Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 10:30

Plan: what ever
Stats: 198/177/000 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Im Converting to Paleo AnyOne Want to Try

Well after Trying all the LC plans and loving them, But cant stick with them, I thought I would start converting to Paleo.

Now I am just learning about this and will start adapting to it as I grocery
shop.

I want this thread to be informative, Not a hard core (do it my way or no way) Thread.
I am trying to fix my messed up body and insulin issues. One step at a time.
In starting this I'm sure I wont be perfect (its a learning process) So I don't need a bashing from someone. But If you have useful info I would love for you to post it. In the long run its up to me and everyone who try's at how far they want to take it. And what works for the individual.

From my understanding so far there are different takes on paleo, But it seems the goal is to eat what the caveman/woman ate. Cool

I have not read a book as it seems there are/is a lot of info out there on eating this way. I would like to read the Primal Blueprint as that has been one of the most recommended book in all the websites and blogs that I have been to.

Here is some info about Pale

from Don Matesz' blog, "Primal Wisdom".

Here is his Primal Diet in a Nutshell:

Eat

Necessary
1. Meat, poultry, fish, eggs, and any natural animal fat or fat closely resembling animal fat (e.g. coconut, palm)
Optional
2. Dairy products if tolerated
3. Vegetables, herbs, and spices, including leaves, stems, bulbs, roots
4. Fruits and berries (includes avocados and olives)
5. Nuts such as almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, coconut, etc.

Avoid
1. Cereal grains and grain products (bread, pasta, pastries, etc.)
2. Legumes (beans and peas, including soy and peanuts)
3. Grain-like seeds (quinoa, amaranth, teff, etc.)
4. Seed oils and oil seeds (corn, safflower, sunflower, flax, sesame, hemp, etc.)
5. Sugars, including cane sugar (white, brown, organic, whatever), maple syrup, rice syrup, honey, etc.

Last edited by surfnmom : Sat, Mar-05-11 at 11:41.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 10:31

BF:

a few more links

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

http://www.paleonu.com/get-started/

and of course there is the paleo thread here on this forum (spend time reading all the old post)
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=107

Last edited by surfnmom : Sat, Mar-05-11 at 11:49.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 10:41

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

SOunds fine to me.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 10:47

BF:

Hey Black57, nice to see you. Have read a lot of your post
any info you have to add would be great.

OK so here's my plan so far.

Grains are gone
Dairy Ill use the cheese and butter that I have on hand then gone. (maybe)
this is one of those things that may hang around. Well see

I have apples currently for fruit, but when there gone will change to berries
(although some paleo practitioners eat all kinds of fruit.)

Eating veggie all but the starchy ones.

Only animal fats that I save or buy (lard) or perhaps try to render my own.
Oil will be- olive for salads

This will be an ongoing list today as I sort out things LOL

I do have peanut butter which is evil I found out.

Last edited by surfnmom : Sat, Mar-05-11 at 11:33.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 11:35

BF:

here's the info on peanuts
and what they say about it

Quote:
The Peanut Manifesto

on 29 December, 2009

As you probably already know, our Whole30 program and Dr. Loren Cordain’s Paleo Diet don’t include beans (legumes) of any kind. Most of our clients agree to live without lima beans and soy products pretty quickly… but then we mention peanuts. See, peanuts aren’t a nut at all. They’re a legume – edible seeds enclosed in pods. The confusion stems from the fact that, while their physical structure and nutritional benefits more closely resemble that of other legumes, their use in diets and cuisines more closely resembles that of nuts.

Our clients don’t typically balk at the removal of the actual peanuts from their diets – there are plenty of other nuts they can consume for healthy fats. The trouble comes when we take away their peanut butter. Long promoted as full of “good” fat and high in protein, peanut butter has probably been a staple in your diet since you were a kid, and unfortunately, PB has few comparable substitutes (as those of you who have tried almond butter already know). So for you hold-outs practicing “Paleo + Peanut Butter”… we get it, but we still want you to ditch the PB. Need convincing? Here’s why we don’t eat peanut butter – not even the organic, all-natural stuff.

It’s not the ingredients in the peanut butter we don’t like, it’s the peanuts themselves. When peanuts grow, they can harbor carcinogenic mold called an “aflatoxin“. This goes for conventional and organic peanuts. They longer they sit (during shipping, for example), especially in warm temperatures and high humidity, the more mold grows. And as it’s nearly impossible to buy peanuts “local”, as they are only grown in a few Southern locations, more likely than not that even your organic peanuts are suspect.

The far bigger concern, however, is that peanuts contain lectins which are believed to have inflammatory and atherogenic potential. Most plants contain lectins, some of which are toxic, inflammatory, or both. Many of these lectins are resistant to cooking and to digestive enzymes, and some have been scientifically shown to have significant GI toxicity in humans. Lectins from grains (especially wheat) and legumes (including peanuts and soybeans) are most commonly associated with aggravation of inflammatory and digestive diseases in the body. (As an aside, dairy from cows fed grain-based diets can also contain these grain-derived lectins.)

Recent research by Dr. Cordain has suggested that these lectins may effectively serve as a “Trojan horse” allowing foreign proteins to invade our natural gut defenses. Cordain reports, “An experiment conducted by Dr. Wang and colleagues and published in the prestigious medical journal Lancet revealed that PNA got into the bloodstream intact in as little 1-4 hours after subjects ate a handful of roasted, salted peanuts.” (Unfortunately, the abstract of this study is not available without a subscription.) The lectins can cause damage well beyond the gut – commonly in joints, brain, and skin of affected individuals. Continued exposure of the gut by these toxins leads to a persistent stimulation of the body’s defense mechanism in a dysfunctional manner, i.e. autoimmune disease. (Allergies fall into that category as well.)

So in summary… sorry, kids. Since the potential downsides of peanuts dramatically outweigh our fond memories of childhood PB&J sandwiches, we recommend you ditch the peanuts altogether.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 12:18

BF:

My weight as of Thursday 176.4

My high weight this year was 180.2 and have lost some, flip flopping plans including WW. heaven forbid lol. I was down to 173.2 then a week of eating what ever gained back a few lbs. But in the past 5 weeks have been trying to do it natural until I found out about grains. I have nothing against WW and I can see were they are trying to go with there new food plan, Get away from processed foods.
Well
after watching FatHead the move (now you can stream it on netflix if you have an account) It opened my eyes about grains and simplified a lot of food related research. At the end of the movie he does go Lc and now practices Paleo .

Here's a link to his blog
http://www.fathead-movie.com/

So this started my hunt about anything Paleo. And Getting back to humans natural diet.
I well be posting my meals daily and any useful info I can find.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 12:33

BF:

Today's Food

Breakfast
....hamburger, 2 scrambled eggs in butter

Lunch
....chicken breast w/butter
....A few walnuts

Dinner
....stir fried chicken and green beans cooked with
bacon/and collected meat fat

Snacks
....cut up apple w/peanut butter and a few walnuts.
....salami and cheese

(will be ditching the peanut butter when I can make my own)

Last edited by surfnmom : Sun, Mar-06-11 at 08:31.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 12:53

BF:

Oh another thing Exercise. I love the recommendation I have read. Walk slowly and lift heavy objects and run every now and then. Makes since. I can do this and I did do it in my last job. Stocking at Wally Mart. I was then (a few years ago) 140 and had great muscle tone in my arms and felt and looked great, If it wasn't for all the Bs that goes on would still be there. But the moral of the story, For me is that form of exercise does work.

When weather gets nice I have some cinder-blocks that I can move from one part of the yard to the other.

I know I am posting a lot of stuff, but there is a lot of stuff out there. lol and hopefully it gives some ideas or answers to those that are seeking it like me.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 13:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Hi Cheryl,!

It seems like there is one thing sticking out for me. NO MORE PEANUTS. <<>ouch<<

Also,
Avoid #5. SUGAR

I bet that means artificial sugar too. I bet stevia would work. I grew it in my garden last year. It gets to be a pretty big size (Like a marigold) When you tore off a leaf & bit it, it would turn sweet. But like a weed. 'Nuf said.
But still a plant base sweetener that is manufactured is probably good.

AVOID #4 OIL

What kind do you use besides Olive Oil?

((Thanks for letting me think about another low carb way to eat.))
Karen
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 13:22

BF:

kaarren Hey, yep I was pretty bummed about the peanuts also fungus gross yep after I finish my peanut butter its gone. well maybe try making another nut spread.

I am off sugar (real stuff) but still have splenda am going to finish up if needed. I read a lot of people will use the AF sweetener. Your home gown stevia seems to fit. Where did you get the seeds/plants may like to try growing it this year. Want to put a garden in.

Right now as far as oil all I have is the olive, Well need to look more into that. When I find out will post.

I think this may actually be fun. Think like a caveman lol. I was just looking at the walnuts I bought (out of the shell) And thought cave people had to crack open there nuts. So I will start buying nuts in the shell and if I want them to snack on then I will have to work for it.

have a great day
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 16:36

BF:

Ok more on oil, Coconut oil and lard are good cooking fats

Nancy Lc was nice enough to post this thread about making my own coconut milk, but it also shows how to make your own coconut oil. Great info check it out. Guess who will be trying this. Again thank you Nancy Lc

http://www.ehow.com/how_2118527_make-coconut-milk.html
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 18:08

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 342/270/200 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Welcome Surfnmom. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here in the Paleo section Who are always good to hep out.

Here are a couple other places I enjoy going to to read and learn.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

http://paleohacks.com

Enjoy the journey
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 18:20

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Here's the paleo forums:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25

I truly believe that I should be doing paleo but have not reached that stage in my life yet. Enjoy the paleo forums and let us know how it goes.

Also, Steve Cooksey is quite inspiring for his quest to beat diabetes 2 and losing weight. I thought I would just add that to the mix.

http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/

Last edited by black57 : Sat, Mar-05-11 at 18:25.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 18:29

BF:

Thank you Dave28 and Black57 for the links. I am really enjoying all the reading.

In fact I was just searching about green beans and came across this great article

http://www.primaltoad.com/are-green-beans-primal/
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 21:42

BF:

kk here's a link on making your own nut butters

http://www.ehow.com/how_2112252_almond-nut-butter.html

snacks from primal blueprint forum

Coconut balls.

shredded coconut with coconut oil rolled into balls. Then pour melted 85% dark chocolate over the top. Let the chocolate set and then devour them.

Quote:
creator was huntergirlhayden's

I'm in love with Coconut and Almonds and when I need to indulge I'm all about some dark chocolate. Recently I was inspired by a very sweet Primal boy to put these things together because he likes them too! Thus is born the Primal Almond Joy. I'm sure its been done, after all, there are no new ideas, but I haven't done it yet, so here goes!
I'm experimenting and this is my first go round with the recipe...

1 c dried organic coconut flakes
1/4-1/2 c coconut cream
2 tbsp coconut oil melted
Mix all these ingredients together until thick a gooey, you can add a sweetener if you must but I opted out. Mix quickly and form into little logs because the coconut will absorb the liquids and firm up.
Whole germinated dried almonds
Place one almond on top of each coconut log
80% or higher dark chocolate
1tbsp coconut oil
Break the bar of dark chocolate into pieces and melt with the coconut oil. This might take some tweaking, your goal is to thin it just a bit so it makes a nice coating.

Place coconut almond logs on a wire rack over a pan lined with wax paper, pour dark chocolate over logs coating evenly. Let set in the fridge for about 30 minutes, enjoy!

Marks daily Apple forum Good reading here too

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/

Last edited by surfnmom : Sat, Mar-05-11 at 22:14.