Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 22:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/145/140
BF:
Progress: 87%
Smile Sugar Free Mints

I follow a VERY strict low/no carb diet, due to the fact that I have reactive hypoglycemia. I have lost weight (30lbs) following this diet and have felt MUCH better. My only problem is the breath that goes along with it. Not so much that my breath is bad all of the time, but just when I'm snacking on my low carb foods, although most of them taste pretty good, I've found that eating cheese etc, doesn't do a lot for improving breath.

I am unable to consume sorbitol, or for that matter any sugar alchohols, or anything that can even slightly effect your blood sugar. With this in mind, I've found it impossible to find a mint or gum that doesn't have some form of the above ingredients in them. I'd even be happy with something that is merely minty, I really don't care if it tastes sweet at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or know of any low carb mints etc. that have sweetners in them that don't effect your blood sugar at all?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 19:32

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy That's a toughie!

Gosh, when you start to read labels for sugar-free gum and mints, it seems they all have something, doesn't it?

My only suggestion would be an extensive web search, although somehow I think that would probably leave you exactly where you are now. Following that I would suggest getting a travel size bottle of mouthwash that you can refill as needed and carry with you for a quick rinse. It may have some ingredients in it that you can't have as well, but if you make sure you don't swallow and follow with a rinse of water, maybe that would be okay?

Just a thought...

Good luck in your search! I'm going to check out that web site you mentioned in your other thread. Thanks for sharing!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 21:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Have you searched the Products forum?

Meanwhile, I'm trying to remember the name of that new teeny tiny strong breath 'mint' that's a little paperthin sheet, has that spiffy commercial with the bad breath monster on the subway and the BBBounty Hunter 'bimbo' ? Keep an eye out for that one, it's strong flavour and gelatin, I think.

Also, the good old-fashioned chewing parsley, or parsley-oil capsules still works, harder to find. Ask at a drugstore or pharmacy (sorry, senior moment I forget the brand name). Chewing a piece of licorice root/stem (Health Food or Herb store) or a clove is good, though it's strong stuff. The licorice root/stem is supposed to help with cravings, too. Bonus.

Other possibilities:
- Brew up some parsley/peppermint tea for after meals.
- Carry a travel toothbrush and toothpaste in your purse.
- Strong After Coffee mints, VERY tiny and available in both cinnamon and mint, at Starbucks (ergo, expensive, but they DO go a long way for a very tiny size, think they're about a 0.25 calorie each so they are 1/16th of a gram of sugar alcohol... something like that.

Hope some of this helps.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-02, 19:11

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 245/227/150
BF:
Progress: 19%

What about doing like they did in the "old days" and chew on a sprig of mint. Also, if you do brush your teeth as Island Girl Suggested, ensure you brush your tongue too!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 02:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Breath Assure !

Parsley and Mint natural oils (natural odor neutralizers, too) in a gelatin capsule, I find them in pharmacies and sometimes grocery stores, by the gum and breathmints.

FINALLY, I remembered. Sheesh.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 10:23

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 270/232/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:Yes, unfortunately
Progress: 32%
Lightbulb

I think what Judi was referring to was Listerine packs - those nifty little paper-like pieces of mouthwash - very hot though! I also tend to add parsley to salads, or just chew on some after eating - very fresh breath

Theresa