Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 10:08

Plan: X Factor
Stats: 140/133/90
BF:25
Progress: 14%
Default sweeteners and headaches

Hello
Is there anyone else out there like me that can't eat sugar or sweeteners of any kind because they get a headache? I have been trying to find someone for a long time now with this problem, and if so, have they found a sweetener that does agree with them, it drives me mad never being able to eat anything sweet, I suffer with low blood sugar, and also does anyone know what is ment by fruit concentrates, finding sooooo hard to get it in the UK, I would like to try some recipes with FC in...????
Also sweets of any kind just make me drop off to sleep anywhere, I can be on the PC and just drop off

Maddiemo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 12:38

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I was getting headaches for a while that I attributed to artificial sweeteners.. however, when I read your post, it dawned on me that it's not happening any more. I use a variety of sweeteners: Splenda, Sugar Twin (sodium cyclamate), Sweet n Low (saccharine) and OptiSweet (made from kiwi). I tried Stevia but found the aftertaste too much for me. I'm thinking that you need to ease into using AS, maybe?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 01:42

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs down Allergic to sugar?

Hi Maddiemo

Sorry to hear about your sugar/sweetner headaches. I've never come across that before.

Has your low blood sugar improved since you have been low carbing? It will not be the artifical sweetners that will effect this. Do you eat enough vegetables to ensure some carbs. You may need to increase your carbs to help with this.

Don't know much about fruit concentrates, there used to be frozen drinks which were fruit concentrates, but have not seem them now. You do have to watch them as they will be high in carbs from natural sugars.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 08:42

Default headache sweeteners and sugar

Hello Little Anne..

You ask if my blood sugar has inproved since low carb woe, well yes it has inproved a lot, but still haven't solved the problem yet, it is so hard trying to work out what to eat and what not too, because as you know there is so much hidden sugar in everything, so I don't eat enough really, my diet is getting pretty boring, just chicken and meat, salad veg etc, I wish I could go mad sometimes and have a treat, I would if I was on it just for losing weight, but it is for my health really, and if I do lose a bit of weight it's great too, so can't even cheat it makes me feel so ill..

I have read soooo many books on the subject of low blood sugar, and still non the wiser, they make it so compicated, I would love to chat to anyone else with the same problems...But one thing they all agree on is low carb diets are the way to go

Maddiemo
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 08:48

Default OptiSweet

Hello Jeanyyy

Well you are the fist person that I have heard off that has headaches with sweeteners, I'm sure a lot of people don't link sweeteners with headaches, but it might ring a few bells now, also sugar is just as bad for me...

You mention in you message about a sweetener called (optiSweet) can you tell me anymore about it please, don't know if I can get it over here in the UK but will have a look on the internet..

Maddiemo