Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-12-04, 18:02

Plan: Drs Bernskins
Stats: 260/232.4/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:lots
Progress: 28%
Question Blood sugar changing 30 points in less than 2 min?

Hi All,

I follow Dr. B diet and run an Ac1 of about 5.5. I have noticed lately that my BG meter is giving me readings 20-30 points above normal for the same amount of carbs ingested as would be usual for the meal in question.

I do test my strips everytime I open a box and check twice to see if there is a big variation before I use the strips on me (there is not...maybe 7 points). I will test as normal and see that my BG is way out of whack like 20-30 points so I retest and it is down to my usual reading.

Called the help line that produces my meter and told them what is happening. It doesn't happen every day but I few times a week and I do know how to test and know if I have made a boo-boo with the amount of blood or what ever and re-test. I am wasting a lot of strips and I could accept one box but 2?

Anyway, the young woman who anwered had me do all kinds of stuff to make sure that the meter was doing what ever meters are suppose to do electronically. Her answer to me that the problem was that my BG could vary as much as 20-30 points in under a 2 minute period. I am confused as it never did before???

Any knowledge anyone could throw my way would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Nancy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-04, 01:50

Plan: Free-range
Stats: 161/154/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 33%

I'm sorry you haven't had a reply Nancy..maybe it is because we all suffer these unexplained highs from time to time. Only thing I can think of is whether you had touched something beforehand that could have left a residue which was picked up by your meter.
I know this has happened to me on occasions.
Is it still happening..?? Is it a new meter..?? Sometimes new meters require slightly different techniques ...
Fingers crossed the problem has gone away....
Cheers...Eve
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-28-04, 12:58

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Well, personally... if I recall correctly, values aren't supposed to vary more than 20% or the meter is suspect. (Many meters shoot for about a 10% variation at most.)

If there's more than 20% difference between the tests, I'd push them to send you a new meter... have read on diabetes forums that many makers will.

Have also heard that if you do retest quickly like you did, one is supposed to do it on a different finger.

I think one way to check the machine is to get 2 test strips ready, draw one pretty big drop of blood on your finger, touch it to one and see what the result is, then pull that test strip out and insert the other and test w/the same big droplet. (This is easier to do with some of the more modern testing devices that require only a tiny amount of blood, of course.)

I think there may be a discussion, if I recall correctly, about meter stuff like this at the forum at www.diabetes.about.com
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-29-04, 12:15

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 128/115/128 Female 68
BF:
Progress:

I've had my blood sugar do the same thing. I once saw a graph of blood sugar taken once every minute on a diabetic and it spiked and dropped all over the place, but overall made a general rise and fall in response to food. Its just not a smoothe line, but jumps around quite a bit and therefore I think of it as giving me a general idea of where my blood sugar is. I've tested my own a minute a part and had 10 point differences. Especially when I'm under some kind of stress causing them to be higher than usual. Anyway, I hope that helps and good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-29-04, 12:41
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Well, I've got the same problem with my old meter, my Bg readings were all over the place, even taken few minutes apart. Usually, it's a sign that the instrument has drifted from the calibrated range. So, I'v called the manufacturer and they said that most meters are calibrated to+/- 20%. I wasn't satisfied since my readings were outside this range, so they offered to replace my meter with new (calibrated) one. I have OneTouch ULtra by LifeScan. They have really good customer support.
Since then all my readings taken within few minutes are never more than 5 points apart. Sounds like your meter needs to be recalibrated.
Regards,
Dina
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-30-04, 11:16

Plan: Drs Bernskins
Stats: 260/232.4/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:lots
Progress: 28%

Hi and thanks for all your responses! My blood sugar and meter are now both behaving...after 2 boxes of strips.

But I really appreciate all the responses!

nancy