Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 09:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/208.5/165 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default Trying a high carb day !!

I am nearing the one year mark and I had great success in the beginning but I have been stalled out now for almost two months. No lbs or inches and my clothes feel just the same. The last couple of weeks I've been feeling a little depressed and kind of irritable. Just out of sorts in general.
Last week I picked up a Sommersizing book at a garage sale and it said that after a few weeks without carbs you will start to feel crappy. Have some bread or rice or something every once in a while to stay on an even keel.
I've decided to give it a go.
SO far I've had 2 bagels and I'm planning on some spaghetti at lunch time and some rice with dinner.
I actually do feel better already. I just went grocery shopping and realised I felt better than I have in several weeks!
If the only thing that happens is that I gain 3 lbs, I know it will be water and I'll lose it in a couple of days. But maybe it will kick start my weight loss and I'll be back to losing. Hope so.
I'll let you know what happens.
Please don't anybody attack me for this, it is just an experiment and I'm not telling anyone else to do it !!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 10:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140.0/121.5/125 Female 5'3
BF:going down!
Progress: 123%

I hope this works for you...
Just letting you know, I go on a high carb day somtimes too.. the only problem for me is, I keep the extra wieght, and keep the pattern of the high carb day to more like a week!
Then get pretty upset with my self-

Its hard eatting all the carb filled goodies, (begals, pizza, pasta ect... )then the next day say thats it~

Hope you can stick with your plan.

NoSunNoFun
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 10:06

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but when "people" say you should up the carbs I don't think they mean "highly processed, white flour, sugary, high glycemic" carbs and especially not in one day. There are plenty of healthy, happy, carbs out there such as apricots, strawberries, raspberries, oranges, tomatos, slow-cooking oats, nuts, seeds, etc. Why would you choose what I call "gut bombs" (bagels in my vocabulary) to up your carbs? Just wondering.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 10:16

BF:

The reason I didn't chose those healthier carbs is because I believe the purpose of this kind of carb up is to replenish your glycogen stores. Strawberries and nuts etc will not do that unless I ate pounds of them!
As I said, it is just an experiment. I've been LCing faithfully for almost a year and this is the first time I have tried anything like this.
I have strong will power so I don't think it will be a problem to get back on track tomorrow.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 10:18

BF:

Forgot to say... the bagels I had were whole wheat!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 10:33

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

This isn't a suggestion on what you should do/should have done, but what I would do if I decided to have a high carb day. It's actually just a moot point since I'm on pre-maintenance right now and have a broader selection of what I eat anyway.

But..... if I was on induction levels and stalled, and going to do a high carb day I think I'd enjoy seasonal fruits like bing cherries and peaches. Something that I couldn't get all year long.

Yum.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 10:46

Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

I would eat alot of fruit and oatmeal
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 10:58

BF:

I di buy some fresh pineapple for dessert today. Can't wait!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 11:06

Stats: 247.5/226/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 18%

First let me say, congratulations on your loss so far. You’re doing fantastic! Second, I did a high carb “free for all” day one time since I’ve been LCing. Now, just be aware that you will probably feel physically not so hot for a couple of days after. You’re body will be out of whack and will probably let you know it’s not happy. Doing this did not help me kick start my weight loss but it did help me very much mentally. After doing this for one pre-planned day I got right back on track the next day and it was great. For as long as I can remember I have felt that the food controlled me. Being able to get right back on the wagon showed me that I had taken the control back. It was liberating but it didn’t help me lose.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 11:13

BF:

Shastagirl,
Thanks for the words of wisdom. I guess I'm hoping that this will be a positive experience and I know for sure I will be back on track tomorrow, as I've come too far to let it all go to pot now.
I'll let you know the results in a few days.
Thanks again.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 11:38
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Lynne! I understand your frustration and on wanting to try something to "get moving" again. Do you workout? Sometimes our body gets used to the same thing so maybe you should switch up your workout.

Good luck with this thing. Let us know how it goes. Next time try sweet potatoes, yam rather than spaghetti and bagels.

red
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 11:48

Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi Lynne - It's really all about you. I think whatever happens you will learn something valuable - either how you processed the food, how you felt after eating it (day one, two and three), what if any response on the scale to this was, again, days one, two and three. It is hard for some people to get back on track - and some don't. You seem to have made a decision that you will get back on track no matter what so like I said, it's all about you and what you want and need. You may find that the types of carbs you are adding don't do what you need - then you can decide if you want to add other carbs as have been suggested. I have learned a lot since doing this - and still can't begin to know how my body will respond to certain foods! One thing I THINK I have learned is that water wieght gain, or response to too much salt seems to have a much more noticeable impact on the scale then when I was low cal low fat. I am trying to take all of this in a build a program that will work for me in the long run!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 13:30

BF:

Thanks Red1cutie and Pecan pie for your replies.
Yes red1, I work out hard all the time. I do the Firm videos, tae bo, bowflex and the treadmill. I still did my workout this morning and I'm drinking lots of water. It is now 3.30pm and I feel sluggish but my heart seems to be beating faster than usual. My body must be in shock from all those carbs.
If you don't hear from me again, send out a rescue party asap!!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 14:40

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Quote:
my heart seems to be beating faster than usual.

That's a pretty common reaction to sugar in the body when someone is intolerant of it. One of my sis-in-laws has this reaction every time she eats sugar--not a good thing (both hubby and my families have blood sugar issues).
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 16:11

BF:

Thanks Lilacotton,
I think you're right. I feel better now and I'm not eating anything else today! My Father and 2 of my siblings have diabetes so I know we have intolerance in our family. I'm hoping that the LC WOE will help me to fight off that dreaded disease or at least delay the onset.
I'll report back in a few days with the results of this day.
By the way, the food really didn't taste THAT great! We're really not missing that much. The only thing I really enjoyed was the bagel!