Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 10:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Neanderthin
Stats: 244/198/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Question Unfiltered coffee?

Hello,

I have read in several places that drinking unfiltered coffee is a good way to raise your cholesterol. Does anyone know exactly what this means? I live in Greece where we drink a lot of unfiltered coffee (grounds are in the bottom of the cup) and also several concoctions made with instant coffee. Does this also apply to decaffeinated coffee? This information has been difficult to find. Any direction would be appreciated.

Lauri
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-04, 12:13

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

#3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 03:35
Registered Member

BF:

Dodger, thanks for the links.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-04, 07:11
Registered Member

Plan: ---
Stats: ---/---/--- Female ---
BF:
Progress:

Yes, that's true. If you drink drip coffee (in paper filter) this filter traps chemicals and cholesterol does not enter your cup. If you want to raise your cholesterol drink French press or boiled coffee.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-04, 12:20
Registered Member

BF:

Hi,

I think that Greek coffee would qualify as boiled coffee...luckily, I don't drink all that much. We have an American-style coffee maker and use that at home most of the time.

I am not really worried about my cholesterol level. It was 140 before I started Atkins and I am confident that it's still fine (although my in-laws are all big naysayers about this diet ). My husband drinks more Greek coffee than me.

It's funny how everyone is hysterical about eating red meat and eggs, but not a peep about foods which really are associated with bad cholesterol levels.

--Lauri
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-04, 13:44

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

"It's funny how everyone is hysterical about eating red meat and eggs, but not a peep about foods which really are associated with bad cholesterol levels."

Actually, dietary cholesterol intake has little or no effect on your blood cholesterol levels. In fact, if you don't eat enough cholesterol in your diet your body will manufacture it!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 04:36
Registered Member

BF:

Cindysue,

I have read that too. It seems that foods with cholesterol (like eggs) don't have a significant impact on cholesterol levels. Like you wrote, your body needs it for many things and will manufacture it if you don't eat enough. Lutz (Life Without Bread) theorizes that when your body is forced to manufacture cholesterol, it may not know how much to make and may overproduce it--leading to higher cholesterol levels in people eating a low fat diet.

There is so much new information out there but for various reasons, it is not making it into the public domain. Since I have begun to educate myself about these issues, I am constantly stunned by the absolute nonsense out there. One website I saw (www.dietitian.com/locarb.html) stated that you need at least 130 grams of carbohydrates a day to prevent the loss of muscles and organs! This website also stated that in the absence of enough glucose for energy, your body will turn to burning muscles for energy!

I believe what Atkins wrote: that we used to KNOW that the world was flat!

Last edited by Lauri T. : Thu, Oct-14-04 at 04:38. Reason: misspelled word
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 08:18
Registered Member

Plan: ---
Stats: ---/---/--- Female ---
BF:
Progress:

Yes, some information about diets is very contradictory, and sometimes even confusing or stupid. It's hard to believe in some stunning facts

We should simply search as many facts as possible and listen to the most believed scientists and dietitians to be sure that we choose the right way to become healthy.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-04, 11:41

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

So, anyone know if there's a way to ultra-filter your coffee to reduce the risk further or do you just get pale, weak coffee?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 15:54

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

cb to answer your question, no you can't filter out terpenes selectively. They are a lot of what makes coffee taste the way it does.

The research done on this is pretty unconvincing, and is inconcsistent with the larger population studies. I am personally ignoring their advice, and having my coffee.

You might have it with cream, and let the terpenes and other chemicals have a chance to bind with milk proteins prior to entering your system.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 21:19

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom sawyer
cb to answer your question, no you can't filter out terpenes selectively. They are a lot of what makes coffee taste the way it does.

The research done on this is pretty unconvincing, and is inconcsistent with the larger population studies. I am personally ignoring their advice, and having my coffee.

You might have it with cream, and let the terpenes and other chemicals have a chance to bind with milk proteins prior to entering your system.

You make a great advisor - or at least, apologist Thank you!

I prefer kind of a smooth, medium coffee rather than the oily dark kind. (And I think the terpenes are in the oils or are the oils...)

By the way - for more than you ever want to know,
Coffee Flavor Chemistry - by Ivon Flament
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471720380/