Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 19:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/190/126 Female 5"6
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Out of control?

Hey, my name is Charlie, im 25 and live in the UK.

I started Atkins around 14 months ago. I'm 5"6, and have gone from weighing 210 pounds (15 stone) to 126 pounds (9 stone). Although, im just not happy with it. My goal started out at 147 pounds, then when I got to that, it went half a stone lower, then another. People are telling me that I look too thin, and that I need to put some wight ON! This kind of gets on my nerves, as I want people to say how well I have done, and how hard it must of been, and that I look so much better for it. Along with all the disaproving comments of 'isnt that dangerous', and 'i couldnt live without bread etc' *sigh*

I have been overweight all my life, from being about 12 until I began Atkins, I weighed between 168 and 210. I have gone from a size 20 to a size 8-10, and I do feel amazing. But im just not happy, I look in the mirror, and whilst I know I have lost the weight, because the scales say so, I still see that 15 stone girl. I have never had 'issues' with eating or anything, the reason I got so overwieght, was down to eating takeaways, drinking beer, and just eating unhealthilty. I've never binged, starved myself or made myself sick, if I had, then I could maybe understand why this is happening.

I am wondering if this has turned into a problem for me, and what to do...I dont want to stop, I want to carry on. I feel like I have achieved so so much, ive lost 6 stone, 84 pounds, but its just not enough. As I said earlier, my goals keep changing, at the minute, my goal is 119 (8 stone 7). It feels like I have become addicted to loosing weight. But then when people say to me, your too thin now, I just dont see that. But I also am proud of myself, lets face it, being 9 stone is much more healthier than being 15 stone, but then again, being underweight probably aint much better than being morbidly obese.

I started Atkins after a day out one day, were I was so out of breath when I got to the top of a hill, that I had to sit down. I was 24, I shouldnt of been out of breath like that. So I decided to do something about it, and did, and now this is where I am at.

It seems to have got out of control....

Edit : I also have Bipolar (Manic Depression), and am a chronic self harmer (mainly cutting and burning, but never used my eating as a form of self harm) and I am on Lithium, Olanzapine and Citalopram.

Last edited by charlie0 : Wed, Aug-17-05 at 21:00.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 19:59

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

What kind of bone structure do you have? I'm 5'7 1/2" and I used to weigh 126 and I'm big boned. I was not too thin (I was in high school). NOw that I'm quite a bit older, I wouldn't even want to weigh that little - all my wrinkles would really show.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 20:10

Plan: yes
Stats: 14/14/14 Female 20
BF:
Progress: 101%

Well I'm almost 36, 5'7" and 124, and I'm hardly too thin.

I think it depends entirely on how you're carrying your weight and what your "shape" goals are. That said, it is possible to get addicted to weight loss. I know plenty of people who psychologically sabotage themselves into regaining their weight, just so they have it to take off again. If you truly feel out of control (rather than just feeling the need to fine-tune), then you might wish to seek out some other kind of support. I know what you mean though with the seeing the Old You in the mirror still. I know for me, even at 220, I had similar proportions to what I have now, so I still see what looks familiar and it messes with my head.

I hope you find what's right for you, and otherwise -- welcome aboard!!
d.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 20:53
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidnj
Well I'm almost 36, 5'7" and 124, and I'm hardly too thin.

I think it depends entirely on how you're carrying your weight and what your "shape" goals are. That said, it is possible to get addicted to weight loss. I know plenty of people who psychologically sabotage themselves into regaining their weight, just so they have it to take off again. If you truly feel out of control (rather than just feeling the need to fine-tune), then you might wish to seek out some other kind of support. I know what you mean though with the seeing the Old You in the mirror still. I know for me, even at 220, I had similar proportions to what I have now, so I still see what looks familiar and it messes with my head.

I hope you find what's right for you, and otherwise -- welcome aboard!!
d.

Wow I couldn't even imagine doing that. I kinda sabotage myself because I start seeing a different shape and I want what's familiar instead. I tend to sit down and roll down so I can see rolls which is familiar and I can continue with weight loss that way ... it's weird how the human mind works...

e