Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 19:05
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/K/E
Stats: 138/117.5/114 Female 65.5
BF:38%/21%/?
Progress: 85%
Default Are there tell tale signs of

Are there signs or symtoms of starvation mode? I find it hard to get alot of calories in daily on a induction or similar low carb first phase. I know this is best for me i have been low carb for a few years and did loose. But a while ago i got careless and was in denial about how many carbs i was taking in a day and put back on two inches of fat. So I want to start on an induction phase to jump start some fat loss and want to stay away from starvation mode. I excersise daily and feel fine and not hungry but to get the calories up and keep carbs down is difficult. Why do calories matter so?. I use the protein power guide of eating the right amount of protein and take some basic vitamins and drink alot of water.
I have to go to bed now but just had to get this question asked. I get depressed thinking of not being able to loose this extra body fat.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-05, 20:36
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 279/260/200 Female 5foot 6inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

I was under the impression carbs didn't matter until you were close to your goal, and was having a hard time losing those last few pounds.Then they usually try to lower there calorie intake a little.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-05, 20:51
littl' ol' me;-)

Plan: Atkins-my own
Stats: 160/135/125 Female 5'8"(almost)
BF:Too dayum much!
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by satin_moon
I was under the impression carbs didn't matter until you were close to your goal, and was having a hard time losing those last few pounds.Then they usually try to lower there calorie intake a little.

I'm not sure if she meant to say that Carbs didn't matter..but of course they do. That's what Atkins is. Anywho, I too felt totally un-hungry during induction and after keeping a list of what I ate and the caloric count..I found I was eating anywhere from 400-600 calories a day! Not the healthiest choice, I know..but just ate what I could and very little food filled me up. I'm no expert by any means, but do know that your body needs calories to keep working and if you are eating healthy and the good foods your body needs, a couple weeks with out high caloric intake should kick start your loss...at least it worked for me. BUT everyone is different...if you have a Dr. that you could speak with, I would totally suggest that you do. this forum is awesome but YOU need to know what's best for your body and speaking w/a health professional as well as hearing other's suggestions should keep you in heading in the healthiest direction.
Best to you!!
Jul
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-05, 20:53
littl' ol' me;-)

Plan: Atkins-my own
Stats: 160/135/125 Female 5'8"(almost)
BF:Too dayum much!
Progress: 71%

OH, and maybe it would b helpful if you posted what you were feeling that made you think of starvation mode?... Or r u just concerned that you are starving your body and not aware of it cuz of the low calories? ;-)
Jul again....
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-05, 05:16
Registered Member

Thank you for the responses,

That's just it, I feel fine except for feeling i have to stuff my self with food and walk around uncomfortable because i feel like i ate too much just to keep at least 900 calories per day. (low carb foods are also low calorie) then add in what they call zero calorie foods I did not know how my body would take it. I have read about starvation mode and becoming resistant to weight loss and just do not want to go there. It sounds depressing. I feel great and i want to do induction but was concerned if i drop one more piece of food to get to 20 carbs a day I would have to go lower in calories.

It sounded like maybe there would be symptoms to starvation mode to let you know. People say I should be eating 1200-1300 calories a day. The thought of that makes me ill.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-05, 05:41
Registered Member

I guess I am searching for that ideal food that has no bulk the right amount of calories and protein no carbs or very low. Probably called manna from heaven
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-05, 10:03
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Are there signs or symtoms of starvation mode?

Yep - being colder than everyone else in a given room, cold extremities, fatigue and lack of energy. If it's chronic, you can even notice blue fingernails, decreased thyroid function, etc.

Quote:
I have read about starvation mode and becoming resistant to weight loss and just do not want to go there.

Hon, you're already on the low end of a healthy BMI for your weight. It's not resistance, it's being in maintenance. It's normal and healthy for your body to not want to surrender its remaining 20% or so of body fat that women are supposed to have.

Quote:
(low carb foods are also low calorie)

Not if you're doing it properly. Cook your food in butter or coconut oil. Be generous with adding fats to your veggies. Fat is your friend.

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Jul-03-05 at 10:10.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-05, 18:05
Registered Member

Thank you Kristine,

I love butter, it has been nice knowing i can use it. Well i am feeling really good so that a good sign. Guess i will work it out and try to increase some muscle. Thanks