Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-07, 22:55

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 240/185/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default Dr's new line cheese has the worst transfat

I know I mentioned my husband had a heart attack in October, and he is doing well, up to 50% of heart pumping up from 35% and the norm is 60-65% according to his cardiologist. And of course after the stent he is on all sorts of meds, including lipitor...which dr said will be forever, even though his Tris are in the 40's and his total chol is 187. But here is the new kicker, he wants him to quit eating cheese as it " has transfat of the worst kind". And though the dr said he likes the fact we low carb, he wants the fats in the diet GONE. I want to argue, but see it will be pointless. Now Phil stil eats his cheese and stays LC, is as a skinny as he was when we first married, no body fat at all anymore, so I know hw will not fall back to his old ways, but how do I counter such stuff?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 06:37
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/297.6/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 37%

JMO
You don't. You can't. You just listen and smile and nod.

And then, you just get off the lipitor and keep eating the cheese, stay low carb, and be sure to take plenty of CoQ10 and vitamin D with calcium and magnesium.

Cheese has fat, natural fat, saturated fat, fat that's good for you; it doesn't have transfats.

When someone doesn't make sense, I stop listening to them (at least on those topics). I don't care how many degrees someone has or what their profession is.

JMO, it's a person's responsibility to educate his/her self in the matter of all issues related to his/her health and welfare.

Read, read, read. All sides of an issue/suggested treatment course, health issues, and especially medications.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 16:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

More proof that any idiot can become an MD.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 17:49
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Cheese, especially the good tasting full fat REAL kind does NOT have transfats. IMHO- can you get a second opinion? My first MD treated me like I should have dropped dead on the way to his office. My next MD said "let's figure this out" and has totally supported my WOL.
Good luck!
E
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-07, 16:04

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

This site has a lot of detail on foods. Including breakdown of fatty acids.
http://www.nutritiondata.com/
I did a quick search, and what mostly came up was cookies and fast food french fries. No cheese on the first two (of five) pages. The only "cheese" that will have trans fats I believe are the ones that aren't cheese. And then you'd have to check. According to this site, Kraft has ~ trans fats and so does Velveeta, which I must admit I found surprising.

Whether or not you are up front with your doctor is up to you, but I do not believe cheese is going to hurt him. It'll help. Good cholesterol comes from saturated fats (other things too).

Here's my search result URL for trans fats 200 call svg
http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-...0000000000.html

ETA: Maybe if you have the paper, print out the list for the doc..
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-07, 16:15

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Perhaps the good doctor is confusing transfats with saturated fats or mistakenly believes that saturated fats are the same thing as transfats? Satfats have been villainized for so long, I could see how even medical professionals could think of them as being the same.
Doesn't make it right or okay, but perhaps at the next visit, you could bring in a block of cheese that lists the fat breakdown and ask him to 'help' you find the transfats in the nutritional listing so you know what to look for when you're shopping and also add that you searched the internet to find out what cheese contain the most transfats and can't seem to find any that contain those types of fats.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-07, 18:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/135/125 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 50%

I have never even seen transfats in real cheese?! He sounds like an idiot! Many doctors don't know nutrition, but I would expect a cardiologist to know fat types?! Scary!

Last edited by BankerMom : Sun, Feb-18-07 at 19:32.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 10:18

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Cheese does have some transfats. Conjugated linoleic acids (CLA) are a transfat.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 11:34

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

In a quick google search I found info that CLA is a transfat but, unlike most, a beneficial transfat naturally occurring in grass-fed beef and dairy products, which would include cheese.

Research on CLA shows it helps protect our bodies in many ways.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 11:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/135/125 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 50%

OK, I feel bad that I called the doc an idiot...but, it just seems weird to call out cheese when talking about transfats? In all the reading on the poor effect of transfats, it's the man-made fat that the body doesn't know what the heck to do with. Seems unlikely that real cheese would contain, or need to contain this, for stability? I can see 'cheese food' crud...but, real cheese??
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 12:44

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
JMO, it's a person's responsibility to educate his/her self in the matter of all issues related to his/her health and welfare.
Read, read, read. All sides of an issue/suggested treatment course, health issues, and especially medications.

I agree with Zuleikka, its up to you to know what is good for you. Anyone can advice you being people here on this forum or someone in the medical profession but it ends with you doing the extra legwork to figure if it's something fit for you. Thank goodness for open access to the World Wide Web and the public library.

It's your health and nobody else's.

Good Luck!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 13:26
Registered Member

Plan: DiPasquale Radical Diet
Stats: 301.5/260.2/260 Male 71
BF:25%/?%/15%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankerMom
OK, I feel bad that I called the doc an idiot...but, it just seems weird to call out cheese when talking about transfats? In all the reading on the poor effect of transfats, it's the man-made fat that the body doesn't know what the heck to do with. Seems unlikely that real cheese would contain, or need to contain this, for stability? I can see 'cheese food' crud...but, real cheese??

It's ok, the doc is still an idiot He most likely was conflating trans fats with saturated fats. CLA is a natural trans fat as compared to the other trans fats created through hydrogenation of veggie oils. Where as CLA is used by the body in small amounts naturally occuring is different foods, the hydrogenated oils are used in processed foods in much greater quantities and are not metabolized normally by the body. Don't let anyone tell you doctors aren't idiots, especially with respect to nutrition!

Kind regards
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 15:56
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Perhaps the good doctor is confusing transfats with saturated fats or mistakenly believes that saturated fats are the same thing as transfats? Satfats have been villainized for so long, I could see how even medical professionals could think of them as being the same.
Doesn't make it right or okay, but perhaps at the next visit, you could bring in a block of cheese that lists the fat breakdown and ask him to 'help' you find the transfats in the nutritional listing so you know what to look for when you're shopping and also add that you searched the internet to find out what cheese contain the most transfats and can't seem to find any that contain those types of fats.

I don't think the doc confuses SF with TF. I too have read that cheese made from cow's and sheep's milk, even the best quality, indeed contain naturally occuring small amount of TF. FDA allows to list 0g TF if the amount per serving does not exceed 0.5g.

Quote:
A small amount of trans fat is found naturally, primarily in dairy products, some meat, and other animal-based foods.

http://www.crystalfarms.com/healthyinformation.htm

http://hp2010.nhlbihin.net/cholmonth/q_a.htm

Quote:
During cheese ripening, a small amount of the fat is hydrolyzed to volatile fatty acids, butyric, caproic, caprylic, and capric acids and higher carbon chain fatty acids, which contribute to the flavor of cheese.

http://library.thinkquest.org/CR0215162/dairy.html

I guess when it comes to existing heart desease, even small amount matters.
It does not mean that it prevents me from eating delicious european cheeses, as well as beef and lamb.
JMO

Last edited by dina1957 : Tue, Feb-27-07 at 16:09. Reason: to correct TF from 1 g to 0.5g
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-07, 15:36
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%
Angry Drs are idiots, NOT!

Sorry for the rant, I just can't help it.
I see many posts when MDs are called "idiots" and things like "every idiot can become an MD". sMyself, I only have master's degree in electrical engineering and process controls. But I know what it takes to go through pre-med and medical schools, and then pass board exam, and hjave courage to treat human beings. So, I wonder what is a background of those forum members who call ppl who went though 8 years of schools, 3 years of Internship, and passed board exam, "idiots"?
Some drs are more informed than others in terms of nutriotion, but it does not mean they are idiots if they are concerned with their patient diets . As it turnes out, nutrition is not a science per se, and if it is, it is still very young and new, confusing, and must be tailored to individual needs. I wonder if those that call drs names with ease, can compare their work with sonmeone who can performs a by-pass surgery, or an angiogram, or any surgery of any kind? I have great respect to folks who have enough courage even to try something like this, and who went through a lot of troubles and sacrifices, got huge loans to pay just to be called "idiots" for something they happend to know better by folks who read few books on nutriotion (written by other drs) and think they know everything better.
Just my 2 cents.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-07, 17:02

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

My dad was a physician, one of my brothers is a physician. I have known many doctors who are idiots. Having an education does not prevent someone from being an idiot, just like being uneducated does not make someone an idiot.