Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-02, 05:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%
Progress: 100%
Default New book!

I bought "The Schwarzbein Principle II: The Transition" last night. It looks good. The first half is "the why," the second "the how." There's a big chapter on the hormone cortisol and its role in health. Dr. Schwarzbein spends time explaining why you can eat too few carbs as well as too many. It should spark some controversy among low-carbers.

I'm eager to sit down and read it.

Sheldon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-02, 07:47

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

I have read other 'schools of thought ' about how not including some carbs in one diet could stall weight loss and wondered about this, especially after lurking on some sites where posters say they have tried totally cutting carbs/being very strict "and still don't lose". Maybe this could be the explanation.

What I have always loved about TSP is the balance and good sense. I am looking forward to receiving my copy from amazon.-- I had a gift certificate to use-- guess I could have gotten it sooner at a 'brick and mortar' book store--Oh Well!

From your #s Sheldon, it has worked for you well!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-02, 11:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%
Progress: 100%

Thanks, Rosarugosa. The numbers do look good. Squeezing out the last two pounds has been tough, but as I said above, I can't see worrying over it considering that 34-waist pants are looking loose. My wife says I'm skinny.

I agree with you about Schwarzbein's apparent good sense. She does explain things well. According to her, I have to do some tweaking. She advises against making fruit the sole source of carbs, which it has nearly been for me. I was thinking of adding a slice of whole wheat bread (7 grams per slice) a few times a week and maybe a brown rice cake (6 grams). I'll see what difference that makes. Peanut butter has also been a source of carbs, but not that many.

But I must say I am impressed with the decades-old research that says you need no carbs at all, or very little. The Stefannson story is fascinating.

I should add that Schwarzbein repeats here earlier advice: do not count calories.

Sheldon
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-02, 15:13

Plan: Atkins or bust
Stats: 287/278/138
BF:
Progress: 6%

I bought the Schwarzbein II book this weekend. It's been really helpful but I don't think it's organized well for visual thinkers. You have to skip all over the place to figure out what to do, what plan to follow, etc. That's my only criticism. I finally found a book that explains why I not only have weight problems but hives, fogginess, fibromyalgia, etc. on top of my thyroid disease (autoimmune). I'm the worst case scenario with low-normal adrenals and insulin resistance. My doctor has me on metformin and I was given a low calorie (1,200) low fat, low protein diet. I've decided on my own to use the Schwartzbein plan rather than my doctor's. I tried the low resource plan and I felt really sick. It's too early to tell if the Schwartzbein plan will work for me but I already have fewer cravings and am not really that hungry. The tale will be told with my blood values late in November when I return.

I'm hopeful at least....
Shekhina
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 08:39

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 178/158/145
BF:36%/23.5%/22.5%
Progress: 61%

I have my fingers crossed that Dr. S. can get onto a national book tour and get on some of the TV Morning shows so she can reach lots more people. Especially those touting the conventional wisdom of high carb!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 16:45

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%
Talking Got my book today, too!

Yep, got it, looking at the cover right now. Only thing I have done with it so far is rip out the comment card in the center and fill it out anonymously. Hey, it's their stamp, I might as well tell em what they want to know, just without my return address so I don't get any more junk mail!

Shek, I hope the book reads as well as her first book. I noticed the first book was a little out of sync, or out of order, so I guess I must be a visual person as you mention. But still great stuff, and I understood the program, just had to lookie around a little bit more than I wanted to.

Sheldon, isn't it exciting reading a new book from her?! You are doing so well, keep it up friend!

Rosa, I have noticed that when I eat too few carbs I don't lose anymore weight than if I were eating the recommended amount, as you have said. One thing I have noticed is that I do better when I vary the amount of carbs, not just the type. I make sure that no 2 days are the same. Sometimes I have 45 grams per meal, others no countable carbs, other than sat a salad. Seems to keep it "Real."

Anyway, here's to all of us and our new book (which I will get to eventually, I just know it!).