Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 23:28

Plan: paleo
Stats: 170/170/170 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: -50%
Default what do people think of HIT?

Many HIT(high intensity training) people are down on the Body For Life methods(that's being generous) as well as many other methods of training. I am speaking of the HIT routines that propose very abbreviated routines of only 2-3 sets each a maximum of 2 or at the most 3 times a week. Some low carbers I know find it difficult to summon the energy for this level of intensity and so they follow more of a moderate intensity, higher volume approach. I am very interested to know what others here have to say on their own experiences.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 07:54
Registered Member

Plan: None
Stats: 200/195/195
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default HIT is many things

First, if you research HIT you will find it has many definitions and probably can't be classified into a single theory. Look at the writings of Dr Ken Leistner or many of the articles at Cyberpump and you will find a wide variety of programs, all intense in nature. Now after saying that I will say that I read in the lowcarb FAQ that HIT may be too much on a lowcarb diet because of its intensity. This would probably be really true if you are switching from low-fat to low-carb because of the 'learning curve' your body is going through (learning how to use fats for your energy). Also note that BFL is looked upon negatively by many weightlifting groups because of its definitions and because of EAS. To put it simply if you are on a strength training (as opposed to body shaping) routine the sets and reps and split don't fit the recommended workouts (low-rep, heavyweight, longer rest between sets and workouts, etc). I've also heard many people would rather do ANY other workout that doesn't require giving money to Bill Phillips (head of EAS). If you look at HIIT (expecially the tougher Japanese protocols) you will see that Bill made the BFL version of HIIT different - not sure why....maybe so more people could do it? True HIIT is intervals using ALL 10 levels for the high end (no 'stepping') and short rest breaks (you will find several different trainers/groups teaching that way instead). So, just wanted you to know that HIT is not the only group saying things.
After all this, my opinion is to try the workout(s) that work for you as opposed to what one person or group says. I know a number of people lifting only twice a week who are getting stronger than they would on many of the other routines. You may have to play with the carbs a little (low-carb ranges from atkins to zone so you have plenty of play room).
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 10:24
Registered Member

Plan: Shark Cycle Plan
Stats: 410/323/250
BF:
Progress: 54%

I am a big believer of the HIT system advocated by Dorian Yates/Mike Mentzer. Train bodyparts NO more than twice a week, 4-5 sets per bodypart going all out to failure or beyond. Really blast your muscles for 45 minutes per workout then provide proper recovery.

I don't have time to spend countless hours in the gym using silly pyramid techniques.........I want to bust the muscles then rest.

This is a great workout for the low carber since we don't have glycogen storage for 2 hour workouts
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 11:36
Registered Member

Plan: None
Stats: 200/195/195
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Agree with Shark

I guess I should have said it directly, but Shark07 said what I wanted to.....

This is the FAQ I was mentioning: http://low-carb.org/faq/#Q4_11
and re-reading it talks more about it not being good with CKD, but possibly with TKD.

If you look through Cyberpump look for some articles by PJ Striet - he talks about one variation from the 1 set to failure HIT where you do 4 sets at a set percentage of your 1 set max (like doing 4 sets of 4 reps at 79% of your 1 rep max with a 2 minute break). That has been doing wonders for me (I stay between 3 and 6 reps per exercise, 1 exercise for each body part). My workouts are 1 hour each twice a week with three different workouts (so in 1 1/2 weeks I will have done 3 different chest, 3 different back, etc). And I wouldn't be a good HITer if I didn't say - don't forget the 20 rep squats at least once a week !
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 11:56

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

johanlook~

I'm curious...what is the GOAL of your workout? You have received some great information here, but what exactly are you looking to gain from your workouts? I'm currently studying to become a certified fitness trainer, and the first question they tell us to ask is "what's your goal" that way we can answer the questions more directly.

Peace,
Bren
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 01:59

BF:

Thanks for the information.

~Bren - My primary goals are to gain strength, lean muscle mass and increase energy(in that order).
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 10:20

Default HIT

As a general statement, it's very difficult to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time if you are an experienced lifter/exerciser. That being said, beginners have made some amazing transformations with the bfl program. I did bfl for the full 12 weeks and made some great progress.
Are you new to lifting?
How much time a day do you want to spend in the gym? True about some low carbers not having the intensity for HIT, but that can be cured with a protein/carb intake 1/2 hour before working out. I have been in the habit recently of eating 30 g of carbs w/ 20 grams of protein 1/2 hour before, then the same after, making sure NOT to get fat in the mix.
Are you thinking of doing BFL?

HTH,
Peace,
Brenda
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 22:17

BF:

~Bren
I have used similar methods to the BFL program buit have not used it in full before although I would consider it. I have been lifting for about 4 years now mainly on HIT programs. I generally spend no more than 40 minutes in the gym and do a workout about every three or four days.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 22:33

Default johanlook!!!!

First of all...way to go on lifting for so long.

Every day that I study for my certification, I seem to get SO much more information, but so much more overwhelmed. To try to sum it all up, once you find something that works for you, do it for a while, then you've gotta find somethin' new!

Have you been doing the same work out for 4 years?

For every one person, there is something that works for them. Mesocycles are ideal and it can take a while to work out a program. I do know that the body is very good at figuring out what you are doing and adapting to it very quickly.

Peace,
Bren
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 12:30

Plan: ??
Stats: 215/215/175
BF:31-32%
Progress: 0%
Default HIT is just simpler imo

I started lifting weights 16 years ago (1986). I went hard and serious for about the first 4 years, but college took too much time and I eventually stopped completely.

Up until May 2001, I have attempted to keep lifting on and off, but work, injuries, and various sicknesses kept me from maintaining a regular schedule.

In May 2001, I finally got my own apartment and spent $2400.00 on a Ironmaster 950 system with attachments, dumbbells, and free weights. www.ironmaster.com

Finally, I was able to begin lifting again on a regular basis. OK, to the point of the thread.

I used to always do HIT from when I was 16-20. I got good results, but I didn't understand my muscles and how I needed time to rebuild and when tear the muscles down too much by doing 3-6 different exercises per muscle group, so I overtrained the whole 4 years. I would do around 8 reps mostly to failure. As soon as I could do 10 I would up the weight. I did this for every muscle group. I liked it. My results would of been so much better if I gave my muscles more rest.

I did BFL from May 2001 until about 2 months ago. Now I do every set to failure. Every week I swap between 4-7 reps and 8-11 reps to keep my muscles from adapting. Also, each week you can decide to do 2 sets for everything, or 3 or 4 sets to keep your muscles from adapting. I am not concerned with huge gains, since I am happy with the size of my main muscle groups. I am focusing on my supporting muscles now using this same technique.

I am definitely noticing faster gains using HIT than I did with BFL.

Doing a set to failure is so much easier than trying to figure out what 60%, 70%, 80%, etc. of your failure as in BFL.

Also, 1 exercise for each muscle group is enough when doing HIT.

If you see the BFL plan, they have you working each muscle group every 5 days. That is a great plan, and I recommend continuing with that routine.

I hope this infor helps.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 14:08
Registered Member

BF:
Default Re: HIT is just simpler imo

Quote:
Originally posted by rrbedford
I used to always do HIT from when I was 16-20. I got good results, but I didn't understand my muscles and how I needed time to rebuild and when tear the muscles down too much by doing 3-6 different exercises per muscle group, so I overtrained the whole 4 years.

This isn't the HIT training I know about. In true HIT, you would do no more than 4 sets (all to failure) per bodypart, with a rest period of 7-9 days in between for maximum recovery.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 14:33

Plan: ??
Stats: 215/215/175
BF:31-32%
Progress: 0%
Default my definition...

I don't know if there is a coined program/terminology for HIT. Can I find it in Webster's?

To me its a general term used to express a weight lifting program where all sets are taken to failure. As I said, when I was 16-20, I didn't really know how muscles and the body worked. I just had body building mags to go by, and they were all programs for muscle heads who used steroids. I took what they said and adapted them into a program that suited my tastes at the time.

Since 1990, it seems like a lot of things and knowledge has improved in regards to muscle growth and development.

So, I am sorry if my understanding doesn't fit what you believe HIT to mean. Waiting 7 to 9 days seems a bit extreme to me, but what do I know.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 19:49
Registered Member

BF:

The HIT (High Intensity Training) method was devised by Arthur Jones (founder of the Nautilus Fitness Equipment Company) in the 1960s after spending many years in research in developing his Nautilus line of cam (varied resistance) machines. He passed on his knowledge to his students, the most famous of which were Casey Viator (the youngest Mr. America of all time) and Mike Mentzer (Mr. America & Mr. Universe). Mentzer played a large role bringing HIT to the general public via his Heavy Duty book series in the 1980s.

I recommend the following books on HIT training:
Heavy Duty by Mike Mentzer
Blood & Guts by Dorian Yates (5 time Mr. Olympia)

There is also a good HIT website.......www.cyberpump.com