Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 12:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Progress: 0%
Default how can I cook it??????

I have this BIG roast Beef in the freezer. I always cooked my roasts with cream soup. How can I cook it to be legal and so that it won't dry out?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 12:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/189/140
BF:
Progress: 18%

If you have a crockpot, season it and cook it in there. I oftern add a packet of Au Jus and it give the meat a wonderful flavor, it is oh so tender and LOW CARB!!!
Good luck!
Kim
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 12:33

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Beef

I roast mine in the oven and it doesn't dry out...cook it fat side up at 325 for about 40 minutes a pound...

Donald
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 12:43

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I've got a big chuck roast in the oven right now. I used 1 package of onion soup mix (yes, I know it has carbs, but even if I were to consume 1/4 of the pan juices, it would give me 5 grams of carb) and 1/2 cup of water. Cook it covered in a slow oven (about 325 degrees) for 3 or 4 hours. Tender and juicy every time.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 12:46

Default thanks

#6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 13:12

Stats: 207/103/105 Female 66
BF:Way too much
Progress: 102%

Do you have a roasting rack?

I season lightly (no salt) , place the meat on the roasting rack fat side up and put about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of water in the bottom of the pan. Not enough so it touches the meat, but the water will give the oven a moist environment.

Set the oven for 325, forget it till about half way thru the cooking process, than start basting the meat with butter and seasonings till it is done. I use a convection oven so I cook about 20 min per lb. I'm not sure how long it would take in a conventional oven.

****OR***

Use indirect heat on your charcoal grill and follow the above instructions.

Did a prime rib last weekend on the grill and it was GREAT.

Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 13:27

It would also be great cooked in a smoker but my husband built a huge one and sold it after he got me spoiled. Hasn't had a chance yet to build another. I sure miss it.

#8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 14:19
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi LadyBug555:

I have a smoker (stovetop and a water smoker) but I've never done beef in it. Not really sure why. I think I read somewhere that it didn't turn out that well. I'll surely be trying it smoked next time. It's the best way to eat meat.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 14:23

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Thumbs up

For our big family dinner at Christmas we roasted a 10 lb rib roast after encrusting it in coarse, Kosher salt.

It was delicious, moist, juicy, and not salty in any way.

Rubbed with herbs and pepper before applying the salt crust, then remove the crust after roasting is completed. Takes a little longer to cook, 15-20 minutes, but very, very tasty roast beef.

Needs to be a big roast though, like 6 pounds or larger.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 15:10

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2

I put mine in a crock pot with onion soup mix and water, it's wonderful and tender - and so easy, no muss, no fuss.

Enjoy.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 15:24
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I put it in a crockpot too with cut up onions, celery and mushrooms and then dump 1/4 cup of soy sauce and a small can of any lower carb tomato sauce (del monte is like 4 for 1/4 cup).

Makes a rich gravy that I don't need much of and it's falling apart by nightfall.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 18:29

Yes smoked meat is the best!! REAL smoked with a smoke ring....no sauce.
This roast is over 10 lb. rib roast. I have a 6 qt crockpot but it won't fit. I will do oven and use a roasting bag to be safe...
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 19:15

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Oh, yes. For a rib roast, I would either use a roasting bag or rub an herb rub on it mixed with olive oil and sear it in the oven first at a high temperature like 450 degrees for the first 20 minutes, then turn it down to about 350 degrees until the internal temperature is where I want it (I usually cook my rib roasts between rare and medium rare). A nice cut of meat like that should never be overcooked.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 20:21

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

I agree with Lisa. You definately want to do a rib roast in the oven. You also shouldn't worry about drying it out since there is a high fat content... YUM. That is why they taste so good.

If you could, please send down to FL a big thick slab with horseradish sauce.

I season my beef with garlic, basil, thyme, majoram, kosher or sea salt, black pepper and ground mustard. Gee, I hope they have rib roast on sale at the grocery store this weekend. That would be a great Sunday meal!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 21:54
Registered Member

Stats: 350/340/186
BF:
Progress: 6%
Post For large rumpus style roasts

I agree that a crockpot makes a great roast. But, during the winter, when the house is chilly I do the crock pot thing in the oven. I have large dutch oven/caserole thing I inherited and it can go in the oven. I brown about a tablespoon of diced onions(gotta watch them carbs) in olive oil in the pot, stir, and when they start to sweat well I toss in about five large cloves of sliced garlic.

When I start to swoon from the smell of garlic I empty the pot of the onions and garlic, add more olive oil and brown the roast, then take it out of the pot. Then I put the flame on low. add about a quarter cup of water and scrape the gunk off the bottom and sides of the pot. Then I toss back the onions and garlic and put the roast on top and put the lid on . Turn off the top of the stove burner.

Put the roast in the oven, middle rack. Turn on the oven to a really low setting, about 180-200 degrees and let it sit in the oven about 6 hours for a large roast. Small I don't know because we always make large ones. It comes out great, the house smells great, and if you live in a small place, it even makes the house less chilly.

You could add some things to the roast, like actual seasonings but I just use some of the light salt at the talble to get the potassium. Its actually pretty good.

slowday