Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-08, 09:00

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Interesting cause of diabetes

http://www.ssri.psu.edu/news/112006c.htm.

This is very interesting finding. I truly believe that the answer to the most complicated questions are very simple. I hope in my lifetime they can answer it.

Quote:
It's not because there's been a change in the genetic composition of the population. it's because something has changed in our environment

Probably this could defy that everything is genetic.The environment is equally a culprit.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-08, 12:24

BF:

possibly that is one of the reasons ayurvedic practitioners prescribe triphala for diabetes though it is a stomach tonic.

Last edited by chandbaby1 : Wed, Jul-02-08 at 12:33.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-08, 12:38
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandbaby1
Probably this could defy that everything is genetic.The environment is equally a culprit.

Genes and environment never exist alone. Some people will never become diabetic no matter what they eat. The fact that in identical twins, the likelihood that if one twin develops Type 2, the chance that the other will is something like 95%, makes the genetic connection very obvious. It doesn't matter if the twins are living in different environments at the time. I agree that the increase in HFCS has much accelerated the development of Type 2. You can circumvent Type 2 with a low carb diet.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-08, 12:41
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

This could be interesting indeed. We already have ulcers that are caused by bacteria, and some heart disease and maybe cancers.

I have long suspected some types of arthritis as being an infection of some sort. Just getting my plug in - in case it's true and I end up being prophetic.

Hmm... I wonder how many very obese people ever had their appendix out. I did.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-08, 12:47
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Unless the infection is passed along at birth or by breast feeding, and waits for a trigger to activate. Or maybe the susceptibility to the bacteria is inherited. You could still get it if you are not prone, but it's harder. There are possibilities.

Of course as a good OCD should, I suspect bacteria of everything.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-08, 12:52

BF:

I think that genetics and environment are seamless and can be changed either ways.Now the question of twins I think the probability that one of the babies have infection while in the womb, with the probability that other one also has it would be the same as the genetic factor.

The more i think about it and research about it, there is strong corelation between genetics and environment. I prefer to think that both of these are the same thing meaning you are what your environment is. Both can be changed and I wouldnt go far as to say it is in our hands. But hopefully in the hand of mankind after decades to come.

One more research on environment changing the gene.

http://www.livescience.com/health/617094.html
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-08, 12:53
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Type 1 is probably caused by a virus which confuses the immune system into attacking the pancreas. There is a smaller hereditary factor too. The co-morbidity of twins is 50%.

There are a lot of pieces which haven't been put together yet. There may be multiple etiologies for diabetes.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-08, 12:57
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandbaby1
I think that genetic and environment are seamless and can be changed either ways.Now the question of twins I think the probability that one of the babies have infection while in the womb, with the probability that other one also has it would be the same as the genetic factor.

I think you can go WAY overboard in blaming the environment too. We all have our biases. You have to look at all the science and looking at all the science right now begs more questions than it answers. In the meantime, I choose to focus on how I can better live more normally right now.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-08, 13:04

BF:

Quote:
I think you can go WAY overboard in blaming the environment too. We all have our biases. You have to look at all the science and looking at all the science right now begs more questions than it answers. In the meantime, I choose to focus on how I can better live more normally right now.

I know we need to focus on the things that can be done right now to control our lives and live the fullest we can. But it is human nature to keep searching for complete answers but we should never worry too much about it.

Life is good as it is today, havent felt sleepy all day and that for me is a blessing. Now may be I will meditate on that diabetes gene and turn it off.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-08, 13:22
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Chandbaby, your genetic predisposition for diabetes may not manifest at all if you continue to eat well.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-08, 13:26

BF:

that is true but I think I have more problems with stress and fatigue than diabetes. If I cannot control that then there is no way out. It took me a while to understand that i am stressed.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-08, 13:32
Dazed and Confused

BF:

I'm sorry to hear you are so stressed. There is always a way out though. You just have to keep looking for solutions that work for you.