Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-13, 23:28
Registered Member

Plan: High fat, low carb
Stats: 225/179/180 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Any less strict alternatives to Dr. Bernstein's plan?

My brother was diagnosed a type 1 thirteen years ago. Ever since, he's been more or less following the standard ADA protocol as directed by his doctor. This includes a carb intake far in excess of what I eat. Naturally, his blood glucose levels are all over the place. His A1c is going up and up and he's requiring more and more insulin. He's in his 40's, quite fit and fairly active. AFAIK, he doesn't yet suffer complications brought on by chronically high BG levels, but it's only a matter of time.

In an effort to help him, I bought Dr. Bernstein's 'Diabetes Solution' book and read most of it (he's not much of a reader himself). I could see myself following this plan if I were the one who was type 1. However, I think my brother might find it too difficult to follow. Not so much the diet part. He'll eat what's put in front of him, so to speak. Its the constant testing, logging and adjusting required to keep BG under tight control that I think he'll have a problem with.

Understanding that it would not be as effective as Dr Bernstein's plan, I was wondering if there was some other plan he could follow that wasn't so demanding of him. Would he see benefits if he followed only the diet part of Bernstein's plan? Would that be even possible?

Anyway, I haven't even introduced him to Bernstein's plan yet. He might still surprise me. But just in case, I'd like to have an alternative for him.

Last edited by hawaiinei : Thu, Apr-11-13 at 23:33.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-13, 06:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The Atkins Diabetes Revolution based on Dr. Atkins teachings has 20, 40 or 60 Net carb meal plans, which require calculating and monitoring. Published in 2004, I found it used and at library, though 500 pages may be too much detail and it is mostly about Type 2.

Dr. Westman uses a simple, but strict, 20 total carbs a day. You have to monitor blood sugars very closely as you first start the diet... very low carb can cause major changes to levels and the meds needed quickly, and do it under the care of a physician. I don't know how closely a Type 1 would continue to need to monitor after the first month if he found VLC helped with his BS control. Dr. Westman's plan is in the back of Why We Get Fat. or his new little booklet on Amazon. Less total carbs than Bernstein, but fewer rules about carb intake by meal. But with a Type 1, there may be more rules added by the doctor in your first and subsequent personal visits.... the treatment is specialized by patient.

Might also look around BloodSugar101 for other plans. She has some recommended books for Type1 here:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/18608108.php

You could start digging through the extensive information under the Diabetes Tab on the NMS website. The author of the MeandMyDiabetes website is a Type 1, and is in a VeryLowCarbDiabetes support group in Boulder. http://www.nmsociety.org/diabetes-websites.html

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Apr-12-13 at 09:38.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-13, 00:24
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Janet. You've been very helpful. Looks like I'll be ordering a couple of the recommended books for my brother. Whether he takes the time to read them is another thing.

I gave by brother copies of the testimonials at the beginning of Bernstein's book. If those don't pique his interest, then I'm not sure what would. An Endo who advocates VLC for the treatment Type 1 Diabetes might work too. He's the type that pretty much does what the doctor says, so if the doc said 'eat VLC', he'd do it. Sadly, the GP he sees now is big on high carb.

So how does one go about finding an Endo who advocates low carb? Just go through the yellow pages and call their offices and ask? I looked online for one who has a practice on the island of Oahu but came up empty.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-13, 04:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Calling around is likely best way to find someone. The Paleo Physicians network has some ND, DC and one MD (sports med, obgyn, and at an army med center...that's a confusing entry) on Oahu. http://paleophysiciansnetwork.com/doctors/HI
One mentions dealing with endocrine disorders. They may be able to refer you to MD Endos whose dietary advice is more in line with theirs? Or maybe your brother would try an ND practice for dietary advice?
http://www.naturopathic.org/content...Y&contentid=441

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Apr-13-13 at 04:57.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-13, 08:56
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

I wouldn't advise doing *any* plan if he is not monitoring because he is type 1 and his doctor doesn't know. reducing carb intake will definitely send him into have a diabetic insulin reaction from being too low. Seizures, death, passing out can happen. Reducing carbs means his insulin will have to be adjusted downward. And to know how to adjust it you need to take your BG readings and log your carb count watching how your body reacts.

Is this your worrying or has he said he expressed concern and ask for help?

If it is you being concerned there is only so much you can do. He has to realize the priority and the value of getting his BG under control and do what is necessary.

No one can do it for him.

I speak from experience, diabetes runs in my adoptive family. And I have had good friends with it. I have type 2.

If he is asking for help the same goes about how much you can do. Janet's idea of trying to find a Dr. who has a truly LC philosophy is good. You also might express to your borther Dr.B's plan was written by a guy who experienced complications from type 1 diabetes following a higher carb diet. he was an engineer who went back to school to become a dr in his 40s and had been working will diabetic patients now with success for over 35 years.

Good luck
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-13, 22:18
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thank you both.

Yes, it's just me expressing concern. My brother doesn't really talk about his condition at all. Then again, I haven't really asked him about it either. I understand that there's only so much one can do in my position. But AFAIK, he doesn't know anything about diabetes treatment beyond what his GP has told him, so I just want to present him with some other options that might work, particularly low carb options where I could be of some help.

lovinita, he would not change his treatment plan without the guidance of a physician. But his current GP allows him to eat oatmeal and a banana for breakfast and brown rice with lunch....as long as he covers it with insulin. Horrible advice imo. That's why we need to find sombody else.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-13, 09:44
Triple digit loss

BF:

Hey Hawaiinei,

That is tough. I am surprise he is not seeing an ENT(Endocrinologist) for managing his diabetes. He might not take control until he starts seeing some side effects.

Then again he could be experiencing side effects and you not know it.

Do you know what his A1C is?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-13, 12:07

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiinei
But his current GP allows him to eat oatmeal and a banana for breakfast and brown rice with lunch....as long as he covers it with insulin. Horrible advice imo. That's why we need to find sombody else.

He might not run into trouble for a couple of decades... and then it will be too late.

My father was Type II and faithfully did everything his doctor told him. He had a quad heart bypass in his fifties, laser surgery on his retinas in his sixties, and now in his seventies his mind is completely gone from vascular dementia.

You are right to worry!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-13, 17:11
Triple digit loss

BF:

Hi Hear you Wearbear. That is very sad indeed

I lost my brother ~5 years back to suicide. He was type 1. I believe ultimately that modern medicine failed him, the disease killed him (as depression is a part of it), he killed himself because he refused to do what was necessary to manage the disease (ie take his BG, binges on whole boxes of cereal).

I remember when he was alive he almost died due to gang green. he had a splinter he didn't keep an eye on and take care of like diabetics should be doing(especially type 1s). Turned gang green and he lost 2 fingers.

Having Type 1 really sucks!

Many people who are diabetics that I have known, especially the type 1s. Do not measure their BG or manage it. They don't question the doctors or science. And they suffer the consequences like your father.

Furthermore, they all say the same thing I can have it as long as I adjust my insulin accordingly. And honestly, I don't believe the doctor tells them that. I think the doctors say *if* you go over because you are at a party this is what you do.

My dad is type 2 and has started suffering the consequences the last 10 years. Luckily he wasn't as bad as your dad. He suffers nueropathy at the age of 78. But my mom road him all the time about him eating stuff with carbs in it. So she kept him more in check than the doctors.

The sad thing is "credible" organization are giving incorrect medical advice.

Just go to the ADA (american diabetes association) website. They literally say you can have all your favorites fruits and veggies just keep away from the starchy ones. And BTW carrots are not a starchy vegetable to them.

They even say you can have sorbet ice cream as well as a banana.

For me I had to come to acknowledge people make their own choices because I have been surrounded by diabetics and all, but one, did't manage their disease properly even by ADA standards. And none of them question or investigate on their own what impacts the food is having on their blood sugar.

If I said something, I was butting my nose into their business. They shrug me off. Switch the subject. Or they tell me no the Dr. said this is the way to do it. After all who am I to say anything. I am definitely not the one with the medical degree.

With my brother, my parents harped on him too much (my grandfather was type 1 diabetic and my dad type 2) but he didn't need people harping. If you just talked to him a bit you would find he needed someone to help him emotionally. I remember him saying to me "Yeah, I can have only 10 chips. What is the point of me eating them when I can have only 10.".

I lived about 16 hours away, so it was hard for me to help him. I did go home one time and manage to convince him after a suicide attempt to see a shrink but it didn't last long, a couple of months. he started feeling better. Quite taking the pill and going. Then went back into his old habits/ways.

Some people question and are willing to make necessary changes, giving up an aspect that they might really like. Other people aren't willing to question or give things up that they like.

This end of May will be 5 years since my brother suicide. A part of me wishes I knew now what I knew back them. But honestly, I don't know if it would have made a difference. Especially if he wasn't willing to monitor his own BGs like the doctor told him too. And he ate whole boxes of cereal. If he wasn't willing to control himself. I doubt any knowledge I have know would have affected the outcome.

It is a very tough line to walk. Frankly I am tired of walking it with people I care about because it takes its toll on me.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-13, 05:36

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinita
This end of May will be 5 years since my brother suicide. A part of me wishes I knew now what I knew back then....

It is a very tough line to walk. Frankly I am tired of walking it with people I care about because it takes its toll on me.

I'm so sorry. Change is tough. In addition, depression sucks out any initiative so the person feels like they can't even think about it!

In my case, I got my father the Dr. Bernstein book but we never even discussed it. His wife is a gourmet cook and is convinced that the way I eat will kill me! This was about eight years ago. She was on Weight Watchers and they were both on statins.

Fast forward to NOW. In a shockingly short period of time, my father's condition deteriorates to losing all his memory (statins contributed? recent research says heck yeah) and he has to go into a nursing home. His wife suffers through all this, including the stress of caretaking someone with dementia, and has terrible leg pain, but still won't stop taking her statin, even though she's a woman and there is ZERO research showing it helps women. And she gained back all the weight.

I'm still low carbing and keeping the weight off.

If she still won't listen to me after all of this... I've done all I can.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-24-13, 20:01
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstrin
Stats: 185/157/109 Female 56 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%

once a diabetic- please----- any diabetic whos dr. allow you to bannana ha ha. first read bernsteins book. if his surars are normal your ok if their not fix it.high sugar items are wrong for diabitics things are not forever. once fixed then thats went it gets beter. Does he have a problem with it or you. Supporting him does not mean a magical wond for getting ride of his diqabetic problem it gentic so why dont you have it or is it stupid eating. Trying to do the right thing for him is great.wvets