Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 18:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/195/180 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Newbie questions

Hi all - I am on day 2 of induction and so far so good. I haven't really lost any weight yet - early days I guess. I checked for ketosis but so far negative. My question is do I need to count calories as well. I have been maintaining well below 20g of carbs a day, but do not count calories - I don't stuff my face, simply eat until no longer hungry and snack when I feel hungry. My understanding is that this should work. I drink only decaf coffee and have had no alcohol. I do add a little 2% milk to my coffee but only ever drink about 1/2 a cup - should I cut that out - I probably will change to cream on the next trip to the store.

Here is what I have been eating
Day 1
Breakfast - 5-6 strips of bacon, cup of decaf with a little 2% milk, deli turkey, with cream cheese and sugar free strawberry jam.
Lunch - Salmon and cream cheese and 3 of the above roll ups
Snack - 3 string cheese sticks during the day
Dinner - steak, sauted mushrooms, and broccoli.

Day 2 - Breakfast - 5-6 meatballs from recipe on this site, 1/4 tomato
Lunch - Canadian bacon, cream cheese and strawberry jam roll ups 4-5, 1 cup of broccoli with blue cheese dip.
Snack - 3 string cheese sticks, microwaved pepperoni - 10 slices
Dinner - fried chicken breast and salad with blue cheese dressing

I drink a minimum of 64 oz of water a day (and now pee like a horse!), but today I have been feeling headachy most of the day - probably caffeine withdrawal, but perhaps an indication of ketosis.

any thoughts or suggestions welcome

Campbell.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 18:55

Stats: 271.5/233.5/210 Male 69 Inches
BF:35 - I am a Burger
Progress: 62%

2 days and no weight loss really is no big deal.

Just keep plugging away. I would skip the milk though and try heavy whipping cream. Probably tastes better anyway.

I have stayed away from coffee of any kind. Just not so sure about what will happen, but I am a BIG TIME coffee drinker....but now it's just water or when I feel I want something a little different, I have a glass of water.

Snicker.
Max
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 20:28
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I see a ton of processed foods. You should try to limit those as much as possible not only because of the high salt level but most of those contain sugars.

The jam is a nono on induciton, even if sugar free, as is the milk. Remember too that cream cheese and regular cheese is limited to so many oz a day.

Add in more veggies as well. You should be having a few cups of the allowed salad greens or more of the other veggies.

Is the fried chiciken breast unbreaded, and is the blue cheese dressing sugar free?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 00:27

Stats: 210/195/180 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 50%

Thanks for the replies. I religiously check the labels and according to those, my carb intake should be low. However I agree there is probably too much in the way of processed foods - it is just taking me a little while to adjust and find my groove so to speak. The milk probably amounts to a tablepsoon a day, and the sugar free jam indicated 0g of sugar carbohydrate. The chicken breast was indeed not breaded - I had to remove all the breading to get to just clean white meat. The blue cheese dressing does not indicate "sugar free" on the front label, but does not contain any carbs of any kind according to the food label. I will ditch the milk and work on increasing leafy veggies.

Thanks again

Campbell
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 00:44

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Quote:
it is just taking me a little while to adjust and find my groove so to speak.

Hi, Campbell! I think I know just how you feel! I spent practically all of Induction just getting the hang of this, although completely enjoying my new-found freedom with butter, cream, and all the other good stuff!

Can you possibly throw in a salad for lunch? That would really help with your carb intake. It's best to try to keep your level as close to 20 as you can, with the majority of them coming from the veggies. Then use a few extra for the cheese and stuff.

And yes, as soon as you can get to the store, get yourself either some cream or half-and-half. We just can't afford enough cream for everyone here, so we use the half-and-half. Your coffee will thank you for it!