Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 19:30

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 151/148/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Not feelin it where I should?

Okay, when I do the hamstring exercises I feel it in my BUTT. Not on my hamstrings. Ive read the instructions over and over but I dont feel it on the back of my legs. I do the dumbell lunges and then I do the deadlift I think its called. Any thoughts? I have nothing other than dumbells, btw.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 20:12
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The lunges are a compound exercise meaning they work more then one muscle group. For more emphasis on the hamstrings, make your lunges very small (only step forward a bit) then go down deep.

For the deadlifts, a curved back is a compound exercise, strait back is isolating hamstrings. Bend foward while looking strait ahead at mirror or wall, make sure to keep your legs strait. Stop when you either are about to curve back or dumbells are about to reach floor. Then very slowly using the power of your hamstrings straiten up.

Rememebr each exercise shoudl be done slow and controlled with no swinging in order to concentrate on muscle instead of having momentium do the work. Keep your abs sucked in tight through out the exercise to prevent the lower back from helping the hamstrings and causing back injury.

Check out http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html for help with form and different exercises for different muscle groups. Pay attention to weather the exercise is an isolate or a compound. When you do the exercise really focus your attention on the muscle being worked.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 13:09
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

LadyBelle,

Thanks for that link, it's an excellent place to find new exercises or check form etc. I hadn't ever been there before, thanks so much.