Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-18-07, 11:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Unhappy I feel like poo

After I gorged on pistachios my intestines got wonky and I haven't been able to straighten them out since. And I feel tired and sapped. Gosh, I went through a period where my intestines were normal for weeks on end, and I was having goat milk kefir every day. Maybe I should do that again.

I'm thinking of making a big pot of chicken soup and eating nothing but that until things get better.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-18-07, 11:07

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sorry Nancy! I hate those days. Hopefully you'll get back to normal soon.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-18-07, 11:53

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
After I gorged on pistachios my intestines got wonky and I haven't been able to straighten them out since. And I feel tired and sapped. Gosh, I went through a period where my intestines were normal for weeks on end, and I was having goat milk kefir every day. Maybe I should do that again.

I'm thinking of making a big pot of chicken soup and eating nothing but that until things get better.

Water. I feel off like that seems like too often. Salt often makes me feel this way. Water seems to to help me on those occasions more than any kind of food.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-18-07, 22:03
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

That sucks. Damn pistachios. The chicken soup idea sounds good - nourishing and simple.

Got any glutamine lying around?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 09:32
Experimenter

BF:

I think I'm going to stop taking glutamine. Someone scared me that it was a neuro-toxin, like MSG. It always worked really nicely on my bowels.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 12:30

BF:

Quote:
I think I'm going to stop taking glutamine. Someone scared me that it was a neuro-toxin, like MSG. It always worked really nicely on my bowels.

I was unsure even what glutamine was until I looked it up. It's found in many protein sources, such as red meat, and fish, which you're probably getting a lot of already.

Speaking of feeling like poo, I'm going to have to give up my "dependence" on nuts. Why have I seemed to transfer my sugar cravings onto walnuts, pine nuts and almonds? I cheated bad on Thursday and Friday evenings. Yuck. And even after my positive results on the scales and despite feeling better.

#7   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 12:36
Experimenter

BF:

Well, the point is glutamine in capsules is many, many times more concentrated than you'd ever get in your diet. Starting in response #6 Hal starts talking about glutamine. I feel like his point is good, what are we doing when we take these huge amounts of amino acids. I was taking a lot of glutamine when my gut was acting up. Like 4-5 grams a day, based on some advice a couple of doctors had in their blogs. But if it IS a neurotoxin, what is that sort of dose doing to me? Other than making my gut calm down?

http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums...st.php?p=104916
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 12:42
Experimenter

BF:

Ok, I am beginning to think eating a lot of coconut flour was what was messing up my stomach! I had my paleo porridge yesterday and my stomach burbled and grumbled like crazy. Today I had Thai omlet and it is as quiet as a lamb.

See when you listen sometimes your body quite literally talks!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 12:46

Plan: paleo/ lyme diet
Stats: 226.5/187.5/125 Female 5'7"
BF:lots
Progress: 38%

Thai Omelet?

Please tell me what's in this~ I really miss Thai!

Thanks~
SB
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 12:50

BF:

Quote:
But if it IS a neurotoxin, what is that sort of dose doing to me? Other than making my gut calm down?

I try to question everything I ingest now, particularly if it comes in pill form. The idea of Paleo to me means that nutrition comes from food and sun. However, I am very lucky in that aspect - lucky that I don't have any major preconditions to deal with (and that I am trying to avoid). If I did, I'd be wise to do as you and heal myself as best I could.

I'm even finding it hard to eat out any more. I used to enjoy it, but the "food" served seems more assembly line and "non-food" to me. Pills and supplements, the same way. I also believe that anything in too large a quantity is toxic, including water . But what may be "toxic" to me, might be beneficial to you.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 12:51

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Nancy do you think it might just be the high fibre content of the pistachios and the coconut flour that may be causeing your bowel issues?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 12:56
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleogal
Thai Omelet?

Please tell me what's in this~ I really miss Thai!

Thanks~
SB

I just posted it to "The Thai Files" in this forum.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 13:00
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProteusOne
I try to question everything I ingest now, particularly if it comes in pill form. The idea of Paleo to me means that nutrition comes from food and sun. However, I am very lucky in that aspect - lucky that I don't have any major preconditions to deal with (and that I am trying to avoid). If I did, I'd be wise to do as you and heal myself as best I could.

I'm even finding it hard to eat out any more. I used to enjoy it, but the "food" served seems more assembly line and "non-food" to me. Pills and supplements, the same way. I also believe that anything in too large a quantity is toxic, including water . But what may be "toxic" to me, might be beneficial to you.

If I were totally healthy I'd completely agree. But I'm battling gut issues which led to my various autoimmune diseases. I feel like the battle ground is my intestines which are leaky and causing other things to happen, so when I heard about glutamine from well-respected GI doctors I got pretty excited.

But I think you're right. Ultimately it's going to be the boring stuff we do day in and day out that'll make us healthy or not.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 13:04

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:

I am EXTREMELY sensitive to MSG and I have read conflicting things about glutamine. I took one large dose once (it is recommended to heal leaky gut) and got a severe, MSG-like buzz from it. I immediately tossed the rest of the glutamine. I sometimes have second thoughts, because I keep seeing it recommended, but your post reinforced my decision.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 13:05
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA
Nancy do you think it might just be the high fibre content of the pistachios and the coconut flour that may be causeing your bowel issues?

I think my gut is very sensitive and when it gets inflammed and unhappy then putting a lot of fiber into it is probably not a good idea. I had a patch of bad eating a couple of weeks ago (Cool Ranch doritos... of all things). That seemed to start the irritated intestines. I got the diet back on track and things seemed to be headed in the right direction with the intestines, then I went crazy on pistachios and I took a turn for the worse. I was already having pretty much a daily bowl muffin (with coconut flour) but it seemed like things got MUCH worse when I started the Paelo Porridge. Maybe having that sort of fiber with an already sore gut is a bad idea. Kind of makes sense I suppose.
Quote:
I am EXTREMELY sensitive to MSG and I have read conflicting things about glutamine. I took one large dose once (it is recommended to heal leaky gut) and got a severe, MSG-like buzz from it. I immediately tossed the rest of the glutamine. I sometimes have second thoughts, because I keep seeing it recommended, but your post reinforced my decision.

I don't feel anything from it whatsoever.

I just bought another 2 bottles of it too! Ack!