Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-09, 12:28
Registered Member

Plan: ~ CAD ~
Stats: 276.6/272.0/175 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 5%
Question for my Coffee???

i wont get my CAD book until tomorow, so can someone tell me What Do YOU Use In Your Coffee In The Morning? i have read posts that say DO NOT USE ARTIFICIAL SWEETENER - but can i use Coffee Mate or Half & Half or would straight Heavy Cream be better??? and what other guidelines should i follow as far as Coffee is concerned... on CAD that is... anyone?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-09, 15:18
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
you can have anything you want in your coffee with RM. With CM they prefer black, but if you have h&h or cream or AS that is up to you- but you have to finish the coffee in 15 minutes.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-09, 19:00

Plan: CAD & LC
Stats: 203/182/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Lileee,
I did read that half & half can be used because I know I was thinking of buying some for my coffee. I just use regular milk. I don't recall in CAD that they give you a limit to drink your coffee like they do in CALP though. If they do, then I've not been able to follow that. I have a couple cups getting ready for work, a to-go mug and a cup once I get to work. But I know how far I can go. For people new to this WOE, I'd suggest following it to a t and then experimenting to see what you can and can't do and only once you've successfully lost the weight you want to lose. I just have a feeling that they came up with CALP for people that didn't exactly follow CAD and said it was bogus or something. Arrggghhhh....I can't wait for my book to get here!
Cara
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-09, 21:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 289/274/150 Female 5'2"
BF:It sure is!!
Progress: 11%

I drink my coffee with half and half and I have two or three cups a day. I don't limit it to meals or to 15 minutes. It hasn't caused cravings or a stall in my weight loss. Since I don't usually have the snacks my body might just assume that is what the coffee is!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-09, 13:24

Plan: CAD
Stats: 220/218/190 Male 5' 10'
BF:
Progress:

this is the only issue that I don't want to follow. I am studying all the times and I need to drink few coffee a day. I use h&h or cream with splenda. I lose weight but very slowly. maybe one lb per week. I am also craving carbs all the times. I believe this is the reason why. So from now on I will have one coffee with h&h and AS and maybe I will substitute by drinking green tea without anything on it for the rest of the day. it also would be healthy. let's try
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-09, 01:59

Plan: CALP & Exercise
Stats: 236/129/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 111%

Yogiart, as a carb addict, sugar or AS affect our insulin levels. Believe it or not coffee tastes pretty good black. You are going to do whatever you want but if you really want your coffee with cream and sugar then enjoy it with your RM. All you have to do is eat and drink craving reducing foods the rest of the time and those cravings should disappear.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 08:59

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Hoppinn for the information. due to my problem with coffee I will stay on Atkin's for few weeks for now. I know I am yo-yoing like that but I did not want to drink green tea.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 09:00

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ican4Him
I drink my coffee with half and half and I have two or three cups a day. I don't limit it to meals or to 15 minutes. It hasn't caused cravings or a stall in my weight loss. Since I don't usually have the snacks my body might just assume that is what the coffee is!

maybe it is working for you because you are not using AS with your coffee
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 16:12
Registered Member

BF:
Question

what is AS? im still new and i dont understand it when you guys abbreviate things yet...
is there a list of abbreviations somewhere?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 16:36
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/201/170 Female 5'4
BF:too much
Progress: 30%
Default what is AS

I think they are saying Aspartame maybe, Iam new too. I drink heavy whipping cream in my coffee and we can sweeten it with Splenda. It does taste wonderful ! I have lost 7 pounds in 6 days, so the coffee isnt hurting my low carbing. I also use DiVinci sugar free syrup in my coffee along with the cream. I even get creative and add a couple drops of coconut food flavoring to it also. As you can tell I love coffee. Take care, from Dawna
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 17:55

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 288/224.8/180 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 59%

I drink half caff coffee with heavy cream and a teaspoon of Splenda. I can drink up to three cups a day with no side effects.

I cannot use other sweeteners though, as aspertame makes me stall.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 18:29
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lileee
what is AS? im still new and i dont understand it when you guys abbreviate things yet...
is there a list of abbreviations somewhere?

AS means artificial sweeteners. We have a list of abbreviations/acronyms here: http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips003.html
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-09, 02:50
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
AS means artificial sweeteners. We have a list of abbreviations/acronyms here: http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips003.html

Thanks So Much For That List Rosebud...!