Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 02:54

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 250/215/180
BF:
Progress: 50%
Question Sure could use your help!!

I have been on Synthroid for about 2 years. I belong to an HMO and my doctor really never has told me anything about it. After reading your stories I have some real questions, sure would like some help.
I thought that my thyroid must not be functioning because I gained about 30 pounds almost over night. After reading some of the other stories it sounds like it is over functioning, and alot more serious than I thought. I have never heard of Graves Disease.
When I started on Synthroid I would go in ever 4 months, the doctor would check my thyroid and then the dose would be increased. I was getting a little worried about it until about a year ago and everything seemed to stablize. I have been on the same dosage since then, which is .15 MG.
Don't have alot of the other problems that other people have described but I don't sleep well. That could also be due to my age, which is 56. I understand that older people have trouble sleeping.
Sure would like someone to explain the whole problem to me and I am going to call my doctor and find out some more info. from him too.
I just love HMOs. They are always so helpful and understanding!!!!!
Thanks for any help you all can give me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 09:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/218/130
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default I'm on Synthroid too.

Hi,
I'm on Synthroid too. In my case my thyroid had stopped working and the Synthroid gives me what my body no longer produces. I also went in about every four months until my TSL (thyroid stimulating level) was in the normal range. I haven't lost weight from using this medication, but am no longer too tired to function.
Hope the above helps.
Corrie8
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 04:32

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 250/215/180
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Thanks for the help

Thanks for writing back, Corrie8. It sure helps when there are people out there with the same problems that I have. You get to where you think you are along in this world and then it is sure nice knowing that there are still people that care about you.
I lost 53 pounds last year on Atkins Diet and was doing okay with keeping the weight off until about 3 months ago and then my head went into the ol' self and started eating again. This is really helping me stay away from food.
The next time I go to the doctor I am going to ask alot more questions about the thyroid. I am too trusting. Thinking that he knows everything. I have to get more involved. Maybe if I understand what is going on with my body a little more it will be easier to lose the weight.
Take care and keep up the daily struggle. Without it I would lose all control and would really be in a fix.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 13:25

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

I'd say your levels need to be adjusted especially if you gained 30lbs practically over night and are tired. lol despite your age, (c'mon now 56 isn't THAT old to be getting tired! ) But ya its another symptom that your thyroids off.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 13:35

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Default Re: Thanks for the help

Quote:
Originally posted by jansky
The next time I go to the doctor I am going to ask alot more questions about the thyroid. I am too trusting. Thinking that he knows everything. I have to get more involved. Maybe if I understand what is going on with my body a little more it will be easier to lose the weight.

Your making the same mistake I did, trusting the doctor to tell you everything. (they're supposed to though right? lol) I just did what my doctor told me to do, took the med, believed him about stuff..

Then after going to my endocronologist (yea i can spell) and regular doctor, and talked to them about how I can't lose weight.. And them talking to me like I was a fat, lazy pig sitting on my fat*** all day, When the truth was I was exercising for about 2-3 hours a day and eating enough and not losing. ( half the time I did low fat, then I switched to low carb..nothing)

I had it..lol Although I don't understand all the medical terms about the levels and stuff, I've picked up alot from message boards talking to other people and reading their stories.
So I'd advise ya to read up on it and stuff.

ps Anyone here on AOL? They have a message board about this also.