Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 20:20

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Default Insulin levels or Magnesium levels...what is going on HELP!

Okay first of all I suffer from major depression which has made it difficult to lose weight. However, I lost 80 pounds two years ago on low carb but regained it all on meds that I am now off of and now low carb worsens the depression! Recently, I started hormone therapy and am trying to lose the weight again! Last year it took me six months to lose 20 pounds which I have kept off. I did the C25K Program and lost 1 pound or 2, can't remember...in 9 weeks eating low carb...on plan!

Recently, I did a liver cleanse and then started blending fruits and vegetables to see if it affected my depression and if I lost any weight. Well, I didn't lose any weight but my depression was much less. The smoothie usually consisted of a banana, two cups of green raw veggies, 1/2 cup cottage cheese 1/2 cup plain yogurt, 1 T. black strap molasses, and 2 T. flax....and ice!

Late in the day for lunch I had a low carb meal and for dinner a low carb meal but I was having about two fruits a day and enjoying how I was eating... My depression was much better eating the fruits and veggies...still lower carb but not 75 like Schwarzbein recommends...

I then read Schwarzbein which said I was getting too many carbs to lose....especially the banana! I was getting about 123-150 carbs a day...and wasn't losing much but clothes were looser. Started CAD and have really had my depression worsen. On a side note when I have been hospitalized I always have low potassium....fasting insulin was around 90 but I think that I definitely have insulin resistance, etc.

Anyway I'm thinking I was feeling worse because of low potassium levels...I feel good after breakfast and forget lunch and then end up eating dinner... Today I started having dizziness, blurred vision, anxiety, burning in hands and feet, and tingling in arms and head and I think it was either low blood sugar or low magnesium. I took the magesium and felt better...then a few bites of banana and felt much better...and 15 minutes later am feeling much better!

The doctor won't do the test where you drink and wait and test because he feels my levels are "normal." However, I'm thinking the insulin levels are what is impacting my depression...AND the lower levels of carbs on bernsteins plan.

Does anyone have any suggestions because I think I want to go back to how I was eating in terms of more fruits and veggies because it was definitely helping my depression...it was also giving me the energy I needed to exercise...

It's so confusing and I need some help... I tried South Beach before and liked it but for the low fat items...

TJ
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 23:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't know if this is any help but my vet put my cat on potassium gluconate and I went to iherb.com and found I can buy it powdered there for a lot cheaper than my vet sells it. I put it this morning in a smoothie. I think it was 500ish mg per tsp.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 05:56

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Low potassium has other more serious potential effects. Do make sure you have potassium each day. I am sure you know this is an electrolyte and it has a lot to do with keeping the heart ticking, etc., etc.,

Since I am still using a diuretic I have a prescribed dose of potassium each day, which keeps my potasium levels in the normal range.

I also take 1200mg of magnesium a day; 600 in the AM and 600 in the PM.

As to depression, I cannot talk. Fortunately, no real experience with it.

Are you getting enough sleep; 7 hours or more each night?

Ralph
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 10:35

Thanks guys, I've had panic attacks lately when low carbing and thinking I was having a heart attack, and as I said I know I'm low but the doctors suck!

Thanks Nancy I'll check out the powdered potassium...

Dancin what type of magnesium are you taking? I heard that oxide was the best...Schwartzbein recommends it three times a day....and I was only taking it once. When I upped the dosage I felt better to twice a day.

In regards to sleep, I notice I sleep better when I eat more carbs and upped the magnesium...

I have also been reading up about magnesium and insulin based on some posts I read on here and it sounds like there is a direct correlation...perhaps that could be the key to my weight loss or lack thereof!!!

Thanks again,

TJ
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 11:05

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

About potassium:
RDA is 3500 mg.Most potassium pills are about 100 mg-relatively
worthless.SlimFast shakes have a relatively high potassium content.It appears fairly difficult to get RDA from dietary sources.
Eddie
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 11:12

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

About magnesium:
Magnesium citrate is most absorbable form.
About calcium:
Calcium citrate is most absorbable.Forget Buthead Barefoot's coral calcium.
Eddie
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 14:48

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
About magnesium:
Magnesium citrate is most absorbable form.
About calcium:
Calcium citrate is most absorbable.Forget Buthead Barefoot's coral calcium.
Eddie

ROTFL at butthead barefoot's coral calcium. I agree. Citrate is best for both.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 19:04

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

I used to own a 357 Magnesium

but, a note to the opening poster... You're pretty much answering your own concerns from what I'm reading in your posts... You don't seem to function well on a very low carb diet... If you up the carbs and almost all of those carbs are from fresh fruits and vegetables and you stay away from refined carbs, I think you'll still be able to lose weight and probably feel a whole lot better...
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 19:41
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:

Dancin what type of magnesium are you taking? I heard that oxide was the best...Schwartzbein recommends it three times a day....and I was only taking it once. When I upped the dosage I felt better to twice a day.

I always heard that oxide is the worst, least absorbed. It's good for curing constipation though, you don't absorb it well so it all acts in the intestines.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 23:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
I used to own a 357 Magnesium

but, a note to the opening poster... You're pretty much answering your own concerns from what I'm reading in your posts... You don't seem to function well on a very low carb diet... If you up the carbs and almost all of those carbs are from fresh fruits and vegetables and you stay away from refined carbs, I think you'll still be able to lose weight and probably feel a whole lot better...

Thanks all...

Cajun, I wish it were that simple...I've stayed away from refined carbs since last year and lost nothing...mostly maintaining my last years losses....maybe eating something refined twice a month. You are right, however, that I feel better on more carbs...moderate carbs...anything more than that and I feel like I ate too much and anything less than that depession worsens.

I guess I need to have a discussion with my doctor and see if there is something else going on...and continue eating whole foods.

TJ
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-09, 04:52

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
Thanks all...

Cajun, I wish it were that simple...I've stayed away from refined carbs since last year and lost nothing...mostly maintaining my last years losses....maybe eating something refined twice a month. You are right, however, that I feel better on more carbs...moderate carbs...anything more than that and I feel like I ate too much and anything less than that depession worsens.

I guess I need to have a discussion with my doctor and see if there is something else going on...and continue eating whole foods.

TJ

It isn't just upping the carbs... In my experience I've upped the variety of vegetables and fruits.. about 20 vegetables and 3 fruits per day. To get in a large variety simply means to eat a little less of each one thing. I had trouble losing and maintaining until I started doing this and yes, it is that simple. It takes a while of eating for nutrition for our bodies to get healthy, but they eventually will respond better and more efficiently to a diet filled with many sources of nutrition. Good luck......
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-09, 06:26

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
Thanks guys, I've had panic attacks lately when low carbing and thinking I was having a heart attack, and as I said I know I'm low but the doctors suck!

Thanks Nancy I'll check out the powdered potassium...

In regards to sleep, I notice I sleep better when I eat more carbs and upped the magnesium...

I have also been reading up about magnesium and insulin based on some posts I read on here and it sounds like there is a direct correlation...perhaps that could be the key to my weight loss or lack thereof!!!

Thanks again,

TJ

Yes, I am taking the citrate form as stated in another post the most absorbable.

However, I would like to hear more about what you are finding with insulin and magnesium elsewhere.

Always willing to learn more.

As to potassium, I am taking a prescription dose, which is much higher than those over the counter pills: KLOR-CON M20 TAB 20MEQ ER.