Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 08:05

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 186/155/148 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%
Thumbs up Ultimate chocolate frosted HEART CAKE!!

I heard about this from BonoLover (who I really thank!)

I just got an order from Maine Cottage Foods. I'd already gotten my monthly supply of cupcakes but they are including a free pair of Valentine Heart cakes with each order as a special. So I made an extra order figuring I would just freeze the cupcakes.

Well, I had to look hard at the ingredients of the frosted heart cakes because these are the total best I have ever tasted! I took them to an owner of a low carb bakery in town and even he was flabbergasted. If you have space in your monthly treat allowment, take a gander at their site. I just hope they aren't just going to make those cakes on Valentine's Day - that would be too cruel. Any way, I've given their site before for their cupcakes, but here it is again:
http://www.mainecottagefoods.com

Success to you all!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 08:45

BF:

They extended their free hearts special through Sunday. Sorry that I didn't make it clear it was a limited time offer. Mea culpa. But at least now there is more time again, so that redeems me a touch. :- )
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 09:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

i ordered my brownie bites last week, and they got to my house just the other day! i was delighted to see the free heart cakes, but haven't tried them yet! i brought some coconut brownies to work to share with some fellow lc'ers.....that's the only one i've tried so far, but it was pretty tasty!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 17:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/126.6/125 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 91%

My order hasn't arrived yet, it better be here tomorrow for V Day!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 12:21

BF:

Oh, no, BonoLover! I hope you got the hearts in time. It would be so unfair if I got mine in time and you, who let me know about the special, didn't. I do hope you got yours, but if you didn't make sure to let them know. I only made a comment once to them, but they were *really* nice and fixed the problem. They are a new company so they are still learning about shipping and stuff.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 18:27

Plan: Moderate Low Carb
Stats: 288/240/150 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 35%

You have a low-carb bakery in your town, I'm jealous!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 09:12

BF:

Well, ChrisCanDo, I was bragging a little. The owner makes a few of the easier low carb things, like mini cheesecakes and a few cookies, but nothing like I *wish* he would make. He started the store because his wife is diabetic. So he bakes everything with splenda and up till a year ago quit at that. He has been experimenting with bakiing real low carb, but it's mostly too different for him to do that and still make the sugar free stuff, which satisfies most of his customers. He does carry a lot of other premade, big company stuff, like tortillas, carb control brownies and keto brand. So I am spoiled in that way, to have a little store nearby to grab something spur of the moment. But I'd love to have him make fresh baked things. Hope is alive.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 15:47

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:

It's sorta strange though that they have links to a taxidermy business on this site (Maine Cottage)!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 21:22

BF:

Oh, now, DW, there's nothing weird/scary about taxidermy. I'd be more worried if the link was to like a wood chipping site. Those wood chippers are always involved in scary stuff. Uh, oh, must shut off imagination.

Oh, this is mean to such a little company that makes such tasty treats. The taxidermist is probably a friend. They are probably all over the place in Maine, kind of like blueberries and lobsters. ;- )
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 10:13

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:

Hehehehe...I know...it was just a lame attempt at humor!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 18:04

BF:

DWRolfe: I totally adore lame attempts at humor.

More on topic, I saw that Maine Cottage Foods has added a permanent version of their delish Valentine's Day cakes, just in frosted cupcake form. I haven't had them yet. If anyone has tried them, let me know so I can participate vicariously. Are they as delish as the hearts were? I really shouldn't buy any more treats till April - but I like to plan, and enjoy, ahead of time. Anticipation. Yes, my life revolves around food. But at least now it is low carb and I am a hell of a lot slimmer than I was!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 17:39

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I was just checking in with company about the name of the cupcakes (Chocolate "Nut" Cupcakes) and here is there response:

"Hello, Amy,
Ironically, there are no nuts per se in the cupcakes.
The only "nuts" are the ground almonds. Donna and I
debated about what to call them, couldn't agree, and
decided to stick to their traditional name, which is
from a Passover cake recipe. Why it's called that I
really don't know. However, I will bring up the name
thing with Donna again to let her know I'm not the
only one wondering "what nuts?".

Any way, the cupcakes really are quite good. Well, of
course, what else would I say! But they really are.
They are not as filling as the brownies though so you
have to exert will power not to eat too many of them,
whereas the brownies are so filling that I have a few
of the bite-size ones and am pretty stuffed. The
recipes are totally different.

Thank you so very much for taking the time to ask.
It is really important for a tiny company to get
feedback so we can make sure we are doing the right
thing.

Have a nice weekend,
Sincerely, Arlene"
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 17:23

BF:

Adukart: That explains a lot. I didn't remember there being "nuts" in the hearts so the cupcake name was kind of confusing. I asked a Jewish friend of mine about Passover chocolate nut cake and she said her grandmother used to chop almonds for hours to get them as fine as she could since the cake was cakier the more finely chopped they were. A lot of times, though, you could tell it was made of chopped nuts since the nut pieces were big or some pieces were not chopped as small as others. Now with grinding instead of hand chopping, the nuts are in such tiny, uniform pieces that I couldn't "feel" them, if you know what I mean. But on the other hand, the hearts, and I assume cupcakes, are really cakey.