Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-10-06, 22:23
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/128/112 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 76%
Angry grumble grumble....

I love my girlfriend so much but it's so hard for me to go grocery shopping with her. She's the kind of girl who eats non stop all day and still has this super thin body (seriously, she has like maybe 5% body fat). I also am the kind of person who could eat all day but I am not as blessed as her. If I eat too much and slack on my exercise, it's obvious, I gain. quickly.

It's frustrating to have to wake up early and workout and watch what I eat all day and then have a normal event like grocery shopping ruin my day. I hate watching her throw cheesecakes and doughnuts and ice cream in the cart. Knowing those things are in the house drive me crazy. I've commented on it before but I get the usual response, "You don't need to diet, you're prefect! Here, have a Kit Kat." What she doesn't understand is that some people need to work out and watch what they eat just to stay normal. That's a foreign concept to her.

I'm jealous but..I don't know.... I guess I just feel guilty for feeling jealous. I just wish she were a little more sensitive to my feelings. I just don't like those things in my house! It's hard to stay on track with a box of brownies staring me in the face.

I guess I just needed to get that out of my system.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-10-06, 22:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 1st, South Beach
Stats: 204/180/155 Female 5' 4''
BF:
Progress: 49%

Just curious, were you with her before you lost the weight? If not, do you have pictures you can show her to make her understand why you have to work so hard?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-06, 09:40
Registered Member

BF:

We met after I lost most of my weight and I pretty much distroyed all the pictures taken when I was at my max. Now, I really wish I hadn't.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-06, 11:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 1st, South Beach
Stats: 204/180/155 Female 5' 4''
BF:
Progress: 49%

Thats hard then, I don't really know what the best advice would be. Does she just not believe you were ever heavy? If she doesn't gain, its gonna be really hard to convince her you do and will if you go back to eating that way again. I wish I could be of more help, and by the way, you've done a great job, your beautiful!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-06, 14:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/103/115 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcytad
"Here, have a Kit Kat."
That's got to be brutal. I don't think you ought to beat yourself up about your feelings - it's natural to be bitter from time to time about having to work so hard to lose weight, when it is just never a problem for some people. (And you have obviously worked hard and made incredible progress - congrats!)

Sometimes I get jealous of the people who can get away with sugar, pasta, pizza and all the rest of the stuff that I used to eat. But then I remind myself that I ate an awful lot of junk. I feel ten times better with this WOL and no way do I want to go back to those old, unhealthy habits.

Of course, I'm not having Kit Kat's and brownies waved under my nose every day. Maybe you could try grocery shopping separately for a while. And what about clearing out one cupboard just for her junk food? Ask her to put things away in there where you don't have to confront them. (Maybe you could paint a skull and crossbones on the cupboard door )
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-06, 20:07
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you so much for the compliments! We actually sat down and had a serious conversation about it (after we both finished off an entire brownie cheese cake....*shakes head*). And I told her that she needs to know that I'm extremely weak when it comes to food and that she needs to understand that I spent years getting down to a health weight. She said she was going to only eat junk food when she was not in my company. I was really glad we talked it out.

Hopefully I can enjoy a stress free shopping experience next time.

#7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-06, 21:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/103/115 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcytad
We actually sat down and had a serious conversation about it (after we both finished off an entire brownie cheese cake....*shakes head*).
Excellent about the serious conversation - my sympathies on the cheese cake
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-06, 21:52
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Apparently, she misses her eating buddy when she acts like that... glad you talked it out so it (and the cheesecake) won't be an issue anymore.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-06, 22:49
Registered Member

BF:

ooohh the cheesecake. It's funny how you feel so good eating it and then afterward the guilt is overwhelming.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-06, 22:54
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I can't even be trusted with the low-carb cheesecake....
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-06, 10:56

Stats: 445/305/220 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 62%

Marcytad:

Point 1: it SUCKS to not have the people you're living with respect what you're doing...my only restriction is that I don't want to see food I can't eat out in the open - if it's in a drawer or cupboard that's fine, just not on a counter - and it's like THAT'S too much to ask. I end up having a big blowup and then having like 3 months without problems, and then it always comes back up again. It's insane. So beware that your gf's habits may likely pop again in the future, and you should be ready to repeat the conversation...

Point 2: you are clearly not just "normal." You are unbelievably smoking hot.

-j.

Last edited by j13 : Thu, Dec-14-06 at 13:03.