Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-14, 21:47

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 352/332/240 Male 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Lower numbers after eating - T2??

I'm asking this about my dad - we both got diagnosed with T2 at the same time. He's following roughly ADA guidelines, eating some whole grain breads, sweet potatoes occasionally, roughly 30 carbs a meal. He also takes 1000 mg of metformin a day. When he checks his BG in the mornings it's around 110, give or take a few points. He will check it after he eats and what is strange to me anyway, is that his BG will be around 90 or 87. Is this normal? Mine usually goes up - maybe just a few points maybe but it's higher. Could it be his medication isn't the er and it's affecting his bg readings 2 hours out?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-14, 06:18
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

I am not sure I quite understand what you are concerned about...

It looks to me like he is close to normal 2 hours out. Normal is 83-88 from what i read.

I woke today my BG 103. This is because of the dawn phenomom.

And I know 2 hours out after eating it will be in the 90s usually.

I don't take meds, T2.

The object of controlling carbs for T2 is to get your insulin and BGS to rough level point so they are not spiking and your body is not flooded with either of them.

I would recommend Reading Dr. Richard Bernstein's book to get a better handle on BGs and insulin levels and low carbing.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-14, 07:20

BF:

Well the drop is what didn't make sense to me. When I've read what "normal" numbers should be for fasting, 1 hour after, 2 hours after was like less than 140, less than 180, so that lead me to believe the trend would be an increase after eating.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-14, 07:46
Triple digit loss

BF:

From my understanding the biggest spike is the mid point at an hour. Then it should be coming back down.

I think you have it backwards it is 180 1 hour and 140 2 hours.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php

This correlates with my own bgs which this is the trend.

For me, my trend is 90s to 100s to 90s

That is 90s = start, 100s = 1 hour and 90s = 2 hours

With no meds.

Before low carb 110s to 250s to 160s

But the object with Low Carb is to get that trend as level as possible.

And for your dad the metformin could be working and doing a good job with the lower carb diet to keeping it level

But Dr. R. Bernstein's book I feel explains this much better than I would.

Hope this helps
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-14, 09:25

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

There are some immeasurables. If the pancreas is producing insulin it may be getting the signals to produce at different times, and especially after eating. Insulin resistance can vary greatly with time of day and other factors. It is a matter of trial and error to figure out what works. There are generally no practical tests medical people can do to advise a diabetic on the big three, Diet, Meds, Exercise.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-14, 09:44
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Isn't that Dawn Phenomenon? Also, I think after a night of fasting your body gets a little more insulin resistant by design. It keeps your blood sugar from going too low.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-14, 15:41

BF:

The pre-dawn/higher in the morning I understand. And after some of those explanations, I think I'm understanding a little more. But now I'm not understanding my own numbers now! Ha!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-14, 18:58

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bworthey
But now I'm not understanding my own numbers now! Ha!

Me too - I struggle to understand why my BG is up or down. Sometimes I just say what is - is!

Yesterday my FBG was 107. I was practically jumping up & down! Then this morning it was back up to 135. I think I know what I did different - I'll see what tomorrow's is.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-14, 23:18

BF:

Yeah, mine had been in the 103-106 range the last few mornings, then this morning it was 128! But I do think I know what the culprit was there too. The times I've checked mine post eating, I'm usually in the 115-125 range or so. So now I'm wondering is that not good? If it's not even back down to where my fasting number was at least??
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-14, 14:57
Triple digit loss

BF:

Bworthey

well 115-125 is not the normal range for a non diabetic person but it is way closer than what you were

You had an A1c of 9.0... 115-125 will probably give you an A1c around 6 something... So if that is being maintained throughout the day. It is way way better than what you started at!

Congrats
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-14, 20:20

BF:

Yep, started at 9. I'll find out where I am next week. I'm hopeful to come off some of my medicine, but we'll see! I think my dad's has responded even better than mine has! And he's on less medicine - blows my mind. Ha. Of course I'm still about 120 pounds heavier than he is!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-14, 07:29

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

When analyzing all the reasons for BG to move around in the 90-120 range, don't forget the margin of error, estimated to be 10-20% in home meters. I had 115 at home at 7:30am, and blood draw at doctor's office still fasted about one hour later, came back at 95. I too start with higher BG in the early am, and am lower after a LC breakfast, but there had to be some meter error, or test strips getting old, or something else to account for 20 pts.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-14, 09:44

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

res margin of error. Most readings are likely in the 5% range, less in 10%, and another X% 20% off. I don't have more exact numbers, and they vary with different meters. Also some meters are more accurate at different ranges.