Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 08:55
Registered Member

Plan: Hi fat, hi calories
Stats: 185/185/185 Male 5' 11
BF:
Progress:
Default I'm ready for war! Are you?

Has anyone ever conducted a protest or march outside of the NIH, FDA, etc to promote more research for High-fat, low-carb diets. I am not quite ready to take action yet as I want to more thoroughly investigate the diet phenomenon in the US. But once I do finish I would like to go on an all out crusade on the NIH with all the information I have. There will be no end in site for this cause until I find a satisfactory solution.

What I propose at first is simply writing letters and emails (which I assume will get close to 0 response).

Once this fails I would like to set up a campaign rally or march around the NIH campus to get their attention.

If this yet again presumably fails, I will chain myself somewhere on the campus and eat nothing but cream cheese and bacon all day long until something is done.

With the astronomical amount of evidence against a low-fat diet and in favor of a High-Fat diet I see no reason why we must waste away millions of lives every year. I have never believed so strongly about anything in my life than this and seem to have an endless insatiable passion until something is done.

I have a job at the moment that allows me to be free for extremely long periods of time.

Who's with me!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 09:36
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

ROTFLMAO!!! Eating nothing but cream cheese and bacon *is* far worse than a hunger strike!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 10:35
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%

i'm all for promoting a lower carb, higher fat diet...and protesting our current *dietary recommendations*....
however i dont thinki could eat bacon and cream cheese all day...lol.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 10:58
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Ohhhhhhhh, I could happily eat bacon and cream cheese all day long!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 11:07
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Except that eating cream cheese and bacon all day long isn't what a low carb diet is.

The proof is in the results from those that actually lose the weight and maintain it, improving health conditions that are thought to be causes of eating too much fat, when in reality, high blood pressure, arthritis and many others have been stomped out by many on this board.

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 11:24
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixCarbos
Except that eating cream cheese and bacon all day long isn't what a low carb diet is.

Lisa

True as well...which is probably why the idea repulses me.
I think i eat each of those foods less than two or three times a month.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 12:06

Plan: Almost ZC
Stats: 220/220/140 Female 5'4
BF:Yes
Progress: 0%

There are TONS of vegans and PETA activists who have protested KFC's and Petco's abusive practices. It took them a long time, but some things have been done to correct them. But the reason they worked, was because animals were being horribly neglected or abused.

There is too much money to be made in the low fat industry for any of the "Suits" to change anything. Sort of like cancer. You and I both know there is a cure but once again, $$ is the name of the game.

Don't waste your time and energy on something like this. Besides, the low fat thing works for a lot of people. LC isn't for everyone.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 13:10
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

A low-carb diet is precisely eating high-fat and protein - this is the technical definition. Bacon and cream cheese are just two examples of food that have 0 carbs.

We need an admission to the public from the NIH that they will not condemn the low-carb diet anymore. Our very own federal government is literally killing people faster than they would normally die and in ways that are more severe than they would normally suffer. This must end, or at least have a solid voice of low-carb reason be inserted into the american diet dogma or perhaps at least a small amount of funding supporting zero to few-carb dietary affects on long term health. It is unbelievably outrageous that our government has supported this low-fat diet nonsense and continues to do so based on little to no evidence.

I will also supplement my bacon and cream cheese and drink the heaviest fattiest cream on earth, perhaps the cream that would form if mother nature could mate bacon and cream cheese and have the mother lactate.

What if our medical schools actually taught a single nutrition class to our doctors?

I will devote the next several months to this before doing anything too severe but if chaining myself to a pole on the NIH campus is what it takes I have no problem doing it.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 13:11
Give A Damn

BF:

Low carb does not equate to zero carb.

It is precisely these types of myths that give Atkins a bad rap.

Lisa
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 13:24
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

There is evidence that 0 carb might be the most optimal diet and I have no idea how this would give Atkins a bad rap. This is precisely what I am trying to get at - that dietary fat whether saturated or not is perfectly fine for you and most likely very healthy.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 13:37
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure

I'm wanting to hear about that cancer cure. It doesn't involve toads, graveyards, midnight and stump water, does it?

I guess I'm also wanting to hear about our new genius optimal diet with 0 carbs and lots of long term trials showing its efficacy in the real world and all those incredible medical benefits that are only had by the 0 carb diet.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 14:08
Give A Damn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Kill
There is evidence that 0 carb might be the most optimal diet and I have no idea how this would give Atkins a bad rap.

Because you equate low carb with zero carb. One has nothing to do with the other.

Lisa
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 14:41

Buzzkill, the federal government, the FDA etc.... know they are keeping us sick. They don't care. They are in it for the money. The more sick people, the more grant money they get to "research" disease. I am sure you know that. I am sure you know that eating only bacon and cream cheese, is why LC gets a bad rap. You are wasting your breath and time ,but more power to you.

Have you posted in any other threads on this board besides this one?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 15:24
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsChevious
Buzzkill, the federal government, the FDA etc.... know they are keeping us sick. They don't care. They are in it for the money. The more sick people, the more grant money they get to "research" disease. I am sure you know that. I am sure you know that eating only bacon and cream cheese, is why LC gets a bad rap. You are wasting your breath and time ,but more power to you.

Have you posted in any other threads on this board besides this one?

Most researchers are so specialized that they have the faintest clue as to how the whole entirety of our health can be simplified into a rather succinct direct message. This is one of the greatest faults of our society and it is such a shame to put so much of this good research and mind to waste. I highly doubt most of these researchers are trying to keep us sick. It could be that they hold dearly all their research and can't come to terms with the fact that the underlying cause of chronic disease is actually quite simple. This happens in almost every facet of life. The financial markets analyst with a Ph.D in statistics, who trades for 20 years writing tremendous amounts of code from years of theory only to find out he has never outperformed the market consistently. The baseball manager who played baseball for 20 years and manages for the next 20 that never finds out the optimal way to play the game (though it has basically been figured out by a bunch of baseball statisticians that are never paid attention to)

Perhaps the only way to have them change their mind is to put them to a test. Offer them the only thing they really seem to care about and that is money.

I would love to put a huge multimillion dollar bet down against any of these low-fat fools. Have a well controlled clinical study outlined precisely like Gary Taubes does at the end of GCBC. Perhaps get the two sides together to agree on something. Have both sides put up money to see who is healthier after X amount of years. Hold the money in an interest bearing escrow account and have a team of unbiased experts judge the outcome at the end of the experiment. If they are so confident about their diet then lets have them put their money where their mouth is. I would personally give them odds on their money, perhaps even as much as 5-1, but as a good gambler I probably would attempt them to give the low-carb group odds.

I think this would be an extremely entertaining proposal
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 15:30

Did you lose weight doing low carbs? How much did you lose?