Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-08, 05:08
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%
Default Fat kids, Time's national shame

Fat kids, Time's national shame
Kerry Howley says overweight children need help, not humiliation. Kay Hymowitz says parents must help children develop the bottle within.
June 24, 2008

Today's question: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says the growth of childhood obesity has leveled off, yet Time magazine just devoted a special issue to tubby tots. Is this a growing problem or just a moral panic? Kerry Howley and Kay Hymowitz debate the politics of children. Yesterday, they discussed the teen pregnancy pact. Later this week, they'll discuss fertility rates and other topics.

Say no to Wild Bubble Berry Pop-Tarts

Point: Kerry Howley

Kay,

As with the teen pregnancy rates we discussed yesterday, child obesity rates have shifted dramatically over the last two decades -- but this trend line has been moving in the wrong direction. Given the risks of Type II diabetes, it's a problem that about 19% of 6- to 11-year-olds are obese. We can blame adults who make themselves sick Morgan-Spurlock-style, but you can't hold a 7-year-old responsible for Coke-and-Frito dinners.

It's tempting to blame marketers who sit around dreaming up ads for SpongeBob SquarePants Wild Bubble Berry Pop-Tarts -- and I fear the mind that developed that product -- but kids probably absorb fewer food-related advertisements than they did before obesity was deemed an "epidemic." According to research by George Mason University law and economics scholar Todd Zywicki [pdf], kids' exposure to such advertisements has either remained constant or declined over the last 15 years. Either Cookie Crisp commercials have become miraculously more effective over time, or kids are expanding for other reasons.

Parents are obviously suspect here, but accusing them won't do much to help the kids they're overfeeding. I'm supportive of targeted interventions in school districts where the problem is worst, most of which are in the South and Southern parts of the Midwest. (Public school kids in Boulder, Colo., don't seem much in need of dietary advice.) There is no defensible reason to serve pizza and Tater Tots in school lunch rooms, which I recall as a highly anticipated offering in my elementary school cafeteria.

Because there is evidence that the increases in child obesity are mostly due to a decrease in exercise rather than an increase in caloric intake, perhaps public schools ought to put the focus on getting outside. (If daily physical education classes have a notable effect, I'm all for them, though my memories of P.E. generally involve waiting motionless in the outfield for a ball to come my way. We may have also watched some educational films about the benefits of physical activity.)

That said, Time’s cover story -- which manages to disappoint from the cover line onward -- gets a little too excited about the threat of giant children. "There is no way to overestimate how scary numbers like this are," a scientist tells journalist Jeffrey Kluger. Um, actually there is -- and there are reasons to wonder whether some programs, such as weighing kids at school and sending them home with "fitness report cards," might do more harm than good. As my colleague Radley Balko has pointed out, kids under 18 are far more likely to suffer from eating disorders than they are from Type II diabetes. Stigmatization -- while perhaps less frightening than SpongeBob Pop-Tarts -- comes with its own dangers.

Kerry Howley is a senior editor at Reason magazine.
---------------------------------------------------------

Nagging children long to eat garbage
Counterpoint: Kay Hymowitz

I agree with a lot of what you say about childhood obesity, though I would give parents more grief than you do. The schools shouldn't be let off the hook, of course. Ketchup is not a vegetable, and if we're being honest, neither are fries. And whose brilliant idea was it to cancel recess? According to a widely cited study, 40% of schools are either planning or have already cut out this supposed waste of children's time.

Still, kids do most of their eating and non-exercising outside of school hours, when parents are in charge. (Also, doctors are seeing an awful lot of fat 2-year-olds, who haven't yet had the pleasure of cafeteria lunches.)

Granted, parents don't have it easy today. Remember that obesity is an artifact of contemporary affluence. I don't mean you have to be rich to be fat; on the contrary, rates of childhood obesity are highest in poor rural areas and among minority kids. But the abundance of cheap, processed and pre-prepared food is something new in human history. Even I'm old enough to remember when you didn't walk down the street -- or through the mall -- and spy temptation with every step.

Today, in order to teach self-control -- one of the key things parents do -- they either have to blindfold their kids or prepare for psy-ops every time they leave the house. Can I have (pick your poison): ice cream, pizza, potato chips, Gummi Bears? Can I have a big Whopper for dinner? A Coke for breakfast? If you do, I'll walk the dog. If you don't, I'll throw myself on the ground and hold my breath. Puhlease!?

It makes no sense to blame Big Soda or Big Burger for this state of affairs. They're simply producing what people -- mostly adults, by the way -- want to buy. I suppose you could ban TV advertising directed at younger children as the Swedes and Norwegians have done. But these days, television is just a drop in the marketing ocean. My kids rarely watched television, but every trip to the supermarket or drug store meant war. What kept them at a reasonable weight were good genes -- a gift not to be underestimated -- and a heartless mother.

Still I agree, despite the genuine health concerns, that childhood obesity has prompted too much heavy breathing. Did Newsweek really think it necessary to repeat the phrase "the terrorist threat from within?" Did Time need to put a kid so gross he could have amused Diane Arbus on its cover? Let's not forget: Obesity is not just for kids. In a neat but depressing irony, Mike Petrilli of the Fordham Foundation has estimated that overweight teachers are costing schools $2.5 billion annually in healthcare costs. Somehow, I doubt that's because they've been eating at the school cafeteria.

Kay Hymowitz is a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute and contributing editor of City Journal. Her most recent book is "Marriage and Caste in America: Separate and Unequal Families in a Post Marital Age."

http://www.latimes.com/news/printed...0,3621726.story
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-08, 07:27
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I thought these were both good points:

Quote:
kids under 18 are far more likely to suffer from eating disorders than they are from Type II diabetes.

Quote:
estimated that overweight teachers are costing schools $2.5 billion annually in healthcare costs. Somehow, I doubt that's because they've been eating at the school cafeteria.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-08, 07:45

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

I would question the correlation of less exercise and more obesity as being a primary cause of the problem. It certainly contributes, but my experience with school lunches and eating habits of the average American lead me to believe this is the primary cause. Even your supposedly healthy school lunches, include tons of starches and a fair amount of sugar. At ours, macaroni salad counts as a vegetable.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-08, 18:40
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
We can blame adults who make themselves sick Morgan-Spurlock-style, but you can't hold a 7-year-old responsible for Coke-and-Frito dinners.

It's tempting to blame marketers who sit around dreaming up ads for SpongeBob SquarePants Wild Bubble Berry Pop-Tarts -- and I fear the mind that developed that product -- but kids probably absorb fewer food-related advertisements than they did before obesity was deemed an "epidemic."

The parents are absorbing the ads and buying the products for the children - maybe there should be a ban on junk food ads during shows that are directly marketed at fully grown adults *wink*
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-08, 18:50
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

I see a lot of overweight teens these days in much greater numbers than when I was a teen. I see them lining up at the Fruitalatti kiosk at the mall for a 600 calorie mocha latte. We didn't have Wild Bubble Berry Pop-Tarts (and the strawberry ones were gross) and we didn't have 600 calorie cups of coffee.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-08, 18:55

Plan: My Own
Stats: 215/212/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I'm starting to be firmly convinced that it's lowfat that's doing it. That, and possibly inadequate protein.

My classmates in the 70s ate cafeteria food, and it wasn't any healthier then (and nobody ate the veggies even if they were served)....most of them watched a lot of TV....they all ate cookies after school and desserts after meals. And they were all slim.

It's true that some of them were more active, but my friends and I sat around playing make-believe at recess, and tried to keep to the back of the batting lineup in gym class, and we were still normal-weight.

The only thing that seems to have changed is that kids are given lowfat food starting at age 2, and no one seems concerned about whether they get enough protein, as long as the fat content is low.

Even if it's proven that kids -are- less active, my theory is it's the lowfat and low protein food making them sluggish, and that they overeat trying to take in enough nutrients to grow. It takes an awful lot of plain spaghetti and lowfat fruit-flavored yogurt to get all the fat and protein a kid needs!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-08, 19:11
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

I see teenagers eating 4-5000 calories a day of mostly crap in the form of 64 oz Cokes, pizza, burgers, latte and cookies the size of Rhode Island. The variety and quantity of junk food available to kids is mind-blowing. The portions are huge compared to the 70s. I was at the mall today and I saw few normal sized teens. A few were very thin and obviously dieting and the rest of them were significantly overweight. It's scary.