Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-01-06, 16:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/216/150 Female 5' 1"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Thumbs down Orowheat Carb-counting bread discontinued

I noticed our two local grocers that were carrying Orowheat LC bread's shelves were pretty bare. Called the company today to find that the LC bread is discontinued. I only have one loaf still in the freezer. It's not great, but better than nothing. Their LC hamburger buns were pretty good. I miss them the most. Has anybody found a replacement for either of these? I'm on the West Coast.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-01-06, 16:23

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

I am not sure if it is sold in your area, but I sometimes use "Healthy Way Bodyconscious" Bread....its pretty decent in my opinion.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-01-06, 17:14

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 326/235/180 Female 6 ft.
BF:
Progress: 62%

I use Healthy Life bread and buns--great, in my opinion.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-01-06, 18:08

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

If you're near a Whole Foods Market, they have in the freezer section "Men's Bread" and "Women's Bread"; both of these products are tasty and LC and full of fiber. Also, here is a link to a store in Bellflower (for mail order)

http://www.vivalowcarb.com/category...=24&startpage=0

and Heavenly Diet Store: these folks are great! Good selection, super friendly.

http://www.heavenlylowcarb.com/index.shtml
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-01-06, 19:22
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftoverq
I noticed our two local grocers that were carrying Orowheat LC bread's shelves were pretty bare. Called the company today to find that the LC bread is discontinued. I only have one loaf still in the freezer. It's not great, but better than nothing. Their LC hamburger buns were pretty good. I miss them the most. Has anybody found a replacement for either of these? I'm on the West Coast.
Noooooooooooooooooo! Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try their Light whole wheat bread and their Sugar Free. Both are fairly low in carbs, but D*MN. I'll have to buy some and freeze it if there's any at the store. I bought the Light just last week, but they had the LC on the shelves then.

Ezekiel bread at Trader Joe's is also okay in carbs.

I'm in the San Francisco area.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-06, 09:01

BF:
Thumbs down

Thanks - all of you. Good websites, saw some LC bread crumbs on there, can use those for sure. AND!! Hamburger buns!!! I'm going shopping today to see what's out there. Our County is kinda remote, not a lot of places to shop - thought mail order would be great. They sure are proud of their stuff, and prices...:-)
We only have Safeway, one IGA store, and 2 independents. I'm sure they would order stuff for me if I could find the right person. Now, if Safeway discontinues the Mission LC tortillas I'm really gonna be mad..........

Last edited by Leftoverq : Wed, Aug-02-06 at 09:03. Reason: "mad" should be icon, icon should be thumbs down
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-06, 15:20
Registered Member

Stats: 320/205/170 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 77%

Was it really so tasty?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-06, 16:41
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I dont eat much low carb bread but whole foods carries Rudi's Organic Bread that only has 5g carbs per slice and tastes really good.

There was also some brand I used to get in Jersey that had like 2g carbs per slice that was amazing but I cant get it out here. That and the Josephs pita that I cant get.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-06, 16:56
Registered Member

BF:
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtotheIzzo
Was it really so tasty?
Yes! It was my favorite bread on those occations I used bread. I still have half a loaf in the freezer and if I see any at the grocery store tomorrow I'll snap 'em up and freeze them, too.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-06, 16:58
Registered Member

BF:
Talking

Quote:
We only have Safeway, one IGA store, and 2 independents. I'm sure they would order stuff for me if I could find the right person. Now, if Safeway discontinues the Mission LC tortillas I'm really gonna be mad..........
Safeway should carry the Oroweat Light and the Sugar Free. Check the shelves. They are also low in carbs.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-03-06, 10:36

BF:
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbirth
Safeway should carry the Oroweat Light and the Sugar Free. Check the shelves. They are also low in carbs.

I went to our Safeway. Found ONE loaf of Orowheat Light and NO Sugar-free. Bummer. Ended up buying the Light, but it has 18 carbs per slice, 7 grams of fiber, 3 grams sugar! The old carb counting has 9 carbs per slice, 3 fiber, 1 sugar. So, will keep looking....... will try to find the sugar-free. Found some sour-doughs with less carbs than other whole-wheat breads.
Go figger!
Leftoverqueen
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-03-06, 17:12
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
I went to our Safeway. Found ONE loaf of Orowheat Light and NO Sugar-free. Bummer. Ended up buying the Light, but it has 18 carbs per slice, 7 grams of fiber, 3 grams sugar! The old carb counting has 9 carbs per slice, 3 fiber, 1 sugar. So, will keep looking....... will try to find the sugar-free. Found some sour-doughs with less carbs than other whole-wheat breads.
Go figger!
Leftoverqueen

That's per TWO slices. Check the serving size.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-03-06, 17:23
Registered Member

BF:

Found the last two loaves on the shelf today and grabbed them. They are now stacked in the back of my freezer.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-03-06, 19:51
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbirth
That's per TWO slices. Check the serving size.

So the light has fewer carbs than the carb counting?
If the serving size is for 2 slices it would mean each has 5.5 and if the carb counting is 9 -3 fiber would make it 6 per slice? Or is that also for 2 slices and its really 3 per slice?

I havent seen this bread at my safeway in a year or so, so I have never really eaten it but I am curious.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-03-06, 20:31
Registered Member

BF:
Cool

The Carb Counting bread is 6 net per slice - serving size is one slice. The Light has (I believe - I'm not at home) 5.5 net per slice, but a serving is two slices (hense the 11g). I *know* this is true of the Sugar Free bread - serving size 2 slices, 7 net carbs per slice (14 per 2 slice serving). I got the Light because it only has 40 calories a slice. And snapped up the last two loaves of Carb Counting at the store today since they are no more.

This is why you have to read the serving size! The pickles I bought said 0 of everything, but guess what - there's 3 servings PER PICKLE. lol