Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-13, 04:52

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/144/120 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress: 14%
Question not hungry

I havent got a great appetite at any time - but I used to eat high carb meals and lots of sweets and crisps etc. Now I'm trying to stick to 20g carb I find I'm not hungry at all. I could live on cups of tea (almond milk). Will this stop me losing weight? I've heard you can go into starvation mode and hang onto fat, is this true ?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-13, 07:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 218.6/201.8/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

by not eating, you put yourself in danger of binging later... Try to make this a way of life, by eating small portions of low carb throughout the day...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-13, 08:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

For me, not being hungry was the key to the whole thing. Never before in the history of "me", did I forget to eat, to not want to eat, to get bored with the whole idea of eating - Use it to your advantage. I'm not convinced about this "if you dont eat enough, you wont lose" stuff (sorry). I've yet to see obesity where there is no food!

That said, eat little and often, you do need nutrients. But dont force yourself

Jo xxxx
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-13, 08:22

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

It is natural to lose hunger when eating so few carbs and a few weeks of eating well below your previous needs are not likely to do harm (as Jo says, that's WHY we lose weight). Now if you are really hungry and ignoring it, that's another matter, but genuine blunted appetite is a good thing.

Now over the long term, you may stall (almost everyone does at some point). I don't know if you are tracking your calories as well, but I have recently found (thanks to Christina - livinright) that to lose my best I should stay within 200 calories of my BMR, which eating LC allows me to do without too much hunger.

You might do a spot check from time to time to see how your calorie intake compares with your BMR. Here is a calculator for BMR: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-13, 10:13

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

This happens to some people as a result of ketosis.

I can eat massive amounts of carbs, so much so that my eating has gotten disfunctional to the point of really being Binge Eating Disorder.
However, when I started LC my appetite took a nosedive. After a couple days, nothing sounded good...not even carbs, though I knew that if I started eating them I'd lose control quickly. For the next few days my problem did a 180 from being driven to eat too much to having trouble eating enough.
My appetite did even out after a little while though, so give it some time and if it doesn't come back then you may have to up your carbs a little bit to stimulate your appetite.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-13, 13:29

BF:

Ok that's very helpful, thanks all
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-13, 13:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176/170/154 Female 157cm
BF:
Progress: 27%

Even though you don't feel hungry, maybe try to eat a little as suggested by ojoj even if it is some healthy green salads/ green smoothies or whatever it is you like because you might lose muscle mass as-well as fat. The whole idea is health as well as weight loss.x
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-13, 13:34

BF:

I've got in a load of salad and am eating that with meat. Weight coming off nicely thank you xx
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-13, 15:22

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

When I was doing the SBD, I read over and over that sometimes the feeling of hunger is really the need for hydration--to drink some water and then wait a little bit and if you are still hungry, THEN you eat something.

I haven't figured out which diet I am on now. I'm just sick of being fat, so I've cut out all sugars, starches..... all of the GOOD stuff, hahaha. For 4 days I've eaten ground beef, cabbage, string cheese, a few pepperoni slices, cucumbers, heavy cream, and pork cutlets. Oh and I just made some broccoli cheese soup with cream.

On the SBD, we were told to eat breakfast, no matter what! And a small snack (string cheese maybe) between meals. We could have a small limited sf dessert every day too.

This time, I'm NOT eating breakfast like I did before. I've never been a breakfast eater. I can go until 2 or 3 pm before I'm ready to eat. So I have no idea what diet I'm doing--I'm just trying my hardest to get into ketosis and start losing weight.

I'm not really hungry either. I make sure to drink several glasses of water a day. It makes me have to get up and pee four or five times a night, grrrrr, but I think I read somewhere that when your body burns up a fat molecule, it releases the water in the molecule also. (Anyone know if this is true?) I think that is why I was peeing so much on SBD.

Good luck, and like the others said, even just a very light snack of a veggie might be right for you. Or some nuts. Or an ounce of cheese.....
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 01:59

BF:

Molly, I'm not a breakfast person either. I've settled down on the CAD. Eating low carb all day with a "proper" meal at night. But what's happening is that I tend not to eat at all during the day, maybe only a couple of oatcakes (6 carbs each)- then my reward meal of whatever I like at teatime, and that does me all day. No water, just tea with Alpro or Soya Light.
I'm happy on this, I feel better, and the weight is dropping steadily. Down to 146 now Before, I tried to copy what other people were doing and it made me miserable and I struggled.