Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 10:57

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Thumbs up Arguing over Atkins

Traditional diet and exercise or the no-carb system? Doctors and dieters debate

By BARBARA KORNBLUH
Special to The Daily Journal
Atkins dieters don't have it easy.

link to article

They can't pig out on bread, pastas, rice and most fruit.

They're forced to improvise (read: take the hot dog out, and throw away the bun) when they get hungry on the road.

And then there are all the questions from friends and family: Isn't that unhealthy? Don't you miss eating bread and fruits? Aren't you worried the diet will raise your cholesterol?

But not all medical professionals sniff at the famous dietary plan created decades ago by Dr. Robert Atkins.

Local Atkins dieters have a friend in Dr. Charles Mintz, a Millville physician. In spite of his small frame, he has been on the diet for years.

"The Atkins diet is really a way of life for me and my family," said Mintz, 64. "I was reluctant to try it, but have been on it for the past 25 years."

Mintz has never been overweight and doesn't have any serious health issues.

Fact is, he loves eating steak, chicken and turkey smothered in sauteed onions. And he doesn't miss stuffed baked potatoes, gooey iced cakes or ice cream sundaes.

The Atkins diet sets few limits on the amounts of food dieters can eat. Instead, it restricts the types of food eaten.

Starches -- such as potatoes, breads and crackers -- are limited or restricted, while dieters can have unlimited amounts of red meat, eggs and cheese -- foods typically off limits in other diets. Atkins claims his diet, if followed closely, will result in weight loss and improved memory and energy levels. Dieters also will find their appetite greatly reduced, too, according to Atkins.

Mintz agrees.

"At one time, I ate a diet filled with junk food just like everyone else," he said. "But today I have more energy and stamina than I did when I was a lot younger. My lipids are good and so is my general health."

His interest in the diet started when his wife, Rina, investigated the diet years ago.

A skeptical Mintz bypassed Atkins' famous book and went right to the source to get his questions answered.

"I told Rina we would try the diet only if we could meet the well-known doctor and learn more about the plan," Mintz said. "And I discovered that it in fact makes lots of sense. Our entire lives changed."

He said Rina's moods improved.

"Shortly into the plan Rina started waking up earlier and experienced more energy," Mintz said. "The extra pounds peeled off, and we both had (fewer) colds."

Mintz said Atkins dieters feel the difference it makes getting rid of the carbohydrates and refined sugars so common in American diets these days.

"Most people want to eat what they see on TV," Mintz said. "That means a diet filled with sugar and empty calories. Once my patients go on a modified Atkins diet for two weeks, they not only lose weight, but have a special twinkle in their eye because they experience progress and generally feel much better."

Dieters adjust to meals filled with red meat, shellfish, cheeses, chicken and turkey usually prepared with mayonaise, butter or oils.

But not everyone agrees with the plan.

Registered dietician Cheryl Ann Macellaro, a member of The Daily Journal's Food Advisory Board, thinks the diet lacks variety -- a problem that makes it nearly impossible to stick to.

"The bottom of the food pyramid is off limits," she said. "That means no breads, cereals and starches. And lots of fruits and even milk are out of the picture.

"A good healthy diet still comes down to watching portion sizes, cooking heart healthy, watching caloric intake and getting physically active," Macellaro added. "If people would follow these steps we would not have an obesity epidemic in America."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 11:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I am getting sick of hearing this no variety crap. Let's take a look at what Atkins Forbids for everyone for life:

1) Refined Sugar. This is forbidden/restricted on every diet I've ever seen, including Low-Fat diets. It can easily be replaced with: Sucralose, Saccharin, Acesulfame-K, or Stevia. All it takes is a little getting used to.

2) Refined Flour. Most diets also discourage the use of Refined Grains in favor of Whole Grains. Atkins allows Whole Grains if they don't cause you to gain weight, once you reach Pre-Maintnance. With all the Reduced-carb Breads now...it is even easier. You can buy whole wheat/soy bread (which tastes very good) with 5g Net Carbs at most supermarkets. Soy Bread with 3g Net Carbs is obtainable at most health food stores. Carbolite and Atkins Bread mixes (YUK !!!) with I believe 2g Net Carbs is available at some supermarkets/health food stores.

Now, lets see what Atkins restricts:

1) French Fries. These are forbidden on most diets, especially low-fat diets.

2) Baked Potatoes and Mashed Potatoes. These are only allowed in moderation on most diets. Atkins also allows them in moderation if they don't cause weight gain once you reach pre-maintnance.

3) Bananas and other Hi-GI Fruit. Most of these are high in calories also, which means they are limited on low-calorie diets also. Atkins allows limited amounts of these fruits if they do not induce weight gain once you get to Pre-Maintnance.

4) Milk. Low-Fat and Low-Calorie diets both restrict milk due to its fat/calorie content. Dairy Milk can be replaced with Unsweetened Soy/Soya Milk or Heavy Cream on Atkins. Heavy Cream is forbidden on Low-Cal./Low-Fat diets.

Now, let's look at what is restricted/forbidden on Low-Fat/Low-Calorie diets:

1) Red Meat. Atkins allows as much red meat as you want. But, this filling food is forbidden or heavily restricted on most Low-Fat/Low-Calorie diets.

2) Lean Meats. Atkins allows as much lean meat as you want. This filling food is limited/restricted on low-fat/low-calorie diets.

3) Dairy other than Milk. These are heavily restricted or even forbidden on Low-Fat/Low-Calories diets. Atkins allows Moderate amounts of Cheese and Cream. Butter is allowed in whatever quantity you wish.

4) Nuts. These are high in fat...so, I'd suspect that they are restricted/limited on LF/Low-Cal diets. Atkins allows Nuts.

Let's look at what is allowed on Atkins Induction and OWL:

1) Most, if not all Green Vegetables;
2) Most Low-GI Fruits such as Berries and Melons;
3) Nuts and Seeds;
4) Red and Lean Meats; and
5) Dairy (except Milk).

Let's look at what is allowed on Low-Fat/Low-Calorie Diets:

1) Most Vegetables;
2) Most Fruits; and
3) Most Grains.

Now, tell me...which is more Restrictive ??? The diet that allows most everything (if you can handle it) or the diet that forbids the very staple of the diet man evolved on: Red and Lean Meats.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 10:48

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default I agree

And let's not forget the wonderful, delectable, smooth and creamy avocado. I love eating avocados without guilt.

The interesting thing to me is that my diet before low-carbing was very very boring. I tended to eat my homemade spaghetti sauce with mounds of vermicelli or my homemade chili with potatoes and cheese (I ate very poorly). But I did this mostly because I was so tired and uninterested in food, except to eat way too much, that I would make big batches of spaghetti sauce and chili and freeze them so I could just pop them in the microwave and not have to cook.

Now I look forward to my next concoction. I love to experiment and try new foods and combinations of ingredients. And the variety is endless because I am no longer centered on carbs, particullarly starches.

I really liked Dr. Mintz's story though.
;-Deb

Last edited by DebPenny : Thu, May-01-03 at 11:11.