Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 18:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/139/135 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Bob Greene and Oprah?

Just did the Bob Greene 20 years younger test, I knew I would fail the nutrition test and I was right got a "D". Hmmm I guess he doesn't share my love of steak, butter and all things fat and tasty. But then again I don't share his love of grains and dairy. I wonder why Oprah has never tried LC?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 18:20

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Don't waste your time with that nonsense. Bob Greene does not look 20 years younger than his 52 years and neither will you on his diet. He's just reworking his conventional-wisdon, lowfat schtick to sell a book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linderella
I wonder why Oprah has never tried LC?

She did. I haven't watched her show in years, but I'm pretty sure the Drs. Eades were on her show way back when. I can remember her being excited when they told her that olives and cheddar cheese were a good snack. Hmm..maybe it was the Carb Addicts authors?

Last edited by HappyLC : Tue, May-10-11 at 18:42.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 18:25

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linderella
I wonder why Oprah has never tried LC?

I've wondered that too... because most things Oprah does she tells you all about it.

Like a lot of people, the mere thought of giving up "whole categories" of foods; comfort foods no less, can be literally inconceivable.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 19:05

Plan: Less meat, more veg LC
Stats: 252/217/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 49%

I think Oprah subscribes to the emotional eating paradigm to the exclusion of all other causes.

F
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 06:46

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/158/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 82%

I'm not a regular Oprah-watcher, but I'm pretty sure low-carb was one of her (many) dietary choices a few years back. It worked.

Yet almost all the weight-loss articles in O Magazine focus on the emotional aspects of eating, as Fialka said. So I'm inclined to think this is Oprah's evaluation of her own primary difficulty. Maybe it is.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 13:09

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I'm not an Oprah watcher either but from afar it appears her main thing is to lead the bandwagon, generate fortunes, and have mass amounts of customers. Right now that is cal counting, moderation, and low fat. When LC is so mainstream that she can do it and still have a huge market, I bet that's when we see her nod of approval.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 16:47
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

It was the Hellers and the Carb Addicts Lifespan Program in 1999.
I feel for Oprah- this really is her struggle. But she has to figure it out herself.
I am just so thankful I have figured out how my body wants to eat.
E
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 20:37

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
I'm not an Oprah watcher either but from afar it appears her main thing is to lead the bandwagon, generate fortunes, and have mass amounts of customers. Right now that is cal counting, moderation, and low fat. When LC is so mainstream that she can do it and still have a huge market, I bet that's when we see her nod of approval.

I know, and it's too bad, too; if she went on it and lost weight and had guests like Gary Taubes on... man, it would be over.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 21:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/195/175 Female 5ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fialka
I think Oprah subscribes to the emotional eating paradigm to the exclusion of all other causes.

F

I think you are right.

Oprah relies heavily on her team of researchers and they google their info and report back.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-12-11, 07:37

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
I'm not a regular Oprah-watcher, but I'm pretty sure low-carb was one of her (many) dietary choices a few years back. It worked.

Yet almost all the weight-loss articles in O Magazine focus on the emotional aspects of eating, as Fialka said. So I'm inclined to think this is Oprah's evaluation of her own primary difficulty. Maybe it is.

You are correct. As a matter of fact, she once called carbs/sugar poison. Obviously she was right.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-12-11, 08:21

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

Maybe when O finally retires she'll finally start doing things differently.
Also her contracts w Green, etc should be over and she will do whatever she wants.

We all have some reason for binging/overeating...emotional, stress, happiness, or whatever....it's still just addictive behavior.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-12-11, 08:27

Plan: VLC
Stats: 212.2/203.2/140.0 Female 69 inches
BF:41%/41%/23%
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem5
We all have some reason for binging/overeating...emotional, stress, happiness, or whatever....it's still just addictive behavior.

I'm not a huge Oprah fan. I don't dislike her or anything like that, I just don't pay that much attention to her -- but I DO appreciate her being very open with her audience about her struggles with weight. How many times have we seen her try some fad (Medifast, etc.), slim down, and then re-gain the weight? We've all been there, haven't we? I HATE reading interviews with stick-thin celebrities who claim that they eat "anything they want" or "nothing but pasta" and yet they maintain a skeletal figure. Oprah is a real woman -- a breath of fresh air.

FreyaAZ
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-12-11, 15:49

Plan: Paleo/Atkins/low cal
Stats: 232/148/135 Female 62
BF:a lot
Progress: 87%

I do remember O being on it and it worked. But she fell off it, and never picked herself back up from the dirt. Just stayed down.

She said it was too restrictive, she was beginning to question the safety/health of the diet, and that it gave her bad breathe. At the time, she was dating some singer...

Not too long ago she had Dr. Oz on and chatted about diabetes. Her former personal chef came on - he had been diagnosed with diabetes and he had lost something like 70-80 lbs, and no longer needed medication to control his diabetes. And he used low carb (cause a diabetic counts carbs, duh). The ex-chef looked great... whereas she just looks old.