Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 17:17

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 266/249/175 Female 160 cm
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default BACKACHE-Anyone?

Hi Everyone,
I've been LC-ing for a month and on Atkins for three weeks, and just in the last 4 days I have been getting bad lower back ache.Before I started this WOE I had a blood test and it showed that my kidneys are ok, functioning normal. But now I am worried could it be the high protein effecting my kidneys. Otherwise I feel terrific, havent lost a lot of weight but lost inches.
Has anyone experienced this, and what was the outcome.
Thank you in advance.
Etelka
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 17:50
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hiya Soap:
I have not been on Atkins long enough (6 days now) to experience anything other then headache...but if I suspected or feared anything wrong with my Kidneys, I would not hesitate to see my Doctor right away for a check-up.

Good Luck and keep us posted;
Jake
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 18:00

BF:

Hi Jake,
I thought of that BUT my doctor is so ANTI-ATKINS that I know what she would say "get off it now" and I dont want to do that.
This is the only diet that ever worked for me. (i hope)
Anyone else???
Etelka
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 18:29

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Constipation will cause a lower back ache. Are you taking your vitamins and minerals (especially!) like the book says?

Jinx
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 18:54

BF:

MsJinx
Most days I do take the vits.&min , and I do take my physslium(sp?) so I am ok in that department.
Ta
Etelka
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 19:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 311/216/185 Male 5" 9'
BF:
Progress: 75%

How is your water intake? You need those 8 glass (minimum) to help flush out those kidneys. More is even better.
From what I've read, the protein does not cause your kidneys to go bad. That's just an old wives tale that is being passed around as science. Kind of like the low fat is better than low carbs.
However if you have bad kidneys. That another story the kidneys will have a hard time with all the protein.
Are you exercising? Maybe your problem lies somewhere else.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 19:23

Stats: 168/154/135
BF:
Progress: 42%

I had a backache too and posted about it. I got several replies that others had the same. It didn't last long. If it lasts longer than a week or two I would also suggest seeing a doctor.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 22:44

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default If I am not mistaken

You can get sticks that measure protein in urine ( Like ketos sticks ). Ask your pharmacists. How many carbs are you eating. Are you eating plenty vegetables?

Black57
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 23:40
Registered Member

Stats: 215/173/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:40.4+/37.1/ ?
Progress: 65%
Smile Search

There have been several threads on the Atkins forum here about lower backache and how it is not kidneys in most cases. I had a very constant lower back problem for many months which began when I started to LC... I went to my doctor for it three times, tried so many ways to figure it out... which I never did. The last month or so it is basically gone now... who knows!!
So, go to the top of this page, click on Search and then pull down the Atkins forum to do the search in and happy reading!
Cheers, Laurie
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 18:15

BF:

Thank you so much for the help. I drink so much water, that I am about to float off. Vegies - well up to 20 carbs and I have the 2 cups of salad at lunch time. I dont think there is anything wrong with my kidneys bc I just had a blood test before I started and it was ok. It seemed to have eased off a little bit, maybe I just got a chill.
Luv
Etelka
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 08:03

Stats: 255/250/160 Female 5'8"
BF:kiss it goodbye
Progress: 5%

When I approached my doc about it.....the back pain radiating down to the back of the knees (nowhere else and not down the front) I thought childbirth would be less painful. He had asked if I had dropped a bunch of weight in a short time.....which I had (10lbs in less than 2 weeks).
He told me that the pain is likely caused by a quick shift in body fluid (hence going pee every fifteen mins)....which causes you to lose essential electrolytes that maintain muscle function. He told me to pick up some Potassium and Magnesium&Calcium supplements and take them daily until the pain abates then try taking them every other day, etc...until you find a point where you either (A) don't have to take them anymore or (B) are only taking them every couple of days.
Although multivitamins contain these ingredients, they don't contain enough to counteract the quick shift in fluid loss that occurs at various times in any diet.

Thankfully my doc was pro-Atkins (he actually suggested it to me)

Last edited by vashka25 : Wed, May-28-03 at 08:04.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 20:48

BF:

Hi Vashka
Thanks for the reply, I think you hit the nail on the head.
Although my scales have not moved much unfortunatly, BUT I have lost a fair bit in measurments, so I hope the fat is coming off.
And of course I am a permanent fixture in the loo, well not suprised after drinking 3 liters or more of water a day.
Congrats on your good weight loss, I think we both had a same starting point, 115kg is around 255 pounds. I just wish mine would start coming off, I would be so happy if I could lose 15kg by the end of August, as we are going to Fiji, and around the resort and the pool looking like this I'd be a sight for sore eyes. Good luck with your weight loss and keep in touch with your progress.
Thanks again
Etelka