Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 01:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/168/150 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Test for Insulin Resistant?

Hi, I am new to this forum. Well, I did register in the past, but never used the forum until now. I have been on Atkins since August 2002, but I am having hormonal imbalances and not able to lose weight for the last three months, even though I have not cheated once. I have had a time ever sinceI lost an ovary in 1997.

I ordered schwarzbein principle, Transition II which is on the way. I don't know what is happening to me. I took the Adrenal Weakness Questionnaire test and scored 19, which is slight to moderate adrenal weakness signs.

I need some tests, but don't know enough about this to ask for them yet.:eek Waiting to read the book!!! There has to be a reason I can't lose weight. I was always able to lose when I stuck to a plan. Hoping the book will give me some insight.

Is there an online test to help you see if you are insulin sensitive or insuline resistant?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by mmmbeads : Mon, Jul-07-03 at 01:07.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 07:47
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi mmmbeads:

I'm sorry to hear about your hormone problems. As Dr. S. says, one imbalance creates another imbalance, so if one hormone is missing, all your hormones are out of balance.

You will get a lot of information from the book. The test for insulin resistance is an insulin blood test. You'll need to go to your doctor for this.

Hopefully you'll get the book soon. It's hard waiting.

Wanda
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 10:49
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks, Wanda. You are so right about the waiting!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 18:28

Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

Hi - I agree, wait for the book. You will probably recognize yourself when you read the chapters on adrenal fatigue and insulin resistance. Most of us beiners have not gone to the doctor to get tested. I did get an ir test after I had already been on the program and realized according to their tests I wasn't IR.

Pianobeiner
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 22:26
Registered Member

BF:
Default Insulin Resistant?

Thanks, I can hardly wait for the book.

I will ask my brother to give me a blood test, rather than pay $150 to be tested through the Schwarzbein/Transition site. He is not an endocrinologist, but he is a physician and he does have access to testing tools, I would think...

Is there a name for the test for Insulin sensitive vs resistant that I can request?

The weight is literally killing me. It is in my midsection as well as the rest of me for the first time in my life. I have a family history of diabetes, so I am trying to get this weight off before I am tagged.

It is so frustrating... I have been on low carb Atkins since August 2002 and I am tottering between 11-15 pounds, although I did lose 16½" from the places I bothered to measure. I have not lost inches nor pounds in three months...

something has got to change here....
Shelley

Last edited by mmmbeads : Wed, Jul-09-03 at 00:00.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 13:14

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

Since you have a history of family diabetes, you should ask for an A1c blood test. That will show your average blood sugar level for a period of several weeks. It could help identify if you are in fact diabetic. I think you can purchase these tests without a prescription and do it yourself for $20 to $25. Being insulin resistant/diabetic does make it more difficult to lose weight.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 18:08
Registered Member

BF:
Default Insulim Resistant

Hi, and thank you for your response. I test my blood once a month with a glucose meter, just in case. Have run them before eating and two hours after, as well. Thank goodness, all has been clear thus far. Pushing the envelope at this weight through. That is why I am in a hurry to lose some more.

***I need the name of the test that will show whether I am insulin sensitive or insulin resistant. Would the A1C be the name of that test? Or is there another name that I can order? ***
Thanks,
Shelley

Last edited by mmmbeads : Fri, Jul-11-03 at 00:09.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 21:34
Registered Member

BF:

Reading the book now!!
Shelley
BG was 113/Insulin sensitive?