Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-07, 16:02

Plan: urban hunter gatherer :)
Stats: 20/12/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default ghee

NancyLC mentions using ghee quite often and I use it frequently because I just adore the stuff...now I know Paleo is not about the dairy products but as it has been metioned this is nothing but the fat of the butter ..all solids are removed in the process ....some one had asked just how to make ghee and I can not remember what thread it was in but here is a very cool site with a nice intro to making ghee

you can make a wonderful spiced ghee by adding to a pound of butter
(leave the spices coarse I just put them in the mortar and pestal and give them a couple of good wacks that way you can strain the spices off and have a nice clear but tasty ghee)
1 broken cinnamon stick
a few dried chiles
1 tsp coarse cracked coriander
1 tsp smashed cumin seed

simmer the ghee just a little longer than these instructions rec to get the flavors to meld
strain with a fine mesh strainer when done and store in a clean jar (I make 2 lbs of butter at a time because I use it a LOT )

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/...larified-Butter

do you use ghee are there any recipes you use it in that are paleo oreinted that you might like to share?

enjoy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-07, 17:01
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I love ghee! Thanks for the spiced recipe - I will give that a shot. How much to the flavours come through? I usually use ghee on meats.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-07, 20:25

BF:

it is subtle with the amts I gave per lb of butter try that amt and then increase to your desired ...I love the option of adding more in my dish ...

this not an exact recipe..but it is good soup...variations of it are all over the place... ..roast a butternut squash (or for less carbs a pumpkin) take out the pulp and puree it into some coconut milk ...homemade chicken, beef, lamb or whatever stock (I actually use a beefy/mushroom stock often for this) and pour into bowls and top that with some melted spiced ghee and some extra fresh ground pepper coriander and cumin
enjoy

here you go

chicken stock , mashed roasted butternut squash and spiced ghee on top before serving
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-07, 14:28

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 282.8/244.2/120 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Here is another site I found for making ghee. They also have a spice combo that is for dessert ghee and a recipe for making it in the oven as well. Below are the spices used in the seasoned ghee. The article on the website also talks about the importance of using cultured, unsalted organic butter. I haven't every made it or eaten any but I am inclined to try after reading the article.

http://www.rwood.com/Recipes/Homemade_Seasoned_Ghee.htm

1 pound cultured, unsalted organic butter
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon black pepper corns
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 cinnamon stick piece, about 1" long
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon cardamom (preferably whole seed)
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg or mace

Kim
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-07, 14:45

BF:

that looks a lot like Ethiopian spiced ghee but a few extras in it

wonderful with the mace or nutmeg I bet I am going to try this thanks for sharing!