Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-13, 12:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/146/133 Female 160
BF:33%
Progress: 28%
Default Feeling very, very down... Long post.

Money issues are fixed, yay. Not sure if I mentioned this before but I do suffer with Bi Polar Disorder. Trying to get healthy, med free, lose weight, as we want to TTC next Spring/Summer. Plenty of time. However I thought that before the wedding. Its March, I have till August to lose weight. I lost not one fricking pound. My will power is completely gone. I look at my wedding photos and think - thats not me. It looks nothing like me. DH is lovely but at 6"6 and 13 stone he is whippet thin and eats whatever he likes. A pack of chocolate biscuits with sugary cups of tea? A whole pizza? That sort of thing. Makes me CRAZY annoyed. Anyway, I'm also PMS-ing so moving on swiftly.

My body confidence is lower than zero I dont want to leave the house because getting dressed is a nightmare. I have lots of clothes in all different sizes. I cant afford to buy more. Nothing suits me. Not high waisted skirts and tops. Not leggings or jeans or t-shirts or jumpers. I just look a state in everything I put on.

Fridge is full of goodies. Yesterday I roasted a whole chicken, boiled a whole broccoli, a whole cauliflower, chopped it all up and put it in the oven with super cheesy sauce (home made, of course) I ate a bowl full and then filled 3 foil tins and stuck them in the freezer. Tonight I am making a chilli - mince, beans, sweetcorn, passatta, garlic. Some in the fridge for dinner tomorrow, I imagine I'll get 4 foil tins out of it. Plenty of eggs, Philly, chorizo, bacon, mushroom, onion.

So why cant I stop falling off the wagon? Why cant I just say to myself ??? I've succesfully lost weight within 6 months of having a baby previously. I quit smoking a year ago and the weight I gained from that just will not shift. Been at my GPs today in tears and all he's done has double my fluoxetine. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-13, 13:23

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 205/152/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

try not to be jealous of what you're husband is getting away with eating now. it's not healthy and might be an issue at some point in the future. you are eating right, and that's more important for your health. when you get those temptations, eating low carb, the fattier the better. that really helps with cravings and will keep you on track. hang in there!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-13, 15:35

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Everything is relative. I am a lot heavier than you, but I feel great about the way I look because it is so much less than before. I too have lots of clothes in the wardrobe, but if you spend a bit of time trying on different combos, you'll find ways of presenting yourself well. Honestly, I am sure you look lovely, and the worst critic of your extra pounds is yourself.

As far as sabotaging your goals go - a lot of people find that certain foods tend to trigger binges. My trigger is caffeine, particularly coffee. Cutting out all caffeine makes it very easy for me to manage the diet. Perhaps there's a particular food which is triggering you, and if you can identify what it is, then that might help.

Also, make sure you're eating enough. If you're hungry, you'll end up craving the wrong things. Better to eat adequate amounts before hunger strikes.

It's worth trying a specific diet, such as Atkins, as that will give you a simple framework and definite guidelines. it worked very well for me, and I am absolutely sure it will help you too, if you give it time.

Hope you feel better tomorrow.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-13, 17:02

Stats: 238.0/238.0/170 Female 5"3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

What is TTC?

I too have a thin tall husband. His preferred food group is bread and potatoes. We've been together forever and I accept he can eat things I cannot.

It sounds like you might need a specific plan to lose. I'm following low-carb, but will be changing my profile to show Atkins, instead of Idiot Proof Diet. IPD was in fact my (originally) inspiring book, but the website doesn't help as much as this one does.

Personally, I could not eat beans (legumes) and sweet corn to lose weight. I eat mostly eggs, meat (the fattier the better), leafy veg (salads with full-fat creamy dressing) and stuff like crack slaw and Mexican casserole. The latter two are on this site under Low Carb - Recipes - Main Dishes. They, along with Chicken Fingers, are staples for me.

I do wish you all the best and hope you find your answers here, as I have.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-13, 17:08

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Well, you've discovered how to maintain your current weight... at your current carb intake. Do you know how much that is?

If you are eating beans and sweetcorn, you might be eating too many carbs.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-13, 18:44

Plan: General
Stats: 214.0/206.8/192.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 34%

With a history of recent smoking cessation, get a thorough thyroid evaluation by someone up to date and progressive about it and understands a reference range is exactly that and not necessary synonymous with "optimal". Including autoantibodies. Multiple citations in the literature of smoking cessation causing hypothyroidism, including autoimmune varieties.