Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-09, 04:26

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Doctors Now Claim That Low Carb Diets are Dangerous To Your Health!

More anti-low carb nonsense from Big Pharma in order to sell their product, courtesy of PRLog:

Quote:
Doctors Now Claim That Low Carb Diets are Dangerous To Your Health!

By Beth Conners, MD

Reports of kidney failure and muscle tissue damage are now coming in that are directly associated with these dietary practices. Others have reported high levels of stroke and heart attacks.

PRLog (Press Release) – Aug 07, 2009 – Doctors recommend their dieters steer clear of the popular low carb diets - namely the Atkins and South Beach plans.

"Any weight loss benefits do not outweigh the health risks associated with low carb diets, and such radical manipulation of the body's digestive system will eventually do more harm than good" - according to doctors at the American College of Preventive Medicine.

Doctors further noted that manipulating carbs and fats in a person's diet this way results in a unhealthy energy imbalance within the body's vital systems and that some form of risky unnatural compensation takes place.

Low carb high fat dieters do lose weight at first. However most of the initial weight loss is water prior to the burning of fat. This leads to the body's metabolic process known as ketosis - which is the same condition found in very unhealthy, imbalanced people who have kidney and liver diseases.

Once the body sheds a large amount of water it begins to burn fat -- which is good, but soon afterwards ketosis sets in - and since the body needs to burn protein it goes to work on tearing down the body’s muscle tissue, which is actually a very bad thing.

When the body’s protein is broken down this way dieters eventually experience severe kidney and liver damage, in addition to an increase risk of stroke and heart attack.

The apparent weight loss from these diets does not outweigh the dangerous health risks associated with these low carb diets.

Doctors Recommend Natural Fat Burners as Save Alternatives

There is wide agreement that the safest way of dieting incorporates some of the fat reduction methods of the past with safe but effective fat burner supplements - that result in rapid but safe burning of the body's fat and ample weight loss.

Some of the top recommended fat burning dietary supplements are clinically proven to be the best way of ridding the body of undesired fat - with no harmful side effects.

Global Appetite Suppressant and Satiety Ingredients Product Innovation of the Year Award 2008.

http://www.prlog.org/10304251-docto...our-health.html
PDF copy of press release available here: http://www.prlog.org/10304251-docto...your-health.pdf
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-09, 04:43
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Wow, what is this a new wave of ignorance-in-advertising? Did some unusually legitimate study validating LC just get published or planned?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-09, 04:47

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

very unhealthy, unbalanced people?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-09, 05:35

Plan: was Atkins, now undecided
Stats: 290/290/160 Female 67 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 0%

Ketosis and ketoacidosis is the same thing? Wow. Clueless.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-09, 06:48
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 250/245/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

This is an article written by someone who wants to sell you the fat burning supplements.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-09, 07:03

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniriki
This is an article written by someone who wants to sell you the fat burning supplements.

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking. Not a real article but sort of a viral marketing hype for the fat burner makers.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-09, 07:40

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Yeah, exactly what I was thinking. Not a real article but sort of a viral marketing hype for the fat burner makers.
Yes, I agree, but the point is, people do read and believe these things and IMO it continues to perpetuate the various low carb myths and untruths that are out there.

These 'lies' are, in a large part, to blame for why low carbing is such a 'dirty' word here in the UK.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-09, 07:47

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Funny how a google search of "Beth Conners, MD" ONLY brings up this article. Nothing else. Same for a search of "Doctor Beth Conners"

Looks like we have a sock puppet with a medical degree here.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-09, 07:59
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

^^ What Wifezilla said ...

The contact details for the above article ...
Quote:
Read more about one of the top dietary fat burning supplements here at

http://www.BurnFatSafely.offerpg.com

*Frost & Sullivan awarded SLIMACAI
[Extract of Caralluma Fimbriata]

SLIMALUMA® is a clinically proven, safe and non-toxic dietary supplement that can be used to manage obesity, by appetite suppression leading to clinically significant weight loss.

Issued By : Beth Conners, MD
Contact Email : Click to email (Partial email - ~burnfatsafely.com)
Categories : Health, Medical, Lifestyle
Tags : low carb diet, low carb diet plan, low carb diet plans, natural fat burners, best fat burning product, fat burner supplements
Last Updated : Aug 07, 2009
Shortcut : www.prlog.org/10304251

Note the contact email is xxxxxxx~burnfatsafely.com

I did a search for burnfatsafely.com, and see it's just a search portal for weighloss related products. When I tried to click the burnfatsafely.offerpg.com link in the article, my browser was redirected multiple times to the point where shut itself down .. and triggered an antivirus warning.

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-09, 09:07

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

If anyone actually believes this, they must be in a real quandary about which dishwasher soap to use because they all claim "no other dishwasher soap leaves yours as sparkling clean".

This is painfully, obviously, just an advertising spiel to anyone but the most unsophisticated reader. And anyone that unsophisticated probably no longer has a working computer, as it's been overrun with malware after clicking on every "Lose 10 lbs overnight" or "Make $1000 a day working from home" link they have seen.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-09, 09:14
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:

me too....ugh!! this really just disgusts me.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-09, 09:29

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Yes, I agree, but the point is, people do read and believe these things and IMO it continues to perpetuate the various low carb myths and untruths that are out there.

Well I don't know about the UK, but here in the US these sorts of articles are a dime a dozen. Not specifically anti-low-carb, but touting all sorts of miracle things if you try the special product, or threatening all sorts of dire health consequences if you don't. They are so ubiquitous that to me they are just sort of a "white noise". Most of them are as poorly written as this one, though this one may even be a tad worse!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-09, 09:50
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Couldn't crash Opera's browser with scripts off, but its just another acai berry scam site
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-09, 13:30

Plan: was Atkins, now undecided
Stats: 290/290/160 Female 67 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 0%

Quote:
If anyone actually believes this, they must be in a real quandary about which dishwasher soap to use because they all claim "no other dishwasher soap leaves yours as sparkling clean".

I love your sense of humor
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-09, 13:36

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Well I don't know about the UK, but here in the US these sorts of articles are a dime a dozen. Not specifically anti-low-carb, but touting all sorts of miracle things if you try the special product, or threatening all sorts of dire health consequences if you don't. They are so ubiquitous that to me they are just sort of a "white noise". Most of them are as poorly written as this one, though this one may even be a tad worse!

It's true what Merpig says. I've seen these types of ads, in American newspapers and magazines so often that they are white noise. They are usually labeled with a discrete "sponsored article" or something of that sort to let people know it's just advertising. However, they try hard to make it look like a real article, to lend an air of credibility to their trash. Thus the quote from a fake doctor. They are a dime a dozen and kinda all look alike. No one takes them seriously. I hope for their sake, otherwise they are probably bankrupt from buying swamp land in Florida.

It might be be that laws concerning advertising vary from country to country because I don't remember them being so prevalent in Canadian magazines, but it just might be that I haven't paid enough attention.