Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 08:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/190/180 Male 69 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 87%
Default My patience is getting real thin

My patience is getting real thin with articles that say “recent studies” when what they are really saying is “I’m a doctor so I must be right.”

Another is; always consult a doctor before undertaking any diet. Why? I’m fat I need to lose weight, so why do I need a doctors permission to diet.

Next.

Lez
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 08:52

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 244/198/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

"Recent studies"....yep, it's like saying "they say"..well who is they anyway? We have to use our own noggins to decipher any info we process.

Regarding the doctor comment, it's a blanket CYA for any program advertising their plan for the most part, but there is always a percentage of people who should see a doctor before starting a plan in case they have underlying health risks. There are a multitude of syndromes and diseases that can go undiagnosed that can be affected by diet and/or exercise. The makers of plans or diet products don't want anyone dropping dead on their plan/product, so it's a disclaimer in case that does happen and they could say, "They didn't see a doctor...my stuff didn't kill him...could have been anything."

Last edited by Alicatspjz : Wed, Jan-25-06 at 09:33.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 09:31

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 195/185/140 Female 5'3"
BF:Well-marbled
Progress: 18%

Hee hee, yeah... the one and only time I went to the doctor to get diet advice he told me to "just go pick up any women's magazine." Real professional. *roll eyes*
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 09:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

There's a joke something like, "I didn't have to ask my doctor before I ate all the Snicker's bars and crap that got me fat, why do I need his permission to lose the weight?"

Your thread title made me think of a slogan for a fat-loss doctor:
"My patients is getting real thin"
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-31-06, 16:36

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 43%

Some of the dumbest advice I've ever heard came from Doctors. Thanks, but I think I can live my own life folks.....

Doctors drive me crazy.....
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-31-06, 17:54

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

When I went to see my doc to talk about something unrelated to weight I (foolishly) asked her what she thought my weight should be. She said I should have a BMI of AT LEAST 25!?!?! She told me that I was "underweight" with a BMI of 21. It's the last time I have asked her advice on anything.

Docs think they know it all but mine is yet another example of how little she really does know.

I made the mistake of saying "Atkins" to her one time and she told me it was dangerous to eat all that fat and meat without any veggies or fruit. She "ordered" me to stop immediately.

Each time I have seen her since she asks about my diet, tells me my weight is too low, advises me to gain 10-15# and stop my running program because it's too hard on my joints!?!?! Oh, and she wants me to take antidepressants because I wake up in the middle of the night......

So when I hear "see your doctor" I just groan! As for "studies show" - prove it with serious science - a long term study controlling for gender, chronic disease, smoking status, age etc. and THEN tell me "they say"!

Jumping off the soap box.....

Julie
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-31-06, 18:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Julie, you need a new doctor! Good grief, if you ever had a real problem it seems like she's orbiting pluto...
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-31-06, 18:07

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Doctors need to know the difference between fact and opinion. They need to stop living in the Twighlight Zone.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-31-06, 18:28

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I haven't seen a doctor (professionally) in about four years. It's been about four years since I started Atkins. I just don't seem to have any health problems anymore.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-31-06, 22:28
Carolina Girl

Stats: 244.5/131.8/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 91%

I had to see a doctor because I had a pretty bad thyroid problem. However, it took quite a while to get that diagnosed because of course everything wrong with me was completely due to my weight. I can just see it...I'll break my arm or something and they'll tell me I just need to lose weight!! I really avoid the doctor at all cost if I can. They are so arrogant. Is this a course in medical school they take?? Arrogance 101.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-06, 08:04

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Most of the time, I see an endocrinologist in dealing with my thyroid issues. I don't go often--once a year or so. So between appointments in 2004, I'd lost about 70 pounds. He was thrilled about my weightloss. He had no issue with Atkins, although he correctly predicted that the weightloss would become less and less rapid, and that I'd need to further cut calories as weight dropped. A very practical guy.

On the other hand, I have had truly incompetent doctors as well.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-06, 08:30

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Each time I have seen her since she asks about my diet, tells me my weight is too low, advises me to gain 10-15# and stop my running program because it's too hard on my joints!?!?! Oh, and she wants me to take antidepressants because I wake up in the middle of the night......

I don't know about gaining weight, but at 5' 9" tall, a goal weight of 135 is at the lower end of the scale unless you have a fairly small frame.
Running is hard on your joints, especially if you tend to run on hard surfaces like sidewalks or paved roads as many people do and don't use good quality shoes made specifically for that purpose and replace them frequently.
Waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to go back to sleep is often a symptom of depression, but does not automatically mean you are depressed.

IMO, your doctor isn't as far out in orbit as you think, but she could do with a bit more investigation before making a diagnosis.

There are good doctors, not so good doctors and downright dangerous doctors out there. As with any service, our motto should always be "let the buyer beware". If you disagree with or don't like your doctor's advice, tell them and discuss it (you never know, they may have very sound reasons for what they're telling you or they may be advising you without having all the facts and those could come out in discussion) or find another doctor. I recently switched doctors myself because my prior doctor kept pushing statins even though we had discussed it and I had given him my (IMO sound) reasons for not wanting to take them.
Just my nickel's worth.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-06, 09:49
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Even Atkins said to see your doctor before starting his plan. He suggested getting blood work done to make sure kidney and liver functions are normal.

All studies are not equal, but there are good ones out there. You just have to know how to evaluate them.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-06, 09:53

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
I don't know about gaining weight, but at 5' 9" tall, a goal weight of 135 is at the lower end of the scale unless you have a fairly small frame.
Running is hard on your joints, especially if you tend to run on hard surfaces like sidewalks or paved roads as many people do and don't use good quality shoes made specifically for that purpose and replace them frequently.
Waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to go back to sleep is often a symptom of depression, but does not automatically mean you are depressed.

IMO, your doctor isn't as far out in orbit as you think, but she could do with a bit more investigation before making a diagnosis.

I mainly keep this doctor as the holder of my medical records and use walk in clinics most of the time. I seldom need to see her at all since being on Atkins and getting healthy.

I do have a small frame - my fingers over lap on the wrist test. I also have extra fat that still needs to go! Despite a long conversation with her AND showing her my belly she still insists that I should be at least 150# or I am underweight..... However, her analysis of my DD, 17 and 5'10" is that DD is overweight at 180 (larger frame than me) and should be a MAX of 150?!?!?

I had some problems with my knees and Achilles so I went to a running store to get proper fitting shoes and advice - doc wants me to walk but it doesn't get my heart rate up.

I wake up in the night, check the time, put eye drops in (dry eyes) and go back to sleep almost all the time. Sometimes if I'm really stressed I stay awake for a while. I never saw this as a problem. Not sure why she does....

Sadly there is a real lack of doctors here so I can't change. As I said, she holds my records and that's about it.

Thank you for your concerns Lisa!!!

Julie
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-06, 01:40

Plan: Atkins original diet
Stats: 245/210/175 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lez
My patience is getting real thin with articles that say “recent studies” when what they are really saying is “I’m a doctor so I must be right.”

Another is; always consult a doctor before undertaking any diet. Why? I’m fat I need to lose weight, so why do I need a doctors permission to diet.

Next.

Lez

Remember, 4 out of 5 doctors is 80%.

cjl [irrelevant statistics 'R Us]