Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-08, 10:55

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 225/225/199 Male 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy emotional eating/ no human support

my weight is obese thanks to my emotional eating. i eat when i am lonely, sad, angry, happy..you name it. i don't do drugs or alcohol and wish i did because i might not be obese.

i have started atkins but can't see myself bingeing on protein. i don't have any family or intimate relationships.

just wanted to say hi and see if others eat emotionally and if anyone else is in my boat with regards to human support.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-08, 12:23

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Well.....first off I would like to say welcome to the forums. You'll find a lot of support here..... . I think your best bet would be to start a journal so people can visit you and see how you're progressing. I believe there's a "sticky" on "how to start a journal" at the top of the "Newbies" forum. As far as human support goes, sometimes having no human support is better than having humans who don't support the way you are eating at all. That's how it was with my "ex" and probably the main reason I fell off the wagon back in 2005 when I first started lc'ing.

Secondly, I would like to point out Atkin's is not really about binging out on protein. Although I don't actually "follow" Atkins, I tend to lean towards that way of eating and what it boils down to is a balance of protein, fat, and a minimum of carbs coming mainly from low carb veggies. If you plan on following Atkins and you haven't read the book yet, I suggest you get yourself a copy and read it. It's a common misconception Atkins is about meat, meat, eggs, cheese, and more meat.

Good luck with you're weight-loss journey. You can do it!!

Patty
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-08, 13:28

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 220/190/120 Female 5ft 5inch.
BF:
Progress: 30%

Welcome hun and I do agree with patty, dont feel so bad that you dont have the human support.

Alot of us have the support and its far worst than not having any as it makes you wonder sometimes, if they dont think before they open their mouth.

But there are a lot of information here and no matter how many times you fall, just try and get up again that makes a huge difference and some day it wll pay off.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-08, 16:51

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

You are so not alone on this one. Many of us feel the way you do. Like you I don't smoke, drink or do drugs. Carbs are/were my only high. Sometimes I feel so deprived having to give them up
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 06:16

Plan: LC combo
Stats: 223/211/150 Female 5ft.4in.
BF:
Progress: 16%

I agree - it is better to not have human support if it's a negative support group. Make sure you check the forum for a possible existing support group in your area that meets on a regular basis. In the meantime, know that you can come here and have the support you need. DH is a great supporter - I'm very fortunate. But sometimes, I still need to connect with others going through the same issues. I have legitimate food allergies so that puts me in a slightly different category for people who voluntarily give up bread, pasta and sugar, for example. But that doesn't mean I don't have my moments! You can find support here - it comes in all varieties so don't be offended when someone tells you to get over yourself. Sometimes, we do need that, too. I'm also not on a strict Atkins plan - it's a modified version. You have to do what is comfortable for you. I did not go through induction but gradually dropped my carbs down over a month and then increased exercise and now I keep my carbs to 40 - 50g a day.

I also think starting a journal is an excellent way to track your emotional issues and eating habits. I haven't written in my journal in a while. It doesn't matter to me if anyone reads it or comments on it - I do it for myself. But it's a good way to track your progress and read back to see if the same issues keep coming up.

And another idea - when an addict gets out of rehab, they have counseled that person to get new friends. Old patterns and old friends will get you back into old habits. "Rehab" is a rebuilding process that established new patterns that will hopefully take over. It takes more time and practice than in most rehab places but you may need to work on new relationships. Again, take a look at the forum for possible meetings near you. Keep posting...Cheers!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-08, 09:24

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/212/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy You are not alone!!

First of all, no you have value as a human being. Your weight does not define who you are. I too am an emotional eater. I understand your pain. Not having any family members can be very tough and painful. In your community, I would look for places to make friends. It doesn't have to be a sterotypical friendship. Visit nursing homes (residents are so lonely and often abandoned by family. Also, there are support groups for people dealing with food addiction. I think it stinks that people judge us by how we look, but you have the power to change. I'm still trying to figure it out myself, so just know you are never!! alone
Take care and we are all here for you and cheering you on!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-08, 12:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

I am a fellow emotional eater and binger. I also just eat to eat. I can't seem to change my view on myself no matter what I try. I am in the same cycle as everyone else. I eat cause I hate myself and I hate myself cause I eat and get bigger and bigger..

part of my journal entry today:

I know that what is doing it is my emotional eating, that I'm addicted to eating..I eat when I'm not hungry, and I eat alot. I know I would feel better and look better if I could just stop, so why don't I. I was strong enough once, why not now? The extra lbs that I've gained back are causing all the same trouble they did before-I have leg and hip pain and what I remember my dr saying was siatica (spelling)..not to mention I now notice that I'm not comfortable around my new dh especially when we are intimate etc. Its the same feeling I had several years ago and I hate it. I seem to like to torture myself and treat myself badly, hate myself. UGH.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-08, 12:49
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

Guess What, We are Human and we will support you! Welcome!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-08, 13:56

Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

I wish I could look at myself at say-hey I like myself and I will stop doing these things to myself.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-08, 14:32

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I eat and eat and eat for any reason...emotional eating/boredom/frustration...you name it. Sometimes I don't even remember what I've eaten.

If I am in a "bad" relationship with a man I will easily gain 80-100 lbs.

One thing I can tell you is that the support I've received on this forum FAR outweighs any support anywhere else.
We even started our own group in town that meets for lunch 1x per month.

Good luck! You are not alone!
-Steph
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-08, 14:42
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I'm an emotional eater and when I started - these folks here were my most intimate relationships. I couldn't have done it without the support of these boards on my 2.9 year journey here.
A good book I always suggest to read is "When Food is Love" by Geneen Roth. It's been very helpful to me.
I am still faced by emotional eating - I have learned new tools to cope but sometimes I just cave. Plain and simple. But I pick myself up and start over.
It's about progress....it'll always be a part of my makeup.
I make peace with that part of me on a daily basis.
It's doable but you have to make the commitment to yourself to do it imperfectly (meaning being loving and gentle with yourself when you take those 2 steps backwards - but those baby steps forward soon add up and you're well on your way, sweetie)......it's learning to live in the middle when you have lived in the extremes. You can do it!
You are worth it!
Denise
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-08, 15:16

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

I know what you mean about the drugs and alcohol; food was always my drug of choice, sometimes I wonder if more people would like me and/or find me attractive if I'd been an alcoholic instead

But seriously, you are very welcome here. We will be here for you, I promise!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-08, 15:19
at peace with myself

Plan: Healthy choices
Stats: 201/191.6/144 Female 5 ft 8n
BF:
Progress: 16%

I am an emotional eater too. It is what has caused the lose/ gain cycle that I have been trapped in...

I just like to get "lost" in food and eat without worries and concerns.

I too am without human support....I have plenty of humans in my life, they just hinder me though.

Best wishes for your success. You have to believe that you can do it....and you can!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-08, 16:08

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/210/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%

(Is the original poster still around?) I'm in the same situation. Sole survivor of my family, and friends... well, they probably mean well. Support here is quick and generous, and people are free with information and chat and anything you need to stay on track. It's okay, you do deserve it.

Meg
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-09, 10:35

Stats: 360/360/80 Female 5 ft 3
BF:
Progress: 0%

I hear Cliff and would say YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Louder please!

YOU ARE NOT ALONE

It may be cathartic to keep a journal.

Love

Helena