Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 10:02

Plan: Atkins/Cigarettes/Coffee
Stats: 146/135/120 Female 5f 4
BF:Oink,Oin,O
Progress: 42%
Default Fruit? And sugar questions...

By experiance....how much fruit a day is ok to eat? I dont know and I dont want to over do it before I do it lol.Is 2-4 strawberrys to much everyday??(not on induction)Also Do I need to worry about sugar in things if Im counting the carbs in the product?? Or is sugar just plain bad period? THanks in advance Yes I read the book Im just confuzzled a bit
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 10:16
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

You'll get LOTS of different answers to this question, so be prepared! As for fruit, 2-4 strawberries is totally fine. I usually had more than that during OWL. Depending on what carb level of OWL you're at, you can afford more fruit, like half a small apple, more berries, etc.

Sugar: Well, I personally don't mind the tiny amounts of sugar in some products, like ranch dressing. If sugar is listed near the top of the ingredient list, though, I'd stay away. Some purists will tell you that a drop of sugar, corn syrup, honey or other sweetener is a no-no, but you gotta live a little, right? I don't stress myself out about a gram here and a gram there. Just my two cents!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 10:57

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Hi Monica,

With how much fruit, it depends on you and where you are carb wise. I have easliy had 2 servings of fruit a day with no problems in OWL. Berries, melons, 1/2 apple all of those I have incorporated back into my diet. Just count your carbs and see if the fruit causes any cravings. I do combine eatting my fruit with some protein/fat usually to slow any impact. I'll have a chunk of cheese with some strawberries or put peanut butter on my apple slices for a light meal or snack. Just play around with it to see what works for you.

On the sugar, I agree with Hilary. I try to get products that do not have any sugar added, but I love my ranch dressing that does have a small amount of sugar. I judge by where on the list of ingredients it falls and how many carbs are in the product. Good luck and have fun

Marie
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 11:13

Thanks you both for replying!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 11:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/155/145 Female 5'6"
BF:31/26/20
Progress: 79%

Hey Monica26....
I have been curious about this myself. I checked in two places, I think the best place for you to look would be: www.atkins.com and then get the carb gram counter.

Also if you google "Glycemic Index" there are several sites where you can get the GI and GL of certain foods.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 13:08
Former Couch Potato

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Hi again Monica!

I agree with Hilary - I never worried too much about sugar in mayo, or whatever. I avoided anything that had sugar in the first three or four ingredients though, no matter what the carbs (worried about cravings).

After week 3/4 I ate around 6-7 large frozen strawberries or 12-15 raspberries daily in my breakfast protein shake. For much of my journey, I would also have an additional 3/4 - 1 cup of berries two times a week for dessert with whipped cream (sweetened with Splenda).

About 10 lbs away from goal, I added additional lower GI fruits maybe 1 or 2x a week, such as an apple, 2-3 apricots, 1 small peach, .5 cup melon, etc.

Around goal, and since I've been working out more, I can eat 2 servings of fruit daily with no cravings or gains. I generally still have my berries for breakfast, and will usually have my other piece of fruit just prior to my workout.

There's a helpful article on the Atkins site called "Moving Beyond Berries" that outlines which fruits are best to add first, based on their glycemic index.

Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 13:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've been eating fruit since my orchard is maturing and it (was) strawberry season. My weight loss slowed some, but still losing inches and I'm not suffering from insulin related repurcussions of the extra carbs. I was eating up to 5 or so apricots a day. Now the apricots are gone *cry* but the nectarines are ripe. So eating 1 or 2 of those per day.

Strawberries I was gourging on eating 12 or more per day. But I count calories as well as carbs, I'm in OWL.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 15:19

thanks I love my strawberrys!