritable or even make you feel downright mean and ugly. I know when my DH was going through carb witdrawal right about the third day I had to remind him that our offspring weren't on the menu and offer to get him a tire to gnaw on it if would help him chill out.
Pair carb withdrawal with caffeine withdrawal or withdrawal from anything else and yes, you're bound to feel like biting someone's head off for a while.
If this is more than carb or caffeine withdrawal, then you don't have to go it alone...see your doctor or a counselor for help.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 14:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/168/160 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 80%

give it about two weeks or so and you should start feeling better. Detox from carbs is no fun. Try to stay away from the alcohol for at least two weeks and it will help if you are stalling.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 14:52

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I'm afraid that I have to agree with lkonzelman on this. You seem to be dealing with a lot in your life. Maybe I'm just assuming too much, but it seems with the way you have mentioned alcohol in your posts, it occurs to me that you may have a drinking problem. (Not all alcoholics drink EVERY day. Keep that in mind.) And don't forget that alchol is a natural depressant.

As for LCing, most people experience less mood swings and sudden anger with time. If you're not feeling better in a week or so, then I would consider the fact that your depression may not be nutritionally based. You may need to seek a medical alternative.

I know that this sounds harsh and preachy, but I hate to see anyone in pain who doesn't need to be. I hope you find what you're looking for, hun. There are LOTS of people on this board who would be more than willing to talk to you and help you through whatever it is that you are dealing with. You've taken a good step with your nutrition. Please consider taking on your other problems, too. There's a lot of good life to live out there.

~Angi~
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 16:15
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Considering that you have a new baby, I'd think it's more likely to be stress and postpartum depression than anything else. Of course, caffeine withdrawal probably isn't helping matters either. You may want to talk to your OB about coping with the "baby blues" -- my kids are four-legged, so I can't help much there!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 16:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL/BFL exercise
Stats: 142/137/130
BF:
Progress: 42%

I have to agree with some of the wise folks on this board. It seems like you are having more issues than just low carbing. Your picture doesn't even look happy. From some of your other posts I see that you are fitting into a size 7 jeans, you have a healthy baby, a fiance, and a mother. These are all reasons to start being happy. Were you happy before low carbing? Dallasalis
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 17:13

Stats: 153/139/120
BF:
Progress: 42%

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dallasalis
Your picture doesn't even look happy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Much as I hate to say this, I agree with dallasalis----when I first saw your picture, I thought you looked very, very sad. Coming from a person who has suffered depression (alot!), I'm not at all being "holier than thou". Please, sweetie, look inward. Start writing......I can't stress enough what that can do for you. I had a friend telling me for 2 years that I just needed to pick up a notebook and start writing. I didn't listen until a year ago....OMG!!! It's like free therapy. Most people don't know where to start with writing. All you do is have your own notebook, sit down alone (or with your babe near you), and write what's in your head. It will probably start out really lame like "today I went to work, then came home".....but start writing about how you FELT when you went to work. Pretty soon you are scrawling so fast, your pen can't keep up! And, insights about yourself are revealed nearly everytime you write. Just make yourself write three pages worth at a sitting before you give up-----by the time you've written 2-3 pages, you should be "opening up" to new ideas about who you are/what you are/what's bugging you.

Please, darlin', try it......
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 20:05

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Not all alcoholics drink EVERY day

Motis...you're absolutely right. My mother was an alcoholic. She could go for weeks or even months without a drink, but when that abstinence broke, she could be on a bender that lasted equally long or for just a few days. We never knew which it would be and I don't think she did, either.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 21:28

Plan: atkins 20-30 carbs
Stats: 164/155/125 Female 61
BF:30%/?/?
Progress: 23%

You're using the alchohol to drown some sorrow I think. I know it may be hard, but for your baby's sake try and not let the scotch take so much control that you are angry at everyone at all times. Rejoice in your new baby and you'll see that the caffeine and scotch cravings will diminish and soon you will feel like the pre-baby you! If you really, truly want to stop the habit, talk to someone, maybe a friend and tell them to help you cope. Sometimes we need someone to pick us up when we fall. Think of it this way, things could be so much worse than you think they really are. Look at the world and all the misery then, look at your beautiful baby and be glad that you have been given such a gift. Try and try and don't give up, do this for you, and the baby. You will feel better soon.

Smile, you have friends here!

Terry
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 21:42
aznlily68

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

im feeling the exact same way!! im a complete grouch and i hate it!!!
i dont drink, i dont take in any caffiene....whats wrong with me??
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 23:02

Stats: 187/178.5/145
BF:28 (goal <24)
Progress: 20%
Default food intolerances?

I'm just going to throw this out as a possibility. Is there something you've recently begun to eat as part of the low carb diet that you didn't eat before? The detox idea is a very logical one, but as someone who has fairly drastic mood swings due to food intolerances, I know that food you have added to your menu might be a culprit, too.

Most of my trigger foods are carbs (wheat is a big one), but milk makes me loony, too. Is there anything you recently began to eat (soy? milk? new cheese? artificial sweetener?) that you didn't eat before you began low carbing? You could try eliminating a suspect food for three or four days (I find that it takes three days for something to cycle through my system) just to see if that's the culprit.

There's also a possibility that you have a real reason to be angry and the carbs used to be a way to numb yourself to that anger. I certainly have family members who use alcohol as the numbing agent of choice; it's so effective for so many. It does, however, have undesirable side effects.

I hope you have some success figuring this out.

GG
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 03:48

Stats: 230/206/187 Male 196 cm
BF:
Progress: 56%

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dallasalis
Your picture doesn't even look happy.
Much as I hate to say this, I agree with dallasalis----when I first saw your picture, I thought you looked very, very sad.

Lets not talk this lady into a depression she might not have at all. She only mentioned that she got angry all the time and since she also told that she drinks coffee and scotch, I’d say it’s the alcohol and the Caffeine that’s making your insulin respond. You’ll then feel the same as when you have a “regular” Hypoglycemia attack.
Quit drinking is always a wise plan and start drinking decaf if you insist on drinking coffee at all.

Well anyway, those are my thoughts. Sorry if I insulted somebody

Pax_dl.