Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 22:58
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 279/260/200 Female 5foot 6inches
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default losing motivation

Hi, my name is Gina.I've lost 37 pounds so far,and was really on fire for low carbing,but lately it's getting easier and easier to cheat.I'm not sure what's going on.You would think having my close falling off me would motivate me more.If anyone has any ideas on how to remotivate I would sure love to hear them.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 23:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226.6/209/154 Female 5'7"
BF:

Hi Gina,

37 pounds is something to be proud of!!!

What works for me is to go back to the Atkins book and read it again, to remind myself of WHY I'm committed to this WOE. But what motivates you really depends on your personality and some people just find it easier to commit to a goal than others.

Also, a huge goal can be sooooo hard to stay focused on, especially if your weight loss is slowing... try setting yourself mini-goals.

My weight has gone up & down like a yoyo this year, I am an impulsive person by nature so it's hard for me to stay committed to something, especially doing it solo. Hubby says he wants to go low-carb whilst stuffing a krispy kreme down his face, so it's actually been harder since he started pretending to do Atkins

However setting a mini-goal has helped for me, as has this forum. However, I am sure there are others with far better advice than me!!!

Good luck. Wow, 37 pounds, you need to pat yourself on the back!!!

Cheers,

Katt
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 00:15
Registered Member

Stats: 187/115/115 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Satin... had to write you to ask "are u afraid of being thin"... you are starting to see results and that should be motivation enough but something might be scaring you and you may want to hide and go back into a safe caccon... your weight gain. What do u think??
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 05:43

Stats: 163/163/130 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:34%
Progress: 0%

satin_moon: as you start cheating and this represents eating more carbs, your cravings grow and as your cravings grow it becomes more and more painful to keep to the diet and fight them. Perhaps you didn't loose your motivation, perhaps you are just fighting huge cravings and at the end of the day don't find it worse the suffering. I sugest you to go back to the book and do 2 weeks of PURE induction with NO CHEATS. That will kill your cravings and get you back in track.

Good luck. Cheers.
H.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 19:54
Registered Member

Stats: 209/190/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 30%

im feeing the same way too.

I keep saying that im going to start induction again, byt I feel like its harder to keep with it. I really need help.

Thenewme makes sense and I think that I am afraid and need to fight it. thank you
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 01:36

Stats: 226.6/209/154 Female 5'7"
BF:

Personally I find induction easier than phase 2 of Atkins... it's just easier for me to eliminate everything rather than introduce little bits, cause I always introduce too much

Katt
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 01:44

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

Katticus, about induction being easier than phase 2? I think its kind of true - the only time I have ever agreed with that Ornish quack was when he said "radical changes are easier to do than half-way ones" and I think that's so - if starches and such are just right out of the diet, your system can adjust to their absence, cravings subside. Intestinal flora change, taste sensors adapt, but if you feed these old needs with occasional treats or cheats, it keeps the cravings alive. So maybe a pretty strict induction might paradoxically be 'easier' than a more liberal phase 2. Could Be????
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 15:53

Stats: 279.6/273/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hi Gina

Reading your post today was really erie. You and I have almost identical stats and weight loss, (i've had to work at it a little longer tho) and you are just across the state line from me (I'm an Okie).

It gets stranger, I haven't been cheating, I'm doing good, clothes are falling off, but I'm struggeling with motivation too.

I've decided that to look at final goal is just toooo far off, and thats depressing, so I am going to take one day at a time. At the end of the day, if I feel good and have made good choices, I'm not going to fritz out over numbers, just do my best.

Maybe we can do this together.

Mary B
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 20:23

Stats: 163/163/130 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:34%
Progress: 0%

I agree with induction beeing easier than fase 2. I get tempted on fase 2 and never on induction. That's why I keep myself on an almost kind of induction except for the ocasional nuts and more varied veggies.

I'm afraid of fases 2 3 and last 4.

Cheers,
H.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 20:39

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

You could try CAD.
The weight loss is slower .Surprisingly I didn’t get any craving on it. When you want to you can go back to Atkins.
Check out VEL’s journal she lost 100 pounds on it.
Pene