Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 17:59

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Question Re-Introducing Yeast....

I have a question for those more knowledgeable than I....(probably most of you ) .....

After coming off my anti-candida diet, I've been able to bring back certain foods I eliminated....cheeses, Splenda, and even some low carb crackers....but last week I tried to add a couple slices of low carb bread (Atkins Rye) and it bloated me terribly....and I gained three lbs. I took drastic action...dropped my carbs back down to 20g (I was aiming for 30g at the time) and stopped eating the bread. Bingo...I weighed in this morning and dropped the three lbs. My question: Activated yeast, being a big trigger for me, would other foods with yeast also cause problems because the activated yeast didso? I mean...foods like low carb tortillas, some crackers, and some meat substitutes that use yeast in their ingredient listings, but NOT activated....NOT for the purpose of leavening....are they different enough that they might NOT cause any problems? I'm almost afraid to try them...if they're different, I don't want to treat all yeast alike....

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 14:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

It is hard to tell from your post but here is an idea.

If cheese (which has a yeast in it) does not make you bloat then it may not be the yeast in the bread products but rather an intolerance to wheat or gluten, etc.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 01:55

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

I was not aware that cheese had yeast in it...and I seem to have no trouble with it. But, I also have no trouble with the low carb wraps or tortillas, and the ones I have also have a type of yeast, even though it's not activated. Hmmmm.....

Thanks...