Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 21:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/138/135 Female 5'7"
BF:I did it!
Progress: 93%
Default I survived summer camp!

My husband and I are both volunteer instructors at a summer camp for children in horse 4-H. All year long I've been wondering how I was going to do at camp as they cook excellent meals--but they contain a lot of carbs! (Spaghetti...mashed potatoes & gravy...french toast, etc.) Part of me thought "what the heck--I'll just forget about Atkins for a week," and the other part said, "no way! you're not going to mess it up now!"

So--I packed a cooler full of legal Atkins foods along with a small propane burner, a couple of gallons of water (to drink, and also in case I burned the cabin down!) and all the legal Atkins snacks I could think of. My husband and I would both go to the lodge for meals--only I'd eat what I could and then give the rest to him. That way I could visit with the rest of the folks for a while, but then just slip away to the cabin where I cooked up my own meal. I made bacon and eggs, steak, weiners and pork chops and ate them along with a large green salad I had prepared at home. Other side dishes and snacks were boiled eggs--cheese--yogurt, Hansen's soda, pork rinds and peanut butter on celery.

I did splurge a little--a couple cups of popcorn and a small slice of watermelon. But--my carb count was still in the 20s by the end of the day so no harm done, and both snacks were bonafied treats after going without them for the past 6 months.

It worked out well and I came home a pound less than when I left. One word of caution though--be sure you know where the fire alarm in your cabin is located--mine didn't like me frying bacon and it went off in the middle of my preparations! Luckily no one was around or came rushing in with a fire extinguisher so I climbed on a chair and removed the battery very quickly!!!

Also--I found out that putting your tossed salad in a tight Tupperware container doesn't work very well. It must sweat or steam or something in there because it was rotten by day #2.

So--if you're headed to Scout camp, 4-H camp, YMCA camp or whatever--YOU CAN DO IT!

Last edited by shoer : Mon, Jul-19-04 at 22:32.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 21:55
I beat you, Tanita!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:13% lower now...
Progress: 100%

Wow! That is awesome. I am very impressed!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 05:40

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

Good 4 U!!! I didnt even try at Boy Scout camp. I just ate whatever was on the munu. The boys cooked for us, so the food was interesting at times.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 05:53

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 499.0/166.0/199.0 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Excellent job and great planning!! WTG.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 06:53

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 211/198/135 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 17%

That's a great idea. I am getting ready to go on vacation and have been worrying about how to plan the meals. I will just take with me what I can eat and then it is solved. Thanks.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 07:38

Plan: My Own
Stats: 258/247/180 Female 5 ft, 5 in
BF:
Progress: 14%

Good job and great planning!!

A little tip on lettuce...or anything leafy for that matter - I always take it out of the bag I bought it in and wrap it in a paper towel and put it back in the bag. The paper towel absorbs the moisture and it lasts longer!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 09:20

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

thats awesome! congrats! and thanks for sharing