Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 21:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 321/310/160
BF:
Progress: 7%
Angry The New Muffins

Oh My God! I ordered Atkins Blueberry and Corn Muffins Mix online and received my package yesterday. They are now 8 carbs each!!! I called Atkins and they said they changed the formula. Why in the heck did they change it for the worst. I am so upset!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 21:47

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Wow. You mean 8 effective carbs? That's a lot! Are they still so small?

Hmm... well, I guess they'll taste better. But is it worth it?

Edited to add: OH my god, I just looked at the website and the muffins now have MALTITOL in them! Ugh.

Oh wait, these are the ready-to-eat ones... but still, look at these ingredients:

Ingredients: Water, flour (almond, soy), egg white, maltitol , cream (milk cream, sodium citrate, potassium diphosphate), protein isolate, chopped walnuts, baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), baking powder (sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium bicarbonate, cornstarch, calcium sulfate), vegetable shortening (partially hydrogenated soybean oil and cottonseed oil with mono and diglycerides), potassium sorbate (as a preservative), xanthan gum, salt, natural and artificial flavors, sucralose (Splenda brand), vanilla extract.

Doesn't look very Atkins-y to me.

Last edited by Skamito : Sat, Apr-05-03 at 21:51.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 21:58

Plan: Weight Watchers (1/2008)
Stats: 264/214/185 Female 5' 9½"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I was given a great flax seed muffin recipe - the recipe makes 18 for a total of 53 carbs with 16 g fiber (37 divided by 18 is 2.06)
I make my to taste like banana bread

1 cup SF Davinci Flavoring (Banana or Vanilla)
1 stick melted butter
3 large eggs
1 t vanilla
2 T banana flavoring
1/2 c heavy whipping cream
2 T oil

Mix all wet ingedients together

Blend all dry ingredients, then blend with above

1 C (ground) flax seed
3/4 C vanilla protein powder
3/4 C soy flour
1t baking powder
1/2 c chopped nuts (of your choice)

Pour into 18 muffin tins, lined with papers
Bake 350 for 18-22 minutes

I like to cool completely, then remove the paper liners, and store 2-3 in zip lock bags. I toss into the freezer, and pull them out as needed. Great with butter or cream cheese
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 22:19
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Skamito
Oh wait, these are the ready-to-eat ones... but still, look at these ingredients:

Ingredients: Water, flour (almond, soy), egg white, maltitol , cream (milk cream, sodium citrate, potassium diphosphate), protein isolate, chopped walnuts, baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), baking powder (sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium bicarbonate, cornstarch, calcium sulfate), vegetable shortening (partially hydrogenated soybean oil and cottonseed oil with mono and diglycerides), potassium sorbate (as a preservative), xanthan gum, salt, natural and artificial flavors, sucralose (Splenda brand), vanilla extract.

Doesn't look very Atkins-y to me.

This stuff really ticks me off! It's hypocritical for Atkins to vehemently preach to abstain from trans fats, yet sell them in his products. I still believe his frankenfoods are a conflict of interest.

Seriously, I love the man, but strongly disagree with his business decisions.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 22:37

Stats: 321/310/160
BF:
Progress: 7%

Thanks for the recipe
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 08:24

Stats: 196/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Second outrage

Hi all,

Eight grams of carb !

A disgusting turn of events. Recently at a GNC store, which I generally avoid 'cause the prices are outrageous, they had a super sale on Atkins mixes, (now I know why) so I bought a box of banana nut and a box of orange cranberry muffin mixes. The first has 2 g net carbs and the second 3. They weren't bad, but you gotta figure my taste may be out'a whack, 'cause I haven't tasted bread or anything made out of flour for more than two months.

Couple of days ago at the end of a long walk I swung by a supermarket to pick up a couple of things. Really hungry, of course. I followed my hunger into the bread section and started reading labels. A local bakery mades sprouted multi-grain bread that has no trans fats and a net carb count of only 8 grams per slice. I didn't buy any, but sprouted grain bread sounds like a much better deal than Atkins to me. Much cheapter, too !

(I dreamed about a grilled cheese sandwich, or a thick ham sandwich with lettuce, tomatoes and mayo. Maybe some Swiss cheese too ! Sigh. )

We all know the food industry follows the dollar, and creates demands with Frankenfoods, but it's a great shame that Dr. Atkins has capitulated, and seems to be putting pocketbook before principle.

And, thanks, CharM, for the recipe.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 13:03

Stats: 213/189/155 Male 5' 8"
BF:27
Progress: 41%

It is pretty sad that Dr Atkins would slap his name on all these "treats" that he warns against in his book. I wonder if he has any approval over what is sold under his name? It looks to me like a company just paid him a large sum of money to use his name to sell their products.

It's starting to seem that the only safe way to eat non-traditional LC foods like LC breads and muffins is to make them from scratch that way you can be sure what's in them.

I never was much of a cook, but since I've been LC'ing I've been cooking so much I think I could host my own cooking show on the Food Network.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 18:48

Stats: 223/163/145 Female 5'5"
BF:?/25%/23%
Progress: 77%
Unhappy New Atkins Muffin Mixes

Just got the new atkins blueberry and corn muffins. The box says net effective 8 carbs. Does anyone know what happen they used to be 3 effective carbs. I had an old Atkins muffin box and compare the ingred. The new muffin mix uses wheat flour the old muffin mix used corn starch. Hummmmmm, I though we couldn't eat that stuff.

The new muffin mix just is too many carbs!!!!!!!

And they downsized the box by 1/3. But the price is the same.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 10:54

Stats: 205/189/170
BF:
Progress: 46%

it sucks!~
I bought them by accident and who wants to waste 8 grams on a TINY muffin? Its crap, they discontinued the other ones.

I have to say the atkins company is TERRIBLE with regards to marketing their food. They change it every other day and discontinue products left and right
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 11:28

Stats: 223/163/145 Female 5'5"
BF:?/25%/23%
Progress: 77%
Default Update on Muffin Mix Atkins

Called Atkins Customer Support and the ones that changed to 8 carbs are Blueberry and Corn Muffins. That's too bad since I thought both were very good. The others like lemon poppy seed and orange stayed the same 2 carbs.

I did let Customer Support know that first of all I would not buy the Blueberry or Corn any more due to the carb count.

The second thing I let them know is how expensive they are since they were reformulated.......12 muffins to the original 18. That a 33% increase in price. They are stayed at 5.99 but are a 1/3 less weight thus makes less muffins.

Please call atkins customer sevice at 800-6Atkins and let them know how you fee.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 02:29
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 62/58/54
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default atkins new muffin mixes

I just had a look at the new muffin mixes. Although the corn, blueberry and the pancake indeed has higher carbs (8g) the banana nut and lemon poppy seed is still 2 and 3 carbs, which is a good deal and those falvours are really good as well.
Just wanted to let you know that not all of them are high carb.
Kati
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 09:59

Stats: 138/122/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Re: atkins new muffin mixes

Quote:
Originally posted by kati
I just had a look at the new muffin mixes. Although the corn, blueberry and the pancake indeed has higher carbs (8g) the banana nut and lemon poppy seed is still 2 and 3 carbs, which is a good deal and those falvours are really good as well.
Just wanted to let you know that not all of them are high carb.
Kati

I thought the blueberry only had 3 carbs after you deduct fiber. ECC=3grams right?

#13   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 15:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default Re: Re: atkins new muffin mixes

Not.

Apparently the new mixes are 8g carbs net, after deductions... and I don't think I go for that total deduction of maltitol, either... too many people are affected by sugar alochols --in my opinion-- for such a sweeping statement.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 16:03

Stats: 205/189/170
BF:
Progress: 46%

I got stuck with 10 boxes of this crap
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 16:09

Stats: 138/122/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Re: Re: Re: atkins new muffin mixes

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandGirl
Not.

Apparently the new mixes are 8g carbs net, after deductions... and I don't think I go for that total deduction of maltitol, either... too many people are affected by sugar alochols --in my opinion-- for such a sweeping statement.

I am one of those affected by malitol. I cant eat the sugar free stuff with it in it. So no sweets for me.