Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 17:23
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default South beach zucchini lasagne

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 19:34

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

This looks great!

I have cooked a similar recipe in the past, supposedly Yugoslaw in origin, without tomato sauce but mushrooms, sour creme and lots of parsley instead. I will try yours, and maybe change mine!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 07:41

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika4
This looks great!

I have cooked a similar recipe in the past, supposedly Yugoslaw in origin, without tomato sauce but mushrooms, sour creme and lots of parsley instead. I will try yours, and maybe change mine!

Hey can you post yours monika? My husband won't eat tomatoes or tomato sauce so maybe he would actually eat your version.

Jenn
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 11:33

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default beef or vegetarian "lasagne" with zucchini - Sicilian/Yugoslaw style

Jenn, here it is - I got it from a friend who was yugoslaw and there it was called sicilian zucchini. But it is good - hard to make for less than 6-8 people though. Since my kids dont eat it I have not made it since I started SBD.

I will post the original recipe - well, it is the old fashioned style, without amounts, and I have it in German, so I am giving amounts from memory. It also needs to be modified slightly - i.e. probably whole wheat flour instead of white flour and non fat sour creme instead of regular sour creme.

1 kg (2.5. lbs) zucchini - peel, cut length-wize in 1/2 cm (1/5 inch) thick slices
(about 4 long slices from an average size zucchini, 2-3 from a small one, 6 from a large one - don't use ones that are too large if you can avoid). Salt for 3-8 hours - both sides - generously, place them on top of each other on a large sief (sp? ) so that the bitter liquid can drain out.

Rinse well, dry in paper towel.

Cover each side in flour. (I don't think we can skip this - otherwize it won't hold together, especially since the mushroom layer is even more liquidy than the meat layer, and this coating with flour soaks up some of the liquid.)

Use 1/2 of zucchini to layer on the bottom of a large glass baking form (Pyrex?) that was thinly greased. It usually ends up pretty much one layer, plus some of the zucchinis cut into smaller bits to fill the holes.

Middle layer:

a) regular: brown 1 large or 2 small onions with 3 garlic gloves. 1 lb ground meat, paprika, lots of parsley, lots of oregano or Basil or herbes de Province,

b) veggie: brown 2 large onions, 5 garlic cloves in oil slowly, add 1-1.5 lb mushrooms - I often used the brown ones that look like champignons, but also have added some Shitake if you like a stronger mushroom taste - sliced, stir until they soften. Add 1 whole big bunch of parsley finely cut- I really think that is important. Add 1/2-1 cup of sour creme, salt and lots of freshly ground white or black pepper to taste.

Another layer of the other half of the zuccinis.

Last layer: 4 eggs, beaten to foam, 1 cup sour creme, parmesan cheese, 2-3 table spoons bread crumbs - I am sure you can use whole wheat here, salt, mix slowly. Add as last layer on top.

Bake about 45 min - until nice and brown on top - it LOOKS great! - at 200 degrees C, so around 400 degrees F - in the lower half of the oven.

PS: don;'t be too generous with the salt in the top and middle layer. The zucchini are still quite salty after rinsing, it is very easy the first time to oversalt the whole thing

Last edited by Monika4 : Sun, Apr-18-04 at 11:40.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 15:41

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Thanks that sounds wonderful! I'll definately have to try it out.

Jenn
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 17:23
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You could also try looking up recipes for seafood lasgne. I remember making some great ones with white sauce. Maybe use wholewheat lasagne noodles or zucchini for noodles in one of those. If you don't want to use seafood, then tofu or maybe some whitter meat like turkey can work well.