Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 11:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236.5/210/165
BF:
Progress: 37%
Exclamation Your never gonna guess what!? Ladies only please!

Okay, for the last oh..year my cycles have been going wacko. I would have my regular cycle and then two weeks later have another. The last few months, prior to beginning induction the break through and spotting was almost constant. The flow was also so heavy I didn't dare go far from the little girls room. So I made an appointment for my annual exam and talked with my doc about all this mess. She ordered a bunch of tests and I get the results back on Friday. But, check this out.... I was doing induction for the third week last week and having pretty good results. I had more energy than ever...no need to nap in the afternoon like I would prior to Atkins. The bleeding stopped! But that's not the freaky thing. Saturday I catered a golfing event. I made sloppy joes, potato salad, we had fruit, and cake out the wazzo! I ATE that food that evening after serving all day long I was in no mood to cook another bite. The next day was a church carry in and I went ahead and ate "normal" food with brownies for a snack that night. Okay, here's the weird. Monday I started bleeding again! Monday morning I got back on induction. I bled all day Monday and Tuesday. I limmited my carbs down to like 10 and today, Wednesday the bleeding has STOPPED!!!!

Now how freaky is THAT!

I'm going to have to talk to the doc about that when I go to get my results on Friday.

Anyone else ever experience this?

Daisy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 12:20

Plan: Atkins 220.5lbs Jan 2007
Stats: 250/220.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/25%
Progress: 30%
Default WOW, good for you!

i'M NEW, SO i HAVEN'T EXPERienced that as of yet, but that sounds very promising! Maybe you are getting better nutrients or something? Whatever the reason, it sounds like the LCing is helping You go, girl!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 17:24

Stats: 187/140/135 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Me too, well sort of....

My TOM ocurred about 3 days into induction. The length of time did not decrease, but lo and behold, I did not have to spend an entire day in bed with cramps. I had some slight twinges, but I was out of Ibuprophen, or any other pain reliever for that matter, and wound up not needing them, after all. I'm 39 and this is probably the least painful TOM that I've ever had.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 19:20

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Changes in your cycle are very common when you start Induction. You could skip a period and not have one until the second month. You could have a period early, or have breakthrough bleeding even when on the BC Pill. You could find that long or short cycles tend to become regular at around 4 weeks. Low carbing is a recognized treatment for PCOS - an insulin based syndrome which is characterized by infertility and other symptoms. Many women who began low carbing for this condition are now mothers. And PMS symptoms, including water retention, seem to diminish for many people on LC.

Daisy, I am glad you are seeing your doctor on Friday. This is beyond anything I have heard of - on these boards or otherwise. Not everything is due to low carbing, so it is good that you are seeing the doctor. Some of your symptoms sound like perimenopause when things can change a lot. BUt some things like fibroids (benign growths NOT cancer) can also cause these irregularities.

Hope you get good results from the doctor.

#5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 07:22

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I moved the thread to General Health due to the nature of the subject

Hope you don't mind.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-02, 05:11

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 238/212/180 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I'm not sure if this has any relation to your situation, however I do know that heavier women have higher levels of estrogen. The peripheral fat layers cause higher levels of estrogen production. That is why it is very, very rare to find overweight women suffer from osteoporosis.

Anyway, with weight loss, I'm wondering if this in some way is effecting your hormonal balance, but that really wouldn't fluctuate from eating carbs a day or two. Wow, that would be an interesting puzzle to find the answer to.

Good luck.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 14:33
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/297.6/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 37%

This question might be way out in left field but do you take melatonin? Melatonin can cause heavy bleading and spotting between periods, it can even cause daily bleeding.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 17:26

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Actually, insulin affects most of your hormones. So it's not unthinkable that low-carbing would have a radical and quick affect on your hormones since it drastically lowers your insulin levels.

;-Deb
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 07:55
Registered Member

Stats: 245/183/150
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Definitely interesting and worth checking into!

Since my website deals with menopause, and since I've been losing weight by lc'ing, this topic really caught my attention.

I haven't personally experienced these effects because I've been post-menopausal for 14 years, but I've been curious if I would start getting hot flashes again after losing my estrogen-producing fat.

This is something for my experts to help me figure out and I will put the questions to them (doctors who help me figure out the medical stuff).

I've been concerned about my bone density since not drinking milk, but I'm taking calcium/magnesium supplements, so I hope that helps. No insurance so I haven't had a bone density test before or since starting my weight loss.

Dee
"Rebel with the Pause"
http://www.minniepauz.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newpet3.jpg (48.3 KB, 4 views)
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 06:27
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:

Originally posted by MinniePauz

<b>I haven't personally experienced these effects because I've been post-menopausal for 14 years, but I've been curious if I would start getting hot flashes again after losing my estrogen-producing fat. </b>

This last year my 70 year old mother has been lifting weights and has reduced her body fat to around 17% and now she is experiencing hot flashes. Thanks to you Minnie I know why.

As for bone density, there are some great products that might help with that such as wild yam and a progesterone cream. Weight bearing exercises also benefit probably the most, my mom has increased her bone mass dramatically since lifting weights and walking the treadmill 6 days a week.

Osteoporosis is hereditary on my mom's side of the family. I have had a bone density scan and to the doctors amazement I have not lost any bone mass, actually it is very good for a 50 year old.

I don't drink milk either, I take 1800-2400 mg. of calcium daily at bedtime (greater absorption). I use and have been using progesterone cream and will yam since 1999 which my referrences state that these products can help to build bone.

I will try to find the links to this information and post it for all!