Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 11:24
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/-
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Really fluffy eggs?

Right now, I add about 1/2 tsp of water to per egg, and I blend them in the blender before scrambling or making an omelet. I add salt/pepper and whatever else after putting them in my frying pan, and I make sure the butter is bubbly before adding the eggs.

However, my eggs just never seem to get as "big & fluffy" as I see them in restaurants. Am I missing something? Anyone know a secret to making a really fluffy omelet? I already do that whole "scrape and fill method" when making omelets... gently pushing the sides of the omelet inward and filling it with the uncooked part... but they're still not as fluffy as I'd like!

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 15:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 242/204/142 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I don't see why you need to add water to your eggs. That's just making them more liquidy. Omit the water and see what happens. Also, omit the salt and add it only after the eggs are done. Restaurants don't add salt to their eggs.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 16:27
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Here's a link that chatted about your question.

Keep in mind that some restaurants put pancake batter into their eggs for omelettes and scrambled eggs which creates a lot of fluff power.

I disagree with Martha about the water in eggs for omelettes. I use water - creates steam which makes the eggs puff - and the scramble method for making omelettes.

Also, be careful not to overcook your eggs. Like any protein, eggs will shrink and become tough if overcooked.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 09:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/230/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%

I learned a long time ago how to make HUGE fluffy omelettes. Separate your eggs like you do to make meringue. Beat the egg whites till light and fluffy, beat the yellows till light yellow and airy. Have your pan hot and butter melted, and then fold the yellows into the whites gently. This will rise high like a souffle and the texture is wonderful. I used this long before I started LC. heheh
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 16:09

Plan: protein power
Stats: 230/225/140
BF:
Progress: 6%

Try adding a tsp of cream to the eggs - makes them creamy and fluffy.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 23:49

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%

I have had good luck with a) adding about a tablespoon of vegetable oil, and b) whipping the bejabbers out of the eggs before scrambling. I get a nice fluffy omelette without diluting them with water.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 08:12

Plan: n/a
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 7%

I find cream makes them fluffy, restaurant-like....
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 11:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/191/125 Female 5ft 4in
BF:TOO/Mu/ch
Progress: 14%
Wink huge eggs

I tried a recipe once where you separated the egg whites from the yolks then beat the egg whites to a stiff peak. You beat the yolks lightly in a separate bowl with a splash of cream, then gently fold yolk mixture into the egg whites. Put buttter into an oven proof skillet, get hot, then put in egg mixture. It is pretty thick, so you need to spread it around the pan, it aalmost looks like frosting. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the bottom starts to set and brown a little bit, then put the whole skillet in a 325 degree oven 10 minutes or so. I think this recipe was from a Better Homes and Garden cook book I had somewhere. I liked them, but husband thought the were TOO fluffy and light. But if that's what your looking for.....give it a try!