Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-04, 13:33

Plan: Own
Stats: 145/114/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 124%
Default Not dealing well

Hello everyone. I just found this site a week ago, and have gotten to know some of you just by reading your posts. I have a question for anyone out there. My husband is EXTREMELY supportive of my efforts to lose weight, and although I know I'm "within normal range", I used to weigh under 100lbs at all times. At that time, I was anorexic and unhealty, and I'm pretty much just trying to tone up and feel better, but it's SO hard to not slip back into losing those last few pounds the "easy" way. I have days that I feel okay, and then I can feel absolutely disgusting. I am trying really hard and doing well so far, but the last little "jiggles" on my stomach and thighs are really getting to me. My husband says he'll support whatever I do (i.e. hiring a personal trainer), but that get's so expensive! Any suggestions for losing the last little bit/maintaining that positive attitude? Thank you! Also- I'm LOVING this site so far! So many of you have such good attitudes and are so supportive of eachother! I think just reading your comments are helping!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-04, 13:44
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Welcome, and please keep reading.
Your health is obviosly your main focus, so please stay with your healthy eating and not slip back into your ED. Working out in a healthy way is one way to feel better about your body, as it is toned, but you don't have to have a personal trainer. Don't know what you are doing already, but there is a great area on the site about all kinds of exercise. Curves is a terrific and easy program to join, and is very inexpensive. Please know that all bodies jiggle and have lumps and bumps- it's part of being human.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-04, 13:55
Round 2

Plan: RNY & LowCarb
Stats: 270/180/160 Female 5'10
BF:sz 24/sz16/sz8
Progress: 82%

Welcome to the forum, and hopefully you might think about joining in the journals too? It's a nice place to record your daily doings, thoughts, questions, whatever..and alot of times get helpful feedback from others.

I'd recommend that you do alot of reading through posts in here, about issues that are specific to your needs.. but it looks like you've already started that... so bravo to you for taking your first step toward the 'you' that you want to be.

Take each day as it comes, use the support your husband is offering you, and educate yourself.

Hope to see you around,

Michelle
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-04, 15:44
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

Welcome...

It sounds like you've made great strides towards having a healty positive view of your body and weight...

But it is very true that having some of those bumps and lumps are perfectly normal! We are so bombarded with the perfect "10's" on TV, maganizes and newspapers... they are not the norm. In fact even models will tell you that some of their photos are re-touched!

If you want to improve the overall shape of your body I would recommend some sort of a workout program. If you don't want to spend the money at a gym look into some tapes that involve some type of strength training (ie The Firm) along with aerobic activity. If you can combine weight training with cardio in a gym environment I think you might see some of the results you want.

And BTW.... even after losing 50 pounds I still look in the mirror and see the fat me and feel all those lumps and bumps. It's tough to change our own vision in the mirror and see the real person we are.

Good luck!
Kiks
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-04, 07:28

BF:

Thank you all for your great advice! I am working out 5 days a week, 35-45 minutes of cardio, and some strength training with free weights. I just feel like I have hit that "plateau" and my body doesn't want to go any further! It's so frustrating! My husband thinks I have a "body image disorder" where I look in the mirror and see something that isn't there. He has been wonderful at telling me how sexy I am to him and I couldn't ask for a better man! But I don't think this is anything he can get me through. I think I need to come to grips with the fact that I may always be a little uncomfortable and that it may just be "in my mind". But let me tell you, it is really nice to have you all to talk to and know that there are others that feel the same frustrations that I do! I have posted on another forum that I am having trouble following "The Firm". They move so fast and don't really teach you the steps, and I am so used to my Susan Powter tape (which I still love, but has gotten too easy). I love step aerobics, but the firm has been frustrating! Maybe I need to really sit down and learn the steps first! Thanks again to you all! If anyone knows a good step workout, let me know!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-04, 10:03

Plan: Body for Life
Stats: 168/123/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 136%

Try something by Gin Miller - they are nice step workouts without too much 'fancy' stuff. If you decide you like the fancier stuff, move up to Cathe Friedrich or Mindy Mylrea.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-04, 08:01

BF:

Thanks! I'll look into those! I've got to get over this flu...which I actually think might be walking pnemonia! Yuck! I have no energy and haven't worked out for two days, so I feel really out of it!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-04, 08:05

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

I'm a fan of pilates, for toning and tightening. I do the mat workout each morning (about 40 minutes) and it's not only toned me, but returned flexibility.
The Winsor pilates has a money-backed guarantee.

I think, since you recognize that you may have body image "issues" that it would be better money spent to spend some time with a counselor (over a personal trainer) who specializes in eating disorders.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-04, 08:08
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

If you're not feeling well listen to your body. It is better to give your body time to heal and get better than to try and push yourself if you're not feeling well.

And I've had walking pnemonia... so I know it's not fun. Get yourself taken care of at the Dr.

Hope you're feeling better soon!
Kiks
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-16-04, 07:06

BF:

My husband and I have talked about me talking to some one. I'm not completely opposed to it. Like I said, I want to feel good about myself. I too have the Winsor Pilates and like them very much. I was doing the 20 minute after aerobics on my non-weights days and noticed a difference. When I get back on my feet, I want to start them up again! I think I'm going to attempt the Firm again this weekend!