Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-04, 01:48
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 110/110/&;100 Female 152 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Karen Non LC cookbook

Hi Karen ,

I was enjoy reading your LC cookbook....i like the way you explained things and a little bit of tips here and there...i can say that you put lots of effort in coming out with such an excellent product.

yes i am your big fan. . I like to buy cookbooks...and of course..i like the ones i can cook somethings that look like what they are described in the recipes...i am sure that for the most part it must be me who is so incompetent. But when i try yours then it comes out perfect everytimes.

I just made the cauli fried rice...and ya know what i did...i baked the tiny dried shrimps until crispy and sprinkle it on top...these crispy shrimp will be my snack from now on...they are high protein and lower in fat ( than pork rind) i think.

I am thinking of making green papaya salad ( with lime/chilli/garlic/AS gressing)...but i do not know whether the green papaya is LC????

Sorry for rambling here...now it comes to the topic...i like to get your other cookbooks...but are they all high carbs...or is it difficult to tweak them to be LC???

Thanks,

Chutatip
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-04, 02:58
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
I am thinking of making green papaya salad ( with lime/chilli/garlic/AS gressing)...but i do not know whether the green papaya is LC????
The green papaya is not too bad. I make som tam once or twice a year and eat it with steak.

1 cup chopped papaya
Calories 55
Carbohydrate (g) 14
Dietary fiber (g) 2.5
Total fat (g) 0.2
Protein (g) 1

Quote:
I just made the cauli fried rice...and ya know what i did...i baked the tiny dried shrimps until crispy and sprinkle it on top...these crispy shrimp will be my snack from now on...
That sounds really tasty! I like dried shrimp. Have you ever had this Chinese soup? You simmer dried shrimp and pickled mustard greens in soy milk. That's all there is to it, and it's really good.

The book that has the greatest amount of low-carb recipes is The Passionate Cook. There is a thread on it here The Passionate Cook: The very best of Karen Barnaby

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-16-04, 01:48
Registered Member

BF:
Exclamation You know "Som Tam"

Hi Karen,

Big surprised!!!! Can't believe you know som tam...Now you get me talking

Thanks for the nutritional info for papaya. Lately i have come up with my "papaya free som tam" by using a mixture of cucumber, zucchini, and rhubarb.

Ya know what i have for lunch? I have 1/2 inch thick egg pancake (2 eggs and shreded cabbage), and top with 1/4 cup green chicken curry ...yum yum

Have u tried lots of Thai food?

Chutatip
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-16-04, 01:54
Registered Member

BF:

Forgot to talk about the soup you mentioned

i know what u are talking about.

the other thing i like to do with pickled mustard green is ..slice them thinly then stir fry with eggs and if the veggies are very salty i add a pinch of AS. I do the same with pickled radish...and both of them are very good.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-17-04, 10:52
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Have u tried lots of Thai food?
I had the great opportunity of working with a Thai chef from 1981-1985. One of my best cooking memories was going to her home every year to help her, and her relatives prepare for the New Year celebration. I went to Thailand and Laos with her in 1987. It was one of the best trips of my life!

When I first started teaching cooking classes, I taught Thai classes. So, I know a little bit about Thai food.

It can be difficult to get a good green papaya here so I've made som tam with daikon radish. It doesn't collapse and get as watery as cucumber does. It's also a lot cheaper!

Karen